Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Clive Tyldesley

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Richard Keyes has waded in, defending his 'mate' Clive (or Clove as he calls him once), but also managing to make it all about himself!

Tyldesely has sort of done the same and made Matterface's appointment all about him and his demotion. A bit tasteless.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Me too, I loved that mans voice, he got the art of commentary just right.

Barry Davies not far behind him.

Tyldesley replaced Moore at ITV - it was like Moyes following Ferguson. Never liked Tyldesley.

Matterface has got better, he used to be terrible as his voice kept breaking but he seems to have stopped that.

IMO Ian Dennis is the best out there today.

Just need to get rid of the incredibly arrogant Darren Fletcher now (BT Sport and sometimes 5Live). Belligerently opinionated, his his view or no ones. Somehow, without the remit to do so, morphing the role of the person who’s simply meant to describe the action in front of them, with that of an ex-player expert (he’s not).

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They got divorced about 5 years ago. Have you ever seen one of the tweets he sent her which reads something along the lines of ‘ you have the best boobies I’ve ever seen’ :lol:

This never happened to Motty.
BqmRAaIIgAEK_LJ.jpg

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
This is good news. Cliche Clive has been past it for the last 15 years.

Matterface is irritating, but preferable to Clive. Darren Ferguson for BT is awful. Both of them are try to hard to be mates with the ex pros.

Daniel Mann for Sky is probably the best around for TV commentary imo. Usually does the Championship games. He's really good at knowing when to not say anything so you can hear the atmosphere.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I must say I've been surprised how many people have been tweeting their support for him. Average at best and certainly no Brian Moore. I like Simon Brotherton although I agree that Sam Matterface is pretty good.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I must say I've been surprised how many people have been tweeting their support for him. Average at best and certainly no Brian Moore. I like Simon Brotherton although I agree that Sam Matterface is pretty good.

Don’t think any of the modern day commentators come close to Brian Moore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
What an exciting life and career you have had, and will continue to have, Clive.
Good for you.
But Please stop whinging to people who have far far less.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Come on Clive

Richard Keyes has waded in, defending his 'mate' Clive (or Clove as he calls him once), but also managing to make it all about himself!

Tyldesely has sort of done the same and made Matterface's appointment all about him and his demotion. A bit tasteless.

Keysey has hit the nail on the head.

Just for a minute I thought something really serious had happened. There was my mate Clive Tyldesley - sitting at what looked like his breakfast table - with a glorious backdrop of green grass and fir trees - full of emotion. What was he about to tell us? Was somebody in the family a Covid victim? Did he have a terminal illness? No. It was worse than that - he was being replaced as ITV’s lead commentator. Not sacked. Replaced. Kept on as No. 2 - a job he’s previously had. No-one was trashing him - his work or his reputation. Replaced. And replaced by a dammed good operator.

Come on Clive. You’ve had a wonderful run. Of course I know how you feel. It hurts. But it happens.

Try leaving a company for good - watching them drip feed nonsense into the media and then calling your prospective employee to a meeting to threaten them with financial penalties if they continued with their plans to employ you. ‘We thought we’d buried them. We don’t want this’ three senior Sky executives told the commercial manager of talkSPORT - summoned to a meeting at Gillette Corner. Oh, there’s so much more, but that’s for another time.

I mention that only because I too was emotional about my decision to leave Sky. It wouldn’t have been such a problem had it been left there - but it wasn’t. So I’ve rattled back at times.

This is different. This is like moving an important piece on the chess board. Not having it taken. Just moving it You’re still on the board Clive.

I’ve known Clove since we were both babies. We grew up together at Radio City in Liverpool. He was a brilliant operator. He was the best, better than the rest. He was better than anything national radio had at the time and he knew it, although it didn’t help that he told the bosses at the BBC that his ‘grandmother was a better commentator’ than they had!! And this was at a job interview!! He returned from London to a Birkenhead pub for drinks with me and Bob Paisley. He never applied to radio sport again!!

But I repeat - he was good. Very good. I had ideas of making it as a commentator as well - but I wasn’t anywhere near as good as he was. After four years working together I left to take charge of the sports dept at Piccadilly Radio in Manchester. I was always going to be No 2 had I stayed. Richard Keys, No 2!

Clive is a nice guy. He’s deeply thoughtful and cares. He cares about so many people and he’s always the first to show if you’ve got a problem - although I haven’t heard anything from him these past five years. I don’t know why? *♂️ That’s how I know ITV’s decision will have cut him to the core. But it isn’t terminal Clive. It isn’t over. Far from it.

I have to say I’m chuffed to bits for Sam Matterface. Like me and Clive - and so many more down the years - he’s done his time and he deserves his chance. I thoroughly enjoyed working with him at TalkSPORT. He’s a top pro.

Sam took a big risk when he left Sky to join TalkSPORT. His gamble has paid off handsomely.

Clive has years left in him yet. There’s a big world outside the borders of the U.K. Clive. Like me, you could always try you hand on the radio again. You were brilliant on the radio.

At beINSPORTS we’re lucky enough to have Peter Drury and Andy Townsend to listen to. Without question this pair are now the unrivalled kings of the mic. They’re the best in the business. Andy is the rightful successor to Andy Gray. He’s calm. Thoughtful. Doesn’t pretend everything matters - and he’s unique because he tells me something I haven’t seen - just like my mate used to. That’s the art of co-comm - tell me ‘why’. Don’t just talk over pictures that I can see.

So many these days talk for the sake of it and bury you in stats. TV has pictures. Let them tell their own tale - ‘names and numbers’ as I was once told. You don’t have to talk for 90 minutes - or try and work a game out after two.

