Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Clive Tyldesley

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Couldn't stand Brian "my goodness" Moore! Terrible commentator.

:yawn:

I can't believe what you've said there.

I rate Brian Moore as the best British football commentator of all-time.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS

Believe it, used to drive me crazy when he was commentating on England games whenever the opposition got the ball "oohh could be trouble for England here" . To be fair he was probably right, just didn't need reminding of it every couple of minutes! And he was a Gillingham supporter so punish:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Best commentator? I love the plummy tones of Kenneth Wolstenholme. Motson's slightly random approach to the English language I found endearing as well.

None stand out from the crowd today, but I'm guessing they have to be bland and corporate

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Oh FFS, I bet that means Tyldesley starts doing the international Premier League coverage. We've already got the worst commentator Peter Drury, we don't want the second worst too. He'd be reunited with his old buddy Andy too.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Best commentator? I love the plummy tones of Kenneth Wolstenholme. Motson's slightly random approach to the English language I found endearing as well.

None stand out from the crowd today, but I'm guessing they have to be bland and corporate

Motson. Surely was irritating to the extreme Surely. I mean surely?

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS

Kenneth Wolstenholme DFC & Bar, now you're talking, great commentator, Gentleman and war hero. Famous for his commentary of the England World Cup final in 1966 "Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over..........it is now"! And although semi-retired we were lucky enough to have him as commentator when we beat Newcastle at St James's Park and won promotion to the old Div 1. No faffing about just told it as it was without a hint of favouritism.
In 1941, he qualified as a bomber pilot and was posted to 107 Squadron, flying Bristol Blenheim Mk. IVs out of RAF Great Massingham, Norfolk. At the start of 1943 he transferred to de Havilland Mosquito with 105 Squadron, part of Air Vice-Marshal Don Bennett's No. 8 Group RAF Pathfinder Group.
Wolstenholme completed more than 100 highly hazardous sorties over Occupied Europe and in May 1944 was awarded the DFC. The following year, he won a Bar to his DFC for his continual bravery in raids on Germany in a period of exceptionally heavy night fighter activity.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Motson. Surely was irritating to the extreme Surely. I mean surely?

I used to like Motson, but he retired about 10 years too late. In his later years he seemed to lose track of what was going on and spent most of the time trying to shoehorn in random statistics.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Me too, I loved that mans voice, he got the art of commentary just right.

Barry Davies not far behind him.

Tyldesley replaced Moore at ITV - it was like Moyes following Ferguson. Never liked Tyldesley.

Matterface has got better, he used to be terrible as his voice kept breaking but he seems to have stopped that.

IMO Ian Dennis is the best out there today.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
My favourite commentator and I’m not just saying this because if his Brighton connections i only learnt this later, was Peter Brackley. Grew up with him on football Italia. Warm, funny, self deprecating and usually informed.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Brian Moore was always dependable.
I also like Martin Tyler until he deserted the ITV network. I played football against him in Surrey about forty years ago he knew he had been in a game that day.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Won't be missed in the slightest - The guy was full of himself

Whatever happened to Kirsty Gallacher who used to Present on Sky TV ? - I used to like her. One minute she is there to brighten up your day. Then she just seemed to disappear without all this Hullabalooooo that seems to be happening with Tyldesdale

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The more I think about this story, the more crazy I find it's actually a story. I know it's a typical Crodo thread, but the main 'news' is 'man changes job', which is pretty pathetic when you think about it. It was, obviously, getting airtime on Talkshite earlier, but if it was in any other industry, then would/should anyone care? I don't think that video helped – I get the impression he wanted people to feel sorry for him, but he just comes across as a bit bitter. I certainly can't see him staying with ITV as the number two – not after giving them a slagging on social media like that!

I bet there's more to it than just being replaced...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
The more I think about this story, the more crazy I find it's actually a story. I know it's a typical Crodo thread, but the main 'news' is 'man changes job', which is pretty pathetic when you think about it. It was, obviously, getting airtime on Talkshite earlier, but if it was in any other industry, then would/should anyone care? I don't think that video helped – I get the impression he wanted people to feel sorry for him, but he just comes across as a bit bitter. I certainly can't see him staying with ITV as the number two – not after giving them a slagging on social media like that!

I bet there's more to it than just being replaced...

You could be right about the bitterness, it seems to be a disease of modern times, I am not sure it has ever been so widespread, it just seems to keep getting stronger as time goes on, whatever happened to love thy neighbour?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He's been demoted, with apparently no explanation. Now that may or may not be the case, we've only got his side of it. But like most people, I would also be a wee bit grumpy had that happened to me in my job.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He might be a nice person, but I loathed Tyldesley’s commentary. England games were ruined with his inane shite and giving viewers a heart attack with excitable outburst as the opposition launched a rubbish counter attack, with England set up well to ensure it came to nothing.

The low point duo being Tyldesley and journeyman plodder Robbie Earle for CL matches. Thankfully he got the sack years ago.

Matterface is alright, but fiercely biased to The Chavs Chelski.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here