Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] Cut Price Benteke

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I must admit that apart from his lack of goals he always comes across as a nice lad looking at the Kids parties and food bank

Well, why didn't anyone say this before?

On that basis, I'm Benteke IN

:ffsparr:

D

Deleted member 2719

Our shooting, Maupay apart, is woeful. Solly the most infuriating.

Okay you say that, but Maupay had nearly 100 shots last year and scored 10 goals and he is a centre forward, Solly will never get so many opportunities being so wide.

Look at the stats, Solly shooting accuracy isn't much worse than Maupay and you can be sure he will be further away from goal and in a wider position all the time.

It really is unfair to lump Solly in a goal scorers bracket because he is more of a all-rounder.

If you stuck Solly in centre forward position he may not get the sniffer goals but he would pick up a few, put Maupay in wingback/midfield his overall ball strength would get found out.

Horses for courses.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-08-11 073234.png
    Annotation 2020-08-11 073234.png
    67 KB · Views: 120

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
You what?

Hodgson the striker coach genius, you mean The one charging Harry Kane with taking corners for England?

The reason for the second part of the quote is down to Hodgson.

As [MENTION=22849]Stato[/MENTION] alludes to, Beaky needs this gamble (extending the contract to sell) to pay off to deflect away from his bungling of the Dibley situation last summer. If he finds someone to pay for Benteke he'll be called a genius by the cockwombles.

Well let's just put it in context first, I didnt say he was a striker coach genius, but he is an experienced Premier League and international coach who has been in charge of some of the best players in the world. Obviously he has had ups and downs in career and I definitely didn't say he's the best coach in the world (everyone knows thats Bielsa), but I think he's experienced enough to help a player who got themselves in a rut to overcome it. The fact Benteke hasn't, makes me think there's more to his problems than just a dip in form and I don't think there's a "right coach" out there who can help with that.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Okay you say that, but Maupay had nearly 100 shots last year and scored 10 goals and he is a centre forward, Solly will never get so many opportunities being so wide.

Look at the stats, Solly shooting accuracy isn't much worse than Maupay and you can be sure he will be further away from goal and in a wider position all the time.

It really is unfair to lump Solly in a goal scorers bracket because he is more of a all-rounder.

If you stuck Solly in centre forward position he may not get the sniffer goals but he would pick up a few, put Maupay in wingback/midfield his overall ball strength would get found out.

Horses for courses.

It's an interesting point you made about Solly shooting from further out.
I was looking at our stats the other day and was suprised by how many we'd had as a team compared to other sides. It doesn' look bad at all. But I did wonder what areas of the pitch our shots come from and can't seem to find any stats for that.I'd be interested to see how many of them were from inside the box and how many were on target from inside the box. I don't know if anyone else has come across that sort of info anywhere?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Alan Smith use to do it quite well for Arsenal. I'm not saying sign him for one minute due to his lack of goals but in his own way he is a handful if you play direct to his strength which isn't part of Potter's style.

He's 57 now so I'm not surprised at his lack of goals. But still a decent striker at his peak though.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
After declaring that he wanted to stay, Benteke might be bit miffed at being put up for sale so soon. Hopefully he will adopt a 'fukk you Beaky' attitude and cruise through to the end of his contract. Nice one (again) Beaky.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
It would be wonderful to get him and to turn him into a lethal weapon but with the obvious risk of signing a dud making us look rather silly

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Not for me thank you.
As much as I hate to say it, if he cannot score many goals even from Haha's supply, then what chance does he have from our current crop of wingers!

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I did wonder if this was a similar scenario to Diego Forlan at Manure (proving that even a great player in a good team can struggle) but then I remembered Benteke struggled at Liverpool and only really had one good season at Villa. I mean Potter is good but surely not that good, I mean he isn't Bielsa is he?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Yes if you could cut his wages down to a third of what it is now and always play him with another striker. I just don't think he can play on his own upfront. Playing off Connolly or Maupay he may rediscover himself.

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
For the wages he's on, Origi would be a much better buy, although his transfer fee would be about 4 times as much! He's been linked with Villa and Leeds, but now looks like Lazio might go for him.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Okay.

I love a coincidence me. This ain't fresh, but:

Palace were thought to have had a bid for £12m rejected with QPR holding out for £20m.

In other news:

1. No offers for Dibley.
2. No offers to buy out the Americans
3. No opening ceremony for the new stand confirmed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here