Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexiteer guilty

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think you'll find that should read 'Sex offender found guilty'. He wasn't convicted of anything involving Brexit - in fact Brexit has nothing whatsoever to do with his conviction.

Oh sorry - I didn't realise you were making a futile political point. Carry on ...........................

You are absolutely correct, nothing to do with his stance on Brexit, he campaigned to remain.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
so, the MP arrested and released on charges of rape.

We have to be fair on the chap. Perhaps if it wasn't him arrested then he could quickly deny it as I'm sure and his cohorts will be aware he is trending on twitter and the reason for it!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
so, the MP arrested and released on charges of rape...

I'm not convinced that his alleged deleting of social media accounts is actually true. It could well be internet Fake News amplified by a bit of wishful thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm not convinced that his alleged deleting of social media accounts is actually true.

No, his Twitter account no longer exists. That is, of course, no indication that he is the MP that has been arrested (and it absolutely does not imply guilt)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No, his Twitter account no longer exists. That is, of course, no indication that he is the MP that has been arrested (and it absolutely does not imply guilt)
What was his twitter account handle ? It would be good to check if he ever had one.

I think the guy is obnoxious scum, but this is all red flagging a bit of wishful thinking.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What was his twitter account handle ? It would be good to check if he ever had one.

I think the guy is obnoxious scum, but this is all red flagging up a bit of wishful thinking.

Yes, that's a very good point. There's certainly not one there now but I'm afraid I'm not a follower of his so I don't know. He did have a FB page that no longer exists though but he could well have had other FB pages.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes, that's a very good point. There's certainly not one there now but I'm afraid I'm not a follower of his so I don't know. He did have a FB page that no longer exists though but he could well have had other FB pages.

its said he doesnt have a twitter and never did. a link on his Google profile goes to a spoof account. the facebook and instagram pages are still there. so what we have is some deliberate misinformation to imply guilt.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
its said he doesnt have a twitter and never did. a link on his Google profile goes to a spoof account. the facebook and instagram pages are still there. so what we have is some deliberate misinformation to imply guilt.

A FB account was deleted, I've seen the message but I understand that was just one FB account and he has others. I'm not sure it's deliberate. Someone saw the FB account had gone, couldn't find a Twitter account and put two and two together to make five

And I said earlier, even if it were true, it doesn't mean that he's the MP that has been arrested and it absolutely doesn't imply guilt.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

There was a Twitter account as well as the spoof account. I read it many times. Whether that is anything to do with current investigations is a different matter.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Please stop naming an individual who has not been named by the Police. If you'd like to do so, please use your own social media accounts, not NSC. Thanks.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
There was a Twitter account as well as the spoof account. I read it many times. Whether that is anything to do with current investigations is a different matter.

I dislike having to defend the individual involved in the speculation. However, he has (afaik) never had a blue tick Twitter account. A few spoofs, one being quite realistic and capable of reeling a few in.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Please stop naming an individual who has not been named by the Police. If you'd like to do so, please use your own social media accounts, not NSC. Thanks.

Absolutely right that NSC shouldn't take this risk. Nevertheless, no other suspect in a rape case, or any criminal proceedings, is afforded the same protections, only MPs. One law for them lot, another for everyone else.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Absolutely right that NSC shouldn't take this risk. Nevertheless, no other suspect in a rape case, or any criminal proceedings, is afforded the same protections, only MPs. One law for them lot, another for everyone else.

I'd agree. If non-MPs accused of rape are named, then so should MPs be, imo. But, currently at least, they generally aren't. I vaguely recall that one was a few years ago, but can't recall the details.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i believe the law was changed to prevent MPs being named when arrested, which is right afforded to rest of the public too. you are only named once charged, and as far as i see in all reports, that hasnt happened at this point.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'd agree. If non-MPs accused of rape are named, then so should MPs be, imo. But, currently at least, they generally aren't. I vaguely recall that one was a few years ago, but can't recall the details.

They generally aren't, that's right, the police weigh up public right to know against suspect's right to privacy. But there is no law preventing their naming - except for MPs alone.

I would be in favour of all suspects having legal right to anonymity - at least up to point of charging and perhaps up to a verdict being reached. But there should be safeguarding exemptions which this MP is arguably subject to.

Of course everyone in his office will know making that a little moot

Elphicke was named despite the law, I think on safeguarding grounds. He was suspended, then brought back in to the party so he could take part in a critical vote (good old tories!) and now found guilty.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
i believe the law was changed to prevent MPs being named when arrested, which is right afforded to rest of the public too. you are only named once charged, and as far as i see in all reports, that hasnt happened at this point.

Ah, yes - I think that's right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here