Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sheffield Wednesday

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Dear oh dear ... what a mess.

The rules on what deduction you get and crucially when you get it should be clearly laid out for all to see. Not left to the whim of an "independent" disciplinary panel.

It's just inviting the sort of chaotic litigation which will now ensue.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Dear oh dear ... what a mess.

The rules on what deduction you get and crucially when you get it should be clearly laid out for all to see. Not left to the whim of an "independent" disciplinary panel.

It's just inviting the sort of chaotic litigation which will now ensue.

Totally this. Rule needs to apply strictly to all without compromise. Can't have selective justice. If Wednesday were Luton they'd be down.

Truth is what's happened at Wigan (where nobody went unpaid and due to huge mitigating circumstances of covid + season extension) is far less severe imho than a club that's tried cheating it's way to the PL. Wednesday are no better than russian athletes who dope, trying to gain an unfair competitive advantage that breaks the rules.

I hope Charlton appeal.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I think there needs to be government legislation like in Germany - I think its the law that no one can own more than 50% of a club and fans must have equal voting rights

It's too late. The English game was languishing in the late 80s, on and off the pitch. We welcomed the bankrolling of clubs like Blackburn in the 90s and Chelsea and City in the following decades. What we've got is the most competitive top flight in Europe.

50+1 works for Germany, but is constantly under threat, mainly due to its weird exceptions (a company/person can own a club fully if it has already for 20 years/RB Leipzig are 50% owned by Red Bull, 50% owned by 14 "members" who work for Red Bull).

The Bundesliga is also a ridiculously young professional league and was born out of the amateur/semi-professional game (rather than the Premier League coming from the already moneyed and professional game). It was run as a not-for-profit league until 1998 when they introduced 50+1 to allow teams to convert to PLCs. We act as if it is this wonderful rule brought in to create a fan ownership model but the sad reality is, it was brought about for investment purposes. The logical next step, called for by a handful of current clubs, is for the league to scrap the rule (especially when it is so easy to find loopholes).

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
If Charlton were to win their case (and Wednesday be docked 12 points THIS season), and Wigan were to win their appeal, Charlton would still go down....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Was reading about this on owlstalk, one comment made me laugh, "so now that we have been cleared, we can spend as much money as we like to get promotion this season". What is it with northern teams and deluded fans?

Many Villa and Everton fans are talking in exactly those terms this summer.

Seeing UEFA’s bizarre loss of the Man City appeal, as the green light to unlimited spending by their owners.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My son in law is a Wednesday fan....he now tells me he doesn’t want to talk football anymore :lolol:

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
The point deduction cannot apply this season as the club in questions (Wednesdays) season had finished after the announcement of a point deduction was made.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think there needs to be government legislation like in Germany - I think its the law that no one can own more than 50% of a club and fans must have equal voting rights

Don't think it is Government legislation as there are exceptions. Leipzig being one and Wolfsburg another.

Would be impossible to introduce in this country as too many clubs are owned by single organisations/individuals.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Many Villa and Everton fans are talking in exactly those terms this summer.

Seeing UEFA’s bizarre loss of the Man City appeal, as the green light to unlimited spending by their owners.

Looking forward to our £100m Star Lizard sponsorship for naming the North Stand gents.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The point deduction cannot apply this season as the club in questions (Wednesdays) season had finished after the announcement of a point deduction was made.

Cobblers, the date of the announcement is a complete irrelevance. Swindon were relegated 2 divisions (1 on appeal) after they'd won the old 2nd division to get "promoted" to the top flight, but subsequently found guilty of cooking the books. The deadline for the verdict and charge is not the last game of the season. This charge was brought about in November 2019 relating to the previous years accounts, so of COURSE the points deduction should have applied to season 19/20, as thats the season it has directed affected. Yet another predictable bungle by the EFL.

In other unsurprising news, the word on Owlstalk is very much of the "tough shit" two-fingers variety towards CAFC. Classy, as always.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
League administrators for both EPL and EFL are clueless. Wigan under no threat whatsoever are thrown into administration by an owner that the EFL sanctioned and get an immediate points deduction yet Wednesday, who committed their crime several seasons ago don't have theirs applied until next season. I can understand why Charlton are a bit pissed off.

Still, when you consider how corrupt football administrators are globally, is it any surprise?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
When was the last time a football club actually took legal action against the football authorities ? Always seems to be just talk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here