Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ollie Watkins

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Agreed. Like your analogy as I’d have called it 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 but yours makes sense. Lallana or Mac as the 1. Maupay and Connolly or new striker up tops. Only position missing is LWB. We need one like Lamps!

Yeh. Huge competition for the one in the hole type place (if you assume that's the only we'll play which clearly isn't true). Lallana, Alexis, Pascal, Mooy ..... Where do you play Trossard? Ali J?

Having said that, my instinct remains, GP wants to find a way to get two strikers on the pitch and let wing backs supply the width for the majority of games

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Naylor confirms we are interested. Would say he’s a shoe in for West Ham if moyes wasn’t their manager.

Also no relegation clause so 25m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can someone who has access to the Athletic say if there’s other names Nagle mentions...?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Agreed. Like your analogy as I’d have called it 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 but yours makes sense. Lallana or Mac as the 1. Maupay and Connolly or new striker up tops. Only position missing is LWB. We need one like Lamps!

I have this glorious mental image of Lallana performing like a late career Hoddle, he’ll barely need to move, he’ll have two strikers to feed and he’ll be flanked by flying wing backs and a pair of energetic youthful centre mids. He’s going to be pulling the strings like Geppetto.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yeh. Huge competition for the one in the hole type place (if you assume that's the only we'll play which clearly isn't true). Lallana, Alexis, Pascal, Mooy ..... Where do you play Trossard? Ali J?

Having said that, my instinct remains, GP wants to find a way to get two strikers on the pitch and let wing backs supply the width for the majority of games

Sometimes Biss in the role behind strikers if he wants to be more defensive for a game. But yeh we’ll def play loads of different formations but that Burnley one, bit like Watford away, is how I think he’ll try and do it. Likes 3 CBs who can play and wing backs who are good enough to get up and down. I hope he tinkers less and goes with a set formation more and think he will now he’s added some more players that will suit his plan.

LWB is the key signing for me - more than striker! Can AMN play there regularly if we did get him? If he can and will I’d take him and Watkins as our only other signings this window in a heartbeat. With a few out like Montoya, Ali J maybe one of Gross, Propper or Stephens... We have 2 or 3 young loan players coming through (well White / Molumby / Walton)

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Sometimes Biss in the role behind strikers if he wants to be more defensive for a game. But yeh we’ll def play loads of different formations but that Burnley one, bit like Watford away, is how I think he’ll try and do it. Likes 3 CBs who can play and wing backs who are good enough to get up and down. I hope he tinkers less and goes with a set formation more and think he will now he’s added some more players that will suit his plan.

LWB is the key signing for me - more than striker! Can AMN play there regularly if we did get him? If he can and will I’d take him and Watkins as our only other signings this window in a heartbeat. With a few out like Montoya, Ali J maybe one of Gross, Propper or Stephens... We have 2 or 3 young loan players coming through (well White / Molumby / Walton)

Can AMN play there ? Yes
Does he want to ? I don’t think so

He is keen to play midfield and I’m sure if he leaves Arsenal the club who get him will be the one offering him that.

I’m surprised we aren’t after Rico Henry from Brentford .. he looks exactly the type of LWB we need.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I have this glorious mental image of Lallana performing like a late career Hoddle, he’ll barely need to move, he’ll have two strikers to feed and he’ll be flanked by flying wing backs and a pair of energetic youthful centre mids. He’s going to be pulling the strings like Geppetto.

I think he’ll be a lot fitter and agile than that but yes he has a high end football brain for sure. Neat and tidy, technically gifted and reads the game well. I just wish we were gonna be there to see it in Sept!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Can AMN play there ? Yes
Does he want to ? I don’t think so

He is keen to play midfield and I’m sure if he leaves Arsenal the club who get him will be the one offering him that.

I’m surprised we aren’t after Rico Henry from Brentford .. he looks exactly the type of LWB we need.

Maybe we are. Maybe we’ll get a LWB and AMN as cover for him and for Lamptey in that formation but predominantly considered as a defensive midfielder. It’s difficult, as I don’t think clubs can promise players positions in a transfer - the manager could leave the next day and the new one see them as another position!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Goals scored in Championship this season: 26

https://youtu.be/rhjkvyb9d0g

I’d say he’d get about 4 of those in the Premier League. The marking on him is non existent with 90% of those goals, shocking really; he would find himself completely free in the penalty area in the Premier League over 20 times, that’s for sure!

Agree with what you say but also maybe his movement deserves credit for finding those positions. On a plus side, can finish with both feet and his head. Heading looks a very weird technique though tbh! Would give us something to aim at in the air though.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Goals scored in Championship this season: 26

https://youtu.be/rhjkvyb9d0g

I’d say he’d get about 4 of those in the Premier League. The marking on him is non existent with 90% of those goals, shocking really; he would find himself completely free in the penalty area in the Premier League over 20 times, that’s for sure!

2 things from that video:

1) It’s unusual these days to see a video of a collection of goals with so many headers. Strikers who can really head a ball seem to be a thing of the past so it’s great to see some quality headers in there;

2) If he joins he’ll have to cut out the knee slide celebration. I hate players doing that ever since Simon Jones knackered his knee playing cricket for England years ago.

I’ve liked him whenever I’ve seen him play, think he’s a real talent, so hope we can get him.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
2 things from that video:

1) It’s unusual these days to see a video of a collection of goals with so many headers. Strikers who can really head a ball seem to be a thing of the past so it’s great to see some quality headers in there;

He seems to also have good pace and strength and finds the net very naturally although he has generally found himself an acre of space to score from.

I’d be pretty pleased if we snared him, I think he’d do well. And also, beating a team ‘like Leeds’ or ‘like Villa’ to his signature would be deeply satisfying!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I wouldnt be so sure about that, I think its more likely there will be just one central attacker starting most games.

YesMooy

Jul 31, 2020

Mooy can play as an 8 (though I wouldnt play him there against the big teams), Lallana could play as a narrower wide player. Similar to some of the others. Whats good is the depth the squad is getting. Id say one of the main priorities is another goal scorer. So much creativity but besides Maupay no one was a reliable goal scorer.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't kw much about the lad but based on that highlights video he's a penalty box predator. Seeing as wasted plenty of good chances last year it seems to me that someone who is in the right place at the right time and can finish a move is someone we could do with.

Is there anything else to his game? Pace? Creativity? Can he play as a target man, hold the ball up if needed?

OW made the Championship team of the season in The Guardian. This is what they said about him:

Striker: Ollie Watkins (Brentford) Aleksandar Mitrovic is extremely unlucky to miss out but Watkins has evolved into one of the most sought-after strikers in the country after a prolific season. He has relished the responsibility of leading the line following the departure of Neal Maupay and it is only a matter of time before Watkins joins him in the top flight. He is lightning quick, deceptively strong and his work rate, typified in the play-off triumph over Swansea, should not be overlooked. He missed only 12 minutes of league action.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
OW made the Championship team of the season in The Guardian. This is what they said about him:

Striker: Ollie Watkins (Brentford) Aleksandar Mitrovic is extremely unlucky to miss out but Watkins has evolved into one of the most sought-after strikers in the country after a prolific season. He has relished the responsibility of leading the line following the departure of Neal Maupay and it is only a matter of time before Watkins joins him in the top flight at the Albion. He is lightning quick, deceptively strong and his work rate, typified in the play-off triumph over Swansea, should not be overlooked. He missed only 12 minutes of league action.

Edited for you and the Guardian.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Striker: Ollie Watkins (Brentford) Aleksandar Mitrovic is extremely unlucky to miss out but Watkins has evolved into one of the most sought-after strikers in the country after a prolific season. He has relished the responsibility of leading the line following the departure of Neal Maupay and it is only a matter of time before Watkins joins him in the top flight. He is lightning quick, deceptively strong and his work rate, typified in the play-off triumph over Swansea, should not be overlooked. He missed only 12 minutes of league action.

I like the sound of that very much. I'm in on Watkins, lets go get him!

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
This could take a while. A few clubs interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here