Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion player's who never reached potential

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
John Piercy. Spurs reserves captain and dropped down to our level to get some football. He peaked with us, and it wasn't great!

I remember he scored a peach of a goal Christmas/New Year against a Tony Adam’s Wycombe side at the Withdean.

*just looked on Wikipedia he scored a brace that day. Now is a PE teacher in Eastbourne and says his stepchild is involved in the Albion academy*

He did suffer from Colitis which probably didn’t help his career.

Will Hoskins I thought looked top draw had it not been for injuries.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maheta Molango, surely. He joined us, scored a goal in 12 seconds in his first ever match for us, played 5 more games (without scoring) and was never heard of at The Albion again.

Actually, I wouldn't have minded a football career like that!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Who was that bloke who paid £1400 to buy himself out the British army to join the Albion? David Cameron?

Must say, I was as surprised as anyone when he went on to become Prime Minister.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Who was that bloke who paid £1400 to buy himself out the British army to join the Albion? David Cameron?

Must say, I was as surprised as anyone when he went on to become Prime Minister.
Should have stuck to football. He could probably have been a good bucket and sponge man by now.

In a lower league than us, of course.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
10 seconds into his debut

Then just 5 more appearances, no more goals, loaded out a couple of times, and never heard of again.

I was at that game - blisteringly hot day and the first game of the season away at Reading.Thought he was going to be IT for us.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Remember watching him at Withdean and saying he was too good for us and will play for England one day. Ah well.

Dave Clarkson is someone I can wanted Lloyd to play more

I 100% agree about Dave Clarkson
He was superb in the game against Crawley in the FA Cup- him and Chappers bossed the midfield - think he went back to Australia

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Joe Getting - scored for fun in the reserves but not for the first team
Jonah Ayunga - signed from Beaminster Town for £40K and looked like a real prospect. Never played for the first team and is now at Bristol Rovers. Still only 23

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
(Apologies Mike Small, great minds think alike ��)

Jeff Minton and Junior McDougall, both came from Spurs at different times, both had a great reputation, I remember Liam Brady being really excited (yes excited ��) at the Gulls Eye dinner when he’d just signed Junior, beaten off a number of clubs to do it, and said he had real potential, a natural goal scorer, yet like Minton before him he soon came down to our level, got comfortable and both were a huge disappointment in their Albion careers.

Black Hill

Banned
Apr 24, 2020
Richie Towell, not sure I could say he never reached potential but certainly seemed like a waste of time being here.

He actually made his Football League debut in a play off semi final first leg.
Was recently playing for Salford.

Black Hill

Banned
Apr 24, 2020
Young lad called Jack Dineen. Played for the reserves around the same time as David Gipp. Never got a sniff of the first team. Superb for the reserves. Local lad as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here