Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2021/22 Edition

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Southwick to ground share at Whitehawk next season.

Good from a practical perspective, may lead to more postponements though as the pitch does suffer in winter.

Good that they have somewhere to play next season of course, but sad in so many ways that Southwick have no where of their own to play.

I well remember their old ground, a wonderfully atmospheric old stadium from my visitgs there with Horsham YMCA.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Do you know why? I was looking forward to getting back to OBW this season.

Good that they have somewhere to play next season of course, but sad in so many ways that Southwick have no where of their own to play.

I well remember their old ground, a wonderfully atmospheric old stadium from my visitgs there with Horsham YMCA.

[MENTION=528]attila[/MENTION] was reporting earlier in the month across media that Southwick will be away from OBW for a couple of years (ground needs to be developed). Also mentioned that they were talking to Whitehawk.

I was sent a message in FB from someone else saying that it has been agreed. However, I'm not convinced this is the case as I have found nothing in the Hawks discussion groups and no further updates from John. (So apologies for jumping any guns -I normally check these things, so bad me this time).

But, from what John says (and he should know), Southwick are away for two years and have been talking to Hawks.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Such a shame about Whyteleafe. The senior team are saying they paid the £50k debt to the new owners even though they disputed the need to pay it but wanted to show good faith. Really hope it gets resolved for them.

As for Southwick they are ground sharing for a good reason: Russel Martin Academy, who run the Hove Park 3G, are going to be the landlords at Old Barn Way but need to do various works on the site so not available during the works. I'm guessing they'll put in a 3G there too so they can rent it out. Had seen talk on Twitter about it but nothing official from Hawks though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Such a shame about Whyteleafe. The senior team are saying they paid the £50k debt to the new owners even though they disputed the need to pay it but wanted to show good faith. Really hope it gets resolved for them.

As for Southwick they are ground sharing for a good reason: Russel Martin Academy, who run the Hove Park 3G, are going to be the landlords at Old Barn Way but need to do various works on the site so not available during the works. I'm guessing they'll put in a 3G there too so they can rent it out. Had seen talk on Twitter about it but nothing official from Hawks though.

Makes sense although Wickers always used to rent out OBW at times anyway. I can remember playing in [MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION] 's leaving do there back in the day and stretched my 40 something legs in a charity game with the Southwick Rangers coaches there a couple of years ago. Neither were pretty :lolol:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Makes sense although Wickers always used to rent out OBW at times anyway. I can remember playing in [MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION] 's leaving do there back in the day and stretched my 40 something legs in a charity game with the Southwick Rangers coaches there a couple of years ago. Neither were pretty :lolol:

:lolol::lolol:

As I wrote the bit about renting out I was worried it might sound like I was being negative about it. I'm not was just an observation and better it is a much used venue than hardly used at all in my opinion. Also mean there will be RMA kids sessions there too.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
For years the club was run by a group of half dozen who did everything, sadly they have passed.
Albion used the facility for an academy for a few years much to the annoyance of some of the locals......

Quite, for the work tournament, we didn't have matching kits so I just brought along all my old Brighton home shirts and we wore them. Tackles started to fly in two footed, which we then learnt that the other offices playing were from Selhurst, Norwood and Streatham Hill! Don't think they were pleased with the shirt choices.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
[MENTION=528]attila[/MENTION] was reporting earlier in the month across media that Southwick will be away from OBW for a couple of years (ground needs to be developed). Also mentioned that they were talking to Whitehawk.

I was sent a message in FB from someone else saying that it has been agreed. However, I'm not convinced this is the case as I have found nothing in the Hawks discussion groups and no further updates from John. (So apologies for jumping any guns -I normally check these things, so bad me this time).

But, from what John says (and he should know), Southwick are away for two years and have been talking to Hawks.

Interesting, I though it was a 'fixing up'; job rather than a redevelopment

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Has Ian Rush made a statement

A lot of talk locally that the Holding Company is a Singaporean based property company. So sad that the club was split into two a few years ago with Whyteleafe FC effectively hiring the pitch off the landlord.
Whyteleafe basically handed over the only asset being ground to then then Chairman, bit like the Queen selling the Crown Jewels. For me all parties are to blame here with some serious mismanagement.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Game off due to waterlogged pitch and to protect.
it. Wet July

Probably just as well. The players will be able to watch the Euro semi-final, and I would imagine that most people who woul have considered going would stay in for that too.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Heading off to Hassocks for Hassocks v Burgess Hill tonight, second game of the season, after Watching Lewes demolish lancing on Saturday. Nice to be back having a few lagers with some mates at a non league game.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Heading off to Hassocks for Hassocks v Burgess Hill tonight, second game of the season, after Watching Lewes demolish lancing on Saturday. Nice to be back having a few lagers with some mates at a non league game.

Yep l agree, it's good too that this season the Southern Combination League fixtures kick off at the end of July, so a full month of watching non league, before the Premier League gets in the way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here