Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Player ratings H v Man City

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Rough game. The players worked hard (I know you dont believe it but thats what they did) and unfortunately City's very high class in combination with some players getting entirely undressed made the numbers quite big and especially in the own penalty area I would have expected a tad bit more despite the opposition.

Matt Ryan - 2
Lets just say it wasnt his day. People asking for him to be dropped against Saints need to take a deep breath and count to ten though.

Martin Montoya - 6
I'm very far from a Montoya fan but he was probably the defender least involved in the not so convincing defensive performance today. Did what you could expect from a very average or pretty poor defender facing City. If he was quality and put down the same performance it would have been a steady 3 or 4, but with Martins standards it was ok.

Adam Webster - 4
While its really no surprise Webster got some issues with very technical and pacy attackers twisting and turning, you could expect far more presence in the air than he showed today. Not much in his generally successful passing either. A game to forget.

Lewis Dunk - 6
retty close to a 5 but gets the benefit of a doubt since he was more or less alone on the left side playing against De Bruyne, Mahrez, Walker... and Bernardo.

Bernardo - 2
I think the unwarranted yelling about replacing the extremely consistent and competent Dan Burn with this fella will be pretty muted for a couple of days. I had to check how many times he lost possession: 16, fairly sure its some type of record for a Brighton player this season. It might have been the worst individual performance of any player in any game this season (Sheffield Wednesday in the cup never happened).

Aaron Mooy - 6
Worked his ass off as usual and got pretty tired and faded towards the end as usual, but was one of the few able to actually keep the ball within the team.

Davy Pröpper - 4
When he gets a bit of time he can play opening through balls and turns like few others in the team, but he is just slow in the thought and too often on his heels and the only type of consistency he got is that he consistently lose the ball in dangerous areas. Despite all of this, he improved as the game went on and was decent in his last 30 min on the pitch.

Yves Bissouma - 6
You see the class, even today, but he is still a year away from being able to do a top performance against one of the dirtiest midfields in history.

Pascal Gross - 7
Worked hard and was involved in the little that was created. I had never heard of him when I started watching the team, but he is "secretly" a class player - too bad he lacks pace.

Leandro Trossard - 6
Considering how little he had to work with, he did very much out of it. However, I've seen him put down some very good defensive performances recently but in that aspect he was just lost today - their ugly right side was too clever and too skilled to even let him come near and close down.

Aaron Connolly - 5
Perhaps N/A would be more fair. Ran like a rabid dog as usual, giving Tross a bit of space, but... didnt do much and there was really nothing he could do either. 90 minutes against opposition like this is good experience for him though.

Subs:
Tariq Lamptey - 6
Came in and had a better grasp of the right side (as expected), but also lost the ball dangerously a few times which could have been pretty bad if the game was in a stage were City werent as complacent.

Dale Stephens - 7
Came on and had as many interceptions (5) as Bissouma (2) and Pröpper (3) together. He might be old and boring, but he is Dale Stephens.

Ali Jahanbakhsh - N/A
Pretty meh. Had some good intents but also lost the ball a couple of times. Not really fair to give him a rating though.

Neal Maupay - 6 (or N/A)
Did a poor pass at a good counter attack opportunity but other than that you could see the ball control, the bite and the inherent class.

I'm not going to argue with the scores but was is this about players getting naked ? I missed that bit. Is it something to do with your sex dungeon under the Amex ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And that being the reason why Stephens is going nowhere. We need players with bite and attitude as well as the flair players and I think GP appreciates what he brings. Unless we can replace him and his leadership and attitude with an upgrade he will be staying

This.

The anti Stephens mob have never understood the composition of any successful midfield, or the need in for two or three players with bite in any team.

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
if half of these players are in the squad next season, prepare for another dismal and dire season.

After the Liverpool match when people were purring over the perfomance and claiming to be a couple of players away from being a top 10 side.

I was shot down for having the audacity to suggest that the good performance was because the opposition gave the ball away constantly and playing so openly would cause issues against sides who defend more efficiently.

