Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000kq6f

Go to 2:06:00 for...

- A 5-6 minute interview with Dan Burn.
- Some pundit talk about Dan Burn.

They go on to some other stuff - skip onto 2:21:00 for:

Some pundit talk about Lewis Dunk - his passing, International chances and "big club" move.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000kq6f

Go to 2:06:00 for...

- A 5-6 minute interview with Dan Burn.
- Some pundit talk about Dan Burn.

They go on to some other stuff - skip onto 2:21:00 for:

Some pundit talk about Lewis Dunk - his passing, International chances and "big club" move.
Worrying that we're now only 6 points above the relegation zone .................................

(According to BBC 5Live)

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
How little did the pundits know about how we play or what Lewis does !

Seeing as they seemed to think we are only 6 points above the relegation zone it's not look hopeful.

EDIT - To be fair it's actually a decent interview with Big Dan Burn, he speaks very highly of Lamptey and Lewis Dunk. Thinks Lamptey has a huge future ahead of him, says hes very grounded. Hates playing against him in training as he's so quick. Talks about perceptions that Burn shouldn't be able to play full back because he's too tall etc.

The host knows his stuff, but Dion Dublin hasn't got a clue (stick to doing up houses and making square drums), saying that Dunk hasn't got the big move because he can't play out from the back, claims we need better players to play the way Potter wants. Dublin also completely ignored the stat that Dunk is the 10th best passer of the ball in the Premier League this season, and every player above him plays for top 6 sides.

Dunk might need better players around him for us to move up the table but our captain certainly doesn't need replacing. Dublin also mentions that a centre half should play ugly, clearly stuck in some footballing dark ages. Dunky can play ugly as we all know, but it does him a massive disservice to claim he can't play, he's always been a very cultured footballer. As Potter said he knew Dunk was good from the outside looking in, now he's worked with him he realises he didn't know just how great Dunky is.

Karen Carney thinks that our good form since the restart is down to not having fans in the ground, apparently we are on the backs of the players too much and don't want them to play out from the back and hoof it more. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
and our regular centre backs Dunk and Duffy.............

............ but at least since Potter's come in Dunk's learned to play a bit, not just throw his body on the line and block everything ........... I wonder if he'll ever graduate to pinging out 40-50 yard passes with pin point accuracy?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Seeing as they seemed to think we are only 6 points above the relegation zone it's not look hopeful.

EDIT - To be fair it's actually a decent interview with Big Dan Burn, he speaks very highly of Lamptey and Lewis Dunk. Thinks Lamptey has a huge future ahead of him, says hes very grounded. Hates playing against him in training as he's so quick. Talks about perceptions that Burn shouldn't be able to play full back because he's too tall etc.

The host knows his stuff, but Dion Dublin hasn't got a clue (stick to doing up houses and making square drums), saying that Dunk hasn't got the big move because he can't play out from the back, claims we need better players to play the way Potter wants. Dublin also completely ignored the stat that Dunk is the 10th best passer of the ball in the Premier League this season, and every player above him plays for top 6 sides. Dunk might need better players around him for us to move up the table but our captain certainly doesn't need replacing. Dublin also mentions that a centre half should play ugly, clearly stuck in some footballing dark ages. Dunky can play ugly as we all know, but it does him a massive disservice to claim he can't play, he's always been a very cultured footballer. As Potter said he knew Dunk was good from the outside looking in, now he's worked with him he realises he didn't know just how great Dunky is.

Karen Carney thinks that our good form since the restart is down