Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester City *** Official Match Thread ***

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Pep telling it like it is

Guardiola said: “It is the first season for Graham. The manager will need time.

“Graham is one of the best English managers I have met in the country with all respect to the other ones.

“He is and will be a successful manager because I have noticed how he is as a human being and as a manager.

“I am a big fan of the managers who try to play their own way and not just wait for circumstances or one moment to win the game.

“But sometimes you need more time because the way he wants to try to play is attractive, is seductive but it’s not easy.

“I’m pretty sure next season if the club follow him, he is going to build.

“I am speaking of this because I saw when he was at Swansea, when we were nearly knocked out of the FA Cup.

“I knew when I saw his team play against Arsenal in the Europa League and the way his team played.

“I admire these guys with maybe not the best players like the lucky managers like I am, to have exceptional players in my hands.

“He tries to do what he has to do.

“I wish him all the best.

“I am pretty sure next season he will be in the Premier League and next season will be better for him and for Brighton.”

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

“Graham is one of the best English managers I have met in the country with all respect to the other ones.

“He is and will be a successful manager because I have noticed how he is as a human being and as a manager.

“I am a big fan of the managers who try to play their own way and not just wait for circumstances or one moment to win the game.

“But sometimes you need more time because the way he wants to try to play is attractive, is seductive but it’s not easy.

“I am speaking of this because I saw when he was at Swansea, when we were nearly knocked out of the FA Cup.

“I knew when I saw his team play against Arsenal in the Europa League and the way his team played.

“I admire these guys with maybe not the best players like the lucky managers like I am, to have exceptional players in my hands.

“I am pretty sure next season he will be in the Premier League and next season will be better for him and for Brighton.”

And he looks forwards to the 6 points next year

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
yes i agree with you entirely, but lets not forget (i know they arent quite as good as the others) but we have beaten Spurs and done the double over Arsenal and drawn with Chelsea this season and beaten Man utd 2 times out of 3 at the amex.

Big names, great results, proud days, but a side from Chelsea, who we’ve never beaten, none were near their historic best when we played. Why I keep saying top 2-3. Liverpool, Chelsea and City are beatable and have been by Norwich, Sheff Us and Palace Etc. It’s only Brighton fans and increasingly management and team that go into these fixtures with a losing mentality. And excuses afterwards. What’s wrong with us drawing or heaven forbid beating em like all the aforementioned? Because we’re little old Brighton, small town mentality. Flask and sit on hands brigade. Country Casuals. Always ready to excuse. People forget that likes of Wimbledon, Wigan and even ‘plucky’ Bmuff have all played at the top table with far better results than us against top (at the time) teams. If I’m deluded, then I’d say equally there’s a heck of a lot of our fans who are defeatist and obviously don’t read the scores of others each weekend. These teams are beatable. We can draw, inc. away! We don’t necessarily have to roll over, Never have a shot, concede a hat full and lose each time. No matter who’s in charge, what the performance, far too many just feel it’s ok to lose and cite money as the reason. We are far too soft in a word. Soft southern shites isn’t an unfair label from our northern friends, which is basically everyone.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
And he looks forwards to the 6 points next year

I don't doubt Guardiola's sincerity. His record everywhere he has been has shown a consistent dedication to wanting football to be something more than just results. He is right that he is lucky that he started at the top and has always enjoyed the largest budgets, but his approach works. He improves players and teams. Its easy to be cynical about the approval that both he and Klopp have spoken, given that it has come after convincing wins for their teams, but both have enjoyed many convincing wins and haven't always felt the need to express support for the approaches of the opposing managers.

Personally, despite the accusation of 'grateful little Brighton' mentality that it leaves me open to, I take heart from both of their comments. I reckon they probably know more about football than I do. They might even know more than those on this board who are currently explaining everything that is wrong with our club's mentality, manager's tactical approach and players' dedication.

We took a hammering. The odds are that this will not be the last time. We are a team who are consistently outgunned in terms of wages we can offer and players we can attract. This won't change in the short term. Pep will continue to be fortunate and Graham Potter will continue to have to struggle on with players that we can afford. With good recruitment and youth development we will improve, but the chances are that they'll still be regularly taking six points off us. Same as they do off so many others in this league. We can't measure our progress by how we get on in these games. As Chris Hughton previously said, to get anything from these games, we have to be perfect on the day, they have to be a bit off their game and then we still need a bit of luck. All three went in the opposite direction yesterday.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I don't doubt Guardiola's sincerity. His record everywhere he has been has shown a consistent dedication to wanting football to be something more than just results. He is right that he is lucky that he started at the top and has always enjoyed the largest budgets, but his approach works. He improves players and teams. Its easy to be cynical about the approval that both he and Klopp have spoken, given that it has come after convincing wins for their teams, but both have enjoyed many convincing wins and haven't always felt the need to express support for the approaches of the opposing managers.

Personally, despite the accusation of 'grateful little Brighton' mentality that it leaves me open to, I take heart from both of their comments. I reckon they probably know more about football than I do. They might even know more than those on this board who are currently explaining everything that is wrong with our club's mentality, manager's tactical approach and players' dedication.

We took a hammering. The odds are that this will not be the last time. We are a team who are consistently outgunned in terms of wages we can offer and players we can attract. This won't change in the short term. Pep will continue to be fortunate and Graham Potter will continue to have to struggle on with players that we can afford. With good recruitment and youth development we will improve, but the chances are that they'll still be regularly taking six points off us. Same as they do off so many others in this league. We can't measure our progress by how we get on in these games. As Chris Hughton previously said, to get anything from these games, we have to be perfect on the day, they have to be a bit off their game and then we still need a bit of luck. All three went in the opposite direction yesterday.

Hopefully he loves Potter so much same as Klippety and sends us some players as we play the right way.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017

Absolutely this. The big question is which players are capable of Potterball?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

I thought exactly the same. Great post.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
All yesterday proved to me, is I detest losing and I can act like a child who doesn't get his own way.(especially when I've had an alcoholic beverage)
Normally, the day after, as today, I see things (soberly)clearer and know we won't always play well and if the opposition are fairly competent like the mancs we'll get battered.
Moving on, there are still 9 points to play for against teams who are on the same planet as us

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Great post. #teamslikebrighton will take at least 2-3 proper canings every season from the likes of City, particularly with someone like GP in charge who isn’t afraid to try things out. Happy to live with the occasional thumping for now (they beat Liverpool 4-0....) as long as overall we see continual improvement.....which looks quite likely this season in terms of points and has 100% been the case in terms of strategy, progression and watchability.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Class will always out....

And we were well and truly outed.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The Guardian quote is what I’m pointing out. We are too nice, never do the nasty snide stuff. Stopping attacks in the midfield, getting in the face of refs, the stuff you see most other sides do. Refs must love doing us as they know whatever decision they make, no one complains and there’s nice cakes and peppermint tea waiting for them in the changing room post match.

Tell that to Matteo Guendouzi

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Tell that to Matteo Guendouzi

Wasn’t he the ******** though. Not sure anyone touch him and their keeper fell awkwardly attempting to stay in his area. So can’t see you point.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Wasn’t he the ******** though. Not sure anyone touch him and their keeper fell awkwardly attempting to stay in his area. So can’t see you point.

If you think Neal Maupay goes round drinking peppermint tea or however you put it then fair enough.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here