Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Possible return of fans for some Pre-Season games? (Times article)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Daily cases seemingly rising all over the world so yep, now seems the perfect time to start talking about thousands of people congregating together again.

Yep, travel gradually getting curtailed all over Europe the writing is on the wall. Love to see the Amex full again but right now it ain't a priority. See how the winter goes..

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Can’t wait to get back into a full Amex as I think this whole Covid-Lockdown stuff is nonsense.

Saw an article from The Mail earlier saying that supporters won’t be allowed to sing at the stadiums. Well, that would be the death of football then, I really don’t think many people would turn up if they had to put up with that.

Funny isn’t it? Mass protests in America, England and Germany and no increase in the mortality rate, yet we aren’t allowed at football matches. Ever feel like you are being played?

If someone wants to stay away because they have elderly or vulnerable family members or they believe some butterfly effect may kill someone 100 miles away then be my guest, but don’t stop the rest of us from going.

Completely agree. I honestly think the world has gone mad. I feel like I'm turning into a right wing nut job (which couldn't be further from the truth) but based on the mortality rate right now, the number of infections and the improvements in treatments we really should be going back to normal soon before no one has a job and football clubs, theatres, cinemas, concert venues, travel companies, shops etc have all gone bust. The knock on impact on the population and its mental health will far outweigh the effects of Covid.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Was at Brighton station Wednesday evening around 8pm and the train (one of the swanky new white ones) bound for Cambridge was absolutely rammed, standing room only 15 minutes before departure....on a Wednesday...at 8pm...

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Completely agree. I honestly think the world has gone mad. I feel like I'm turning into a right wing nut job (which couldn't be further from the truth) but based on the mortality rate right now, the number of infections and the improvements in treatments we really should be going back to normal soon before no one has a job and football clubs, theatres, cinemas, concert venues, travel companies, shops etc have all gone bust. The knock on impact on the population and its mental health will far outweigh the effects of Covid.

I don’t really want to get into Covid here, as it’s not the right place, but I heard that the suicide rate is up 200%, people haven’t had cancer treatment, I saw an article recently that suggested that the lockdown has caused 20,000 deaths and there was a recent study that said for every 1% of GDP lost it caused a large amount of deaths over time and seeing as we are down more than 20% I think we are in big, big trouble and it will far outweigh the effects of Covid.

I get what you mean with the ‘right wing nut job’ thing, although things keep happening that are pushing me in that direction! I wonder if the government is just totally incompetent, trying to save face (by making out as if they believe it all), or they are doing it for a reason.

I think the thing that worry’s me most is that people just go along with it. I think how far are they willing to let them take it all? A few months ago the WHO said we didn’t need masks as they wouldn’t help...yet here we are after they were subjected to political lobbying.

At some point, are fans just going to accept that we might not ever be allowed in grounds again? Or will they wake up and realise there isn’t much point in living with the ridiculous restrictions that are in place?

You’re not alone, I know quite a few people now who were very scared of Covid at the start, but are very much questioning the whole thing now.

I wonder what will happen next, will fans start protesting because no one is dying of Covid anymore yet aren’t allowed in grounds? Or is it just going to carry on for another season because a ‘second wave’ might appear? The government haven’t put us under this much control, probably, ever. Very strange.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Was at Brighton station Wednesday evening around 8pm and the train (one of the swanky new white ones) bound for Cambridge was absolutely rammed, standing room only 15 minutes before departure....on a Wednesday...at 8pm...

As it’s a huge pandemic, we should be expecting a massive surge in cases and deaths then.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Don't panic BHN, I’m sure Blow Job’s on top of it :lolol:

:laugh:

'Ah, seems a chap fell off his bike under the number 700. Still, his granny had the sniffles in February, so we'll count that as one Covid death. Actually, make it three... Oh, and we did 650 tests and two people had colds and that's a form of coronavirus, so lockdown!"

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014

Yes, this.

Fun fact: there are more hospitals in England than there are Covid patients in them.

Anyone who thinks this situation is anything to do with public health is sorely mistaken.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Unless you are, or are related to someone who dies from it...

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I think like so many things, it's going to come down to personal choice now, like many things in life you risk assess on a daily basis.

Clearly it will be down to elderly relatives to risk assess if they want to see you after you've been to the footie/cricket/racing.

The government have just about opened everything up with pretty much no restrictions now and with schools to follow shortly. All the rises in infection rates around Europe are clearly just Johnny Foreigner not Staying Alert...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
As it’s a huge pandemic, we should be expecting a massive surge in cases and deaths then.

Its no time for complacency, cases on the rise, schools back, temperatures will soon start falling. Getting stadiums full is a sure way to getting hospitals full. Do you want us to be the next Brazil?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Unless you are, or are related to someone who dies from it...