By the very nature that people were getting carried away on a "Wave of Expectancy " then.

I will dare to suggest that people are "Over Reacting" to yesterday's performance now.

Last night's performances were nowhere near as bad as people are making out. And the performance against Liverpool was nowhere as good as people were making out.

It was largely similar. The difference between the two matches was the Efficiency of the opposition was largely the only difference.

This Brighton side is nowhere near being a Top 10 side but nether are the a bottom 3 side.

I wouldn't slate the players the way people are doing. Yes sure. These players need to be upgraded many of them if it can be possibly done ; however they are capable of competing and staying in the Top Division next year again.

The change from last week to this week is as I said on the other thread. " Expectancy " went through the roof prematurely. Nothing wrong with ambition. But player don't become Great Players because they " Play Great " - They become " Great Players " when they " CONSISTENTLY Play Great "

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
After the Liverpool match when people were purring over the perfomance and claiming to be a couple of players away from being a top 10 side.

I was shot down for having the audacity to suggest that the good performance was because the opposition gave the ball away constantly and playing so openly would cause issues against sides who defend more efficiently.

By the very nature that people were getting carried away on a "Wave of Expectancy " then.

I will dare to suggest that people are "Over Reacting" to yesterday's performance now.

Last night's performances were nowhere near as bad as people are making out. And the performance against Liverpool was nowhere as good as people were making out.

It was largely similar. The difference between the two matches was the Efficiency of the opposition was largely the only difference.

This Brighton side is nowhere near being a Top 10 side but nether are the a bottom 3 side.

I wouldn't slate the players the way people are doing. Yes sure. These players need to be upgraded many of them if it can be possibly done ; however they are capable of competing and staying in the Top Division next year again.

The change from last week to this week is as I said on the other thread. " Expectancy " went through the roof prematurely. Nothing wrong with ambition. But player don't become Great Players because they " Play Great " - They become " Great Players " when they " CONSISTENTLY Play Great "

All correct, imho.

Liverpool have been poor away from home since about February, they started with a rookie RB at LB, rested Fabinho & co to start with and have been so vulnerable in defence (even a shocking Villa team got through them). For an hour we outplayed them. But they still scored three goals.

This squad isn’t a smidgen away from top 10, it’s arrogance to suggest that.

Three or four quality signings will propel up the PL, being a Stains and Burnley is attainable, but we’re crying out for those players. Easier said than done.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not a good game for TeamStat.

Propper, Ryan and Bernie Inn all sorts of trouble.

Without Ali's mightily impressive cameo (word up) I could be forgiven for not turning up today.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

I agree that the performance against the bin dippers was being overstated. I don't agree that the performance last night doesn't deserve serious criticism.

Going to refrain from dropping names, but several players looked like they were going through the motions. Only a couple looked like they were playing for any pride, both personally and on behalf of the club whose shirt they wear.

Yes, the opposition are a state funded abomination and they created many opportunities where, had they scored, very little critcism could have been attributed. Unfortunately the goals they did score were as a result of some seriously woeful individual and/or collaborative unforced errors.

As many have said, it was akin to schoolboys against pros and we contributed as much, or more to that analogy than our opposition did.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Potter - 4 - Turned up to the battle of Stalingrad wielding a stick of rhubarb. Reduced to managing the damage in the second half

Funny guy laughing hysterically.gif

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Very good assessment summary Mr V. What would you score Potter incidentally?

I’m still a big fan of Potter and suspect he was resting our better players for the more winnable games coming up.

I question individual performances, yes they have a better team by far, but no excuse for gifting them chances due to unforced errors.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Why is everyone slating Bernado? Hasn't played for months then chucked in against one of the best teams In Europe. Thought he did well considering.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Why is everyone slating Bernado? Hasn't played for months then chucked in against one of the best teams In Europe. Thought he did well considering.

Not sure about well, quite poor in fact compared to his normal standards (IMO), but against City, not started for some time, what were people expecting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011

The way it's going my original quote of half the players being in the squad will be another dismal season, That could turn out to be BS if we go down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here