I digress. It’s not the end of the world Clive, although I know it feels like it right now. It’s the end of an era. Sam is a good call. Enjoy it mate. Oh - watch out Martin!!!!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Keysey has hit the nail on the head.

Just for a minute I thought something really serious had happened. There was my mate Clive Tyldesley - sitting at what looked like his breakfast table - with a glorious backdrop of green grass and fir trees - full of emotion. What was he about to tell us? Was somebody in the family a Covid victim? Did he have a terminal illness? No. It was worse than that - he was being replaced as ITV’s lead commentator. Not sacked. Replaced. Kept on as No. 2 - a job he’s previously had. No-one was trashing him - his work or his reputation. Replaced. And replaced by a dammed good operator.

Come on Clive. You’ve had a wonderful run. Of course I know how you feel. It hurts. But it happens.

Try leaving a company for good - watching them drip feed nonsense into the media and then calling your prospective employee to a meeting to threaten them with financial penalties if they continued with their plans to employ you. ‘We thought we’d buried them. We don’t want this’ three senior Sky executives told the commercial manager of talkSPORT - summoned to a meeting at Gillette Corner. Oh, there’s so much more, but that’s for another time.

I mention that only because I too was emotional about my decision to leave Sky. It wouldn’t have been such a problem had it been left there - but it wasn’t. So I’ve rattled back at times.

This is different. This is like moving an important piece on the chess board. Not having it taken. Just moving it You’re still on the board Clive.

I’ve known Clove since we were both babies. We grew up together at Radio City in Liverpool. He was a brilliant operator. He was the best, better than the rest. He was better than anything national radio had at the time and he knew it, although it didn’t help that he told the bosses at the BBC that his ‘grandmother was a better commentator’ than they had!! And this was at a job interview!! He returned from London to a Birkenhead pub for drinks with me and Bob Paisley. He never applied to radio sport again!!

But I repeat - he was good. Very good. I had ideas of making it as a commentator as well - but I wasn’t anywhere near as good as he was. After four years working together I left to take charge of the sports dept at Piccadilly Radio in Manchester. I was always going to be No 2 had I stayed. Richard Keys, No 2!

Clive is a nice guy. He’s deeply thoughtful and cares. He cares about so many people and he’s always the first to show if you’ve got a problem - although I haven’t heard anything from him these past five years. I don’t know why? ��*♂️ That’s how I know ITV’s decision will have cut him to the core. But it isn’t terminal Clive. It isn’t over. Far from it.

I have to say I’m chuffed to bits for Sam Matterface. Like me and Clive - and so many more down the years - he’s done his time and he deserves his chance. I thoroughly enjoyed working with him at TalkSPORT. He’s a top pro.

Sam took a big risk when he left Sky to join TalkSPORT. His gamble has paid off handsomely.

Clive has years left in him yet. There’s a big world outside the borders of the U.K. Clive. Like me, you could always try you hand on the radio again. You were brilliant on the radio.

At beINSPORTS we’re lucky enough to have Peter Drury and Andy Townsend to listen to. Without question this pair are now the unrivalled kings of the mic. They’re the best in the business. Andy is the rightful successor to Andy Gray. He’s calm. Thoughtful. Doesn’t pretend everything matters - and he’s unique because he tells me something I haven’t seen - just like my mate used to. That’s the art of co-comm - tell me ‘why’. Don’t just talk over pictures that I can see.

So many these days talk for the sake of it and bury you in stats. TV has pictures. Let them tell their own tale - ‘names and numbers’ as I was once told. You don’t have to talk for 90 minutes - or try and work a game out after two.

I digress. It’s not the end of the world Clive, although I know it feels like it right now. It’s the end of an era. Sam is a good call. Enjoy it mate. Oh - watch out Martin!!!!

"What was he about to tell us? Was somebody in the family a Covid victim? Did he have a terminal illness? No. It was worse than that - he was being replaced as ITV’s lead commentator."

:ffsparr::shootself

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
These days I find most commentators much of a muchness. Though whoever was doing the talking during one of our recent games – I think the Liverpool one – was pretty annoying. Just an endless series of facts whenever a Brighton player touched the ball. Facts that we as Brighton fans already knew, and the rest of the world probably didn't care about.
Yep agree, time to stop with Withdean, Hereford etc, or will they turn to Glenn Murray. The only other players they know of is Dunk & Duffy :facepalm:

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
They got divorced about 5 years ago. Have you ever seen one of the tweets he sent her which reads something along the lines of ‘ you have the best boobies I’ve ever seen’ :lol:

Matterface, has a brother named Tom :lol:

Not a huge fan of Sam to be honest, tries too hard to make every sentence some sort of spoken masterpiece by adding useless metaphors and analogies, often gets lost down a rabbit hole and just sounds daft.

Thought his brother was called Whattsa...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What an exciting life and career you have had, and will continue to have, Clive.
Good for you.
But Please stop whinging to people who have far far less.

I like Clive but nothing stays the same forever. Matterface is top drawer and deserves elevation in the footballing world..

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"What was he about to tell us? Was somebody in the family a Covid victim? Did he have a terminal illness? No. It was worse than that - he was being replaced as ITV’s lead commentator."

:ffsparr::shootself

Spectacularly self-absorbed, as usual from Keys.

I'm assuming that the bit about Andy Townsend being the best is just something that Crodo has inserted into the article for a laugh by the way.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Spectacularly self-absorbed, as usual from Keys.

I'm assuming that the bit about Andy Townsend being the best is just something that Crodo has inserted into the article for a laugh by the way.

You'd think, but...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here