Of course. But they could die of cancer that has gone untreated because of the difficulty of getting care. They may commit suicide because they have lost their job (and as a train driver I'm witnessing this every day) and can't see a way out. I have 2 parents with dementia who I worry about constantly and am being very careful with but they could die from all sorts of things (some of which I grant you won't be communicable diseases), of which Covid is just one. And the deterioration in both their conditions during lockdown may well have hastened their demise anyway.
None of which diminishes the impact and tragedy of this pandemic and my sadness and compassion for the lives affected by it but 750,000 out of a population of 7.5 billion have died from it, most of whom would probably have died anyway so we just need to keep things in perspective. But I'll duck out here because this probably isn't the right thread, I just wanted to state that I think we need to get back to normality as fast as we possibly can and, for me a full Amex is part of that and certainly would aid my mental health.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes, this.

Fun fact: there are more hospitals in England than there are Covid patients in them.

Anyone who thinks this situation is anything to do with public health is sorely mistaken.

And would your fun fact be correct if we hadn't have had a lockdown?

Fun Fact number two. Tin foil sales have gone through the roof!!!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Of course. But they could die of cancer that has gone untreated because of the difficulty of getting care. They may commit suicide because they have lost their job (and as a train driver I'm witnessing this every day) and can't see a way out. I have 2 parents with dementia who I worry about constantly and am being very careful with but they could die from all sorts of things (some of which I grant you won't be communicable diseases), of which Covid is just one. And the deterioration in both their conditions during lockdown may well have hastened their demise anyway.
None of which diminishes the impact and tragedy of this pandemic and my sadness and compassion for the lives affected by it but 750,000 out of a population of 7.5 billion have died from it, most of whom would probably have died anyway so we just need to keep things in perspective. But I'll duck out here because this probably isn't the right thread, I just wanted to state that I think we need to get back to normality as fast as we possibly can and, for me a full Amex is part of that and certainly would aid my mental health.

We all know one way of measuring the impact is by comparing excess deaths with the 5 year average. Bit blase to suggest they would have died anyway, we all will!!! Not sure how you would feel if one of your relatives died a few years earlier then they needed to because of Covid.

Anyway, let's be like USA and ignore medical opinion and just get on with life as it was before. Tough luck if ITU is full when you get the bug, them's the breaks!!

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Its no time for complacency, cases on the rise, schools back, temperatures will soon start falling. Getting stadiums full is a sure way to getting hospitals full. Do you want us to be the next Brazil?

Except the hospitals never have been full, even at the height of the ‘pandemic’. That’s why all those nurses had time to practice and record all those lovely Tik ToK videos.

The reason we’ve had a lockdown is because of a faulty model, there’s no evidence the lockdown has saved anyone, but as I said before, it looks like the lockdown will kill far more in the long run. Think I saw another thread on here saying that the excess deaths in March and April were actually down on previous years. 28,000 died of flu in 1 month a couple of years ago more than what Covid did), yet didn’t see the mass panic and full hospitals then.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
HTML:
And would your fun fact be correct if we hadn't have had a lockdown?

Fun Fact number two. Tin foil sales have gone through the roof!!!!

You just have to look at the stats from Sweden to know the answer to your first point is yes.

92289A2A-EEFA-4799-B829-20F0FC46D634.png

As for the tinfoil crack, wearing a surgical mask in Tesco and thinking it’ll have any effect against a virus is about the same as wearing a tinfoil hat to protect yourself from space rays.

F4429149-D1EC-4A1E-BD73-8842851F1146.jpeg

Attachments

• 4EC1024D-760B-4311-9676-D4CF40884B3C.jpeg
    4EC1024D-760B-4311-9676-D4CF40884B3C.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 102

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
HTML:

You just have to look at the stats from Sweden to know the answer to your first point is yes.

View attachment 127138

As for the tinfoil crack, wearing a surgical mask in Tesco and thinking it’ll have any effect against a virus is about the same as wearing a tinfoil hat to protect yourself from space rays.

View attachment 127140

Nice pics, but you have dramatically missed the point, wearing a mask isn’t to protect you from others, but more others from YOU!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Except the hospitals never have been full, even at the height of the ‘pandemic’. That’s why all those nurses had time to practice and record all those lovely Tik ToK videos.

The reason we’ve had a lockdown is because of a faulty model, there’s no evidence the lockdown has saved anyone, but as I said before, it looks like the lockdown will kill far more in the long run. Think I saw another thread on here saying that the excess deaths in March and April were actually down on previous years. 28,000 died of flu in 1 month a couple of years ago more than what Covid did), yet didn’t see the mass panic and full hospitals then.

Except the ONS disagrees with you regarding excess deaths...

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/articles/comparisonsofallcausemortalitybetweeneuropeancountriesandregions/januarytojune2020

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Absolutely incredible thread. Was genuinely intrigued by the attitude towards 'back to football' which is why I'm considering signing up to the club Q and A next week. Personally I'm not interested in going back until I'm convinced the Amex might be fun again, whenever that is. Might be October 2020 might be August 2021, who knows.

But what is absolutely incredible in this thread is the amount of people who don't appear to give a toss because the amount of people dying in hospital is going down. Wow. We have no idea what the long term implications are of this virus are, but because it's not killing or hospitalising as many people as 3 month ago people are prepared to risk getting it and passing on to others and justify that by mumbling some unsubstantiated drivel about it being bad for mental health?

It is little wonder the country appears to be ****ed with that attitude. I'm alright jack (for 14 days anyway)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here