Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] When will cash disappear ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not sure as I dont use smartphones. You just download the app, link it to your banking account (no mobile wallet bollocks), then to transfer money you just type someones phone number, the sum and push the send button, and the money instantly transfers. Completely fee and instant (which I think is the key) and created/run by the six Swedish banks. Norway got a similar thing called Vipps.

sounds functionally the same. i recall the UK services also offer web pages for non-app users to transfer to as well, via debit card or paypal.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If only there was some other way of denoting currency whilst playing poker...?

It's not the same though: putting a few extra chips on doesn't have the same effect suddenly bunging a few notes down.

And how do you buy the chips in the first place? Are people expected to have card readers around their houses now?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
There will always be a physical currency for Bartering and exchange of goods and services.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
This is genuine,last Sunday week we were in Grange over Sands and i needed the loo. Went to the door and 30p Contactless and a very clean toilet,30p Contactless. Just money wise how does this 30p 'work' ? Who gets what ?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
This is genuine,last Sunday week we were in Grange over Sands and i needed the loo. Went to the door and 30p Contactless and a very clean toilet,30p Contactless. Just money wise how does this 30p 'work' ? Who gets what ?

I bet you didn't seriously expect to get an actual proper answer to this!

When South Lakeland District Council closed the toilets in Grange we (Grange-over-Sands Town Council - I was on it at the time) took them over to keep them open. They were in a shocking state, the Gents in the duckpond were reminiscent of the old Goldstone North Stand toilets (yes - really). The Town Council took out a public loans board loan to basically rebuild them (and restore the old ones on the prom and in town). To fund the loan, the ongoing maintenance, and the cleaning, we started charging 20p cash. I voted against the charge, but in hindsight it was the deal-breaker. Not only did it help pay to keep them, but the way people treated the toilets changed overnight - that is, have a clean loo and people keep it clean.

Last year the council looked at going contactless because a) the cash was being carried along the prom with attendant risks, b) it takes people longer to find and put coins in leading to queues on busy days, and c) the cleaners had to spend time emptying the coin machines. Also - there were quite a few vandalism incidents related to the cash and the insurance was going up.

At the time, it was narrowly decided to keep cash (a lot of folk in or who visit Grange are old). Come the pandemic, and the switch to contactless became much more desirable.

It cost £650 per unit to convert, and the payment service for each costs £10 a month, with the provider taking 2.95% of each payment. The council also put the price up from 20 to 30p as the loos had been operating at a loss for some years.

So, in direct answer to your question: The contactless machine provider gets 0.885p per use, plus £10 a month - so less than 1p out of your 30p. The Town Council would get about 29p of your spend, which all goes towards maintenance and cleaning (there's no profit in loos!).

There you go!

Hope you enjoyed your visit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I bet you didn't seriously expect to get an actual proper answer to this!

When South Lakeland District Council closed the toilets in Grange we (Grange-over-Sands Town Council - I was on it at the time) took them over to keep them open. They were in a shocking state, the Gents in the duckpond were reminiscent of the old Goldstone North Stand toilets (yes - really). The Town Council took out a public loans board loan to basically rebuild them (and restore the old ones on the prom and in town). To fund the loan, the ongoing maintenance, and the cleaning, we started charging 20p cash. I voted against the charge, but in hindsight it was the deal-breaker. Not only did it help pay to keep them, but the way people treated the toilets changed overnight - that is, have a clean loo and people keep it clean.

Last year the council looked at going contactless because a) the cash was being carried along the prom with attendant risks, b) it takes people longer to find and put coins in leading to queues on busy days, and c) the cleaners had to spend time emptying the coin machines. Also - there were quite a few vandalism incidents related to the cash and the insurance was going up.

At the time, it was narrowly decided to keep cash (a lot of folk in or who visit Grange are old). Come the pandemic, and the switch to contactless became much more desirable.

It cost £650 per unit to convert, and the payment service for each costs £10 a month, with the provider taking 2.95% of each payment. The council also put the price up from 20 to 30p as the loos had been operating at a loss for some years.

So, in direct answer to your question: The contactless machine provider gets 0.885p per use, plus £10 a month - so less than 1p out of your 30p. The Town Council would get about 29p of your spend, which all goes towards maintenance and cleaning (there's no profit in loos!).

There you go!

Hope you enjoyed your visit.

Christ.

I should get out more.

Or possibly not, with my lively bladder :facepalm:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
found it weird in Munich where a lot of coffee shops, bakeries etc are cash only

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here