Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cast 'walkaway' and the last match at the Goldstone..

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
strange how I can remember some of the games there as if it was yesterday ....yet ask me what I was actually doing yesterday and I might not be able to tell you.
great bit of film and a time never to be forgotten and friends who went through it with me never to be forgotten

we do have history:albion2:

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Awesome. Still amazing how a place so special, so seemingly permanent, could be destroyed so quickly.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Indulge me with a little Jumpers For Goalposts moment.

Paying £2 to get in. The smell of Bovril from the East Terrace. Standing on a beer crate. Perimeter adverts for Radio Rentals, Redifusion, Bollom Dry Cleaners, the Seagull Line. The ever present broken windows in the back of the West Stand. The little shop at street level, later replaced by the portakabin to the left of the stand. My Dad driving us down, parking in Wilbury Villas (or something like that) and walking to the ground. Walking back and listening to James Alexander Gordon reading the results (which you had no idea of until that point), preceded by the unmistakeable theme tune of Sports Report on BBC Radio 4 LW (?). Just hearing this tune takes me right back there.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
The song that signifies the 'troubles' for me is "Monaco- So what do you want from me."

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Such a good song. I link it to Linford Christie and his false start and exit.

I'd quite like it to be played at my funeral as I make my final exit towards the unknown, quickly followed by Always Look on the Bright Side of Life.

Indulge me with a little Jumpers For Goalposts moment.

Paying £2 to get in. The smell of Bovril from the East Terrace. Standing on a beer crate. Perimeter adverts for Radio Rentals, Redifusion, Bollom Dry Cleaners, the Seagull Line. The ever present broken windows in the back of the West Stand. The little shop at street level, later replaced by the portakabin to the left of the stand. My Dad driving us down, parking in Wilbury Villas (or something like that) and walking to the ground. Walking back and listening to James Alexander Gordon reading the results (which you had no idea of until that point), preceded by the unmistakeable theme tune of Sports Report on BBC Radio 4 LW (?). Just hearing this tune takes me right back there.

As a non smoker - The smell of fags ! the smell of fags in the open air ALWAYS reminds me of the Goldstone. Remember the half time scores being put up on those little alphabetical signs running along pitchside and walking in the road blocking the traffic after the game at the top of Sackville Road.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Cracking band and cracking song.

In answer to the question, yes, I have it on video either here or at my parents place. We have 2 tapes choc-full of all the stuff from the 'war years' culminating in plenty of footage from the Hereford game!

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
:(

The future is bright, but the past still painful. I would give a lot just to be back there for one moment, just to see if it's all like I remember it.

Sums it up! Couldn't have worded it any better!
Very moving, man enough to say that I shed a little tear watching that (again)!

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I love the Amex to bits, but this will still have me crying like a girl...

That bought a lump to my throat! God I miss that place! Still get goosebumps over Storer's goal - and the North Stand erupting after Jimmy Case's goal against Norwich!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Would make a lovely terrace anthem:

If you've played all the games they've played,
You played them yesterday,
Just walk away, walk away
If you've been , where they wanna go, seen all they've got to show,

And now you must believe me, you never lose your dream,
So now you must believe me, we never lose our dreams

edna krabappel