[Cricket] Sussex v Hampshire Bob Willis Trophy

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
DJ Nobo posted this earlier

For those who didn’t hear the Gillespie interview on the radio earlier :

On Wells - not selected because ...“I don’t think he got the volume of runs he, or us, hoped he would do over past couple of years”. There is a Way back for him but not at the moment.
On Evans - happy for him to go on loan to Leics. another who has underperformed despite plenty of chances, according to JG. Happy with his short form form.
On Briggs - another casualty of Gillespie’s preference to give youth a chance this season after the team underperformed in long form.
On past couple of seasons (4 day) - } “the reality is we haven’t done as well as we should and we have to look at that”
On meaker : still getting fully up to speed, and may be better placed in a week or so. Crocombe selected ahead of him. JG impressed with meakers attitude.
Bopara - wont play long form this season , this was always the plan. Maybe next season.
Van Zyl - fishing in SA at the moment. Will be back next season, not this .
Overseas players - none coming this year
Carson - young spinner from Ireland who had impressed. Selected over Briggs
Garton - hopeful he will become an all rounder . Needs to play more games and develop. Highly rated .

Wow, brutal!

Can't understand the Bopara thing. Why would he play long form next season when he's another year older but not this year?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Don't worry chaps, all is looking rosy for Sussex batting in about 2030... Glynde & Beddingham have an in-form young lad in their under 12s.

4 innings in the Sussex Junior Cricket Festival - 106no, 56, 218no & 56no - a not-too-shabby tournament average of 436!

:rock:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Don't worry chaps, all is looking rosy for Sussex batting in about 2030... Glynde & Beddingham have an in-form young lad in their under 12s.

4 innings in the Sussex Junior Cricket Festival - 106no, 56, 218no & 56no - a not-too-shabby tournament average of 436!

Do you play for Glynde? I occasionally watch them

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Do you play for Glynde? I occasionally watch them

No, I was told about this lad by a neighbour. Keep an eye out for Elliot Churton :)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

If you're good enough you're old enough :)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

That 218 is pretty impressive, these are only 40 over slogs

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Last year we were playing Ansty in our last match. We were a bit worried as they had a lad who'd scored two centuries and a fifty in his previous three matches. We were delighted to find that he was away that day and bowled them out for 27.

Just got the fixtures for this year and we're playing Ansty again :facepalm:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Needs to learn to throw his wicket to ensure he gets an average when he's in the 200s and not the 50s.

Never mind, he'll learn :lolol:

Batting with him must be fun. I once played with a lad who was seeing it like a football all season, hitting 200s and 100s in Sunday villiage games. The one time I batted with him that season we put on 98 for the fifth wicket together of which I scored 15, one four and 11 singles!

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

Needs to learn to throw his wicket to ensure he gets an average when he's in the 200s and not the 50s.

Never mind, he'll learn :lolol:

Batting with him must be fun. I once played with a lad who was seeing it like a football all season, hitting 200s and 100s in Sunday villiage games. The one time I batted with him that season we put on 98 for the fifth wicket together of which I scored 15, one four and 11 singles!

https://glyndebeddingham.play-cricket.com/website/results/4455557

The 218 was out of a total of 305, in 34 overs!

Shame he only picked up 4 wickets in the reply, or he might be considered an all-rounder

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Just looked him up. He got the 56* out of 76, very impressive

This is from the Glynde & Beddingham facebook page:

So, to follow yesterday’s match in style, we needed to make 72 to win and make them well. Elliot and Jack opened. It was a special day in our week: Elliot gave a chance in his 20s but hit the ball so hard that no junior cricketer could expect to catch it. That our opponent even went for it is a huge credit to him. Jack was smooth, stroking rather than bludgeoning, always finding gaps, always maximising the runs. The chance aside, we moved smoothly to within 12 runs of their score in just 7 overs, with Elliot on 38 and Jack on 20.

So, if you are a cricket lover, now just shut your eyes and imagine how you would finish off the match. Got it?

So what actually happened is that Elliot drills a 4 straight down the ground. And another. The third ball of the over is pulled through midwicket, also for 4. 50 to Elliot from 25 balls. The scores level.

Elliot finishes things off on the next ball with an enormous pull shot for 6. Very, very deep into the trees. No one looks for the ball. Victory by 10 wickets, 56 not out for Elliot and 20 not out for Jack.​

:clap2:

My neighbour is very excited about the lad and it's easy to see why

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Phil Salt MOTM. 148 runs across both innings.
England’s loss is Sussex’s gain.
Honourable mention to Ollie Robinson for his Michelle...another one to miss out on full England recognition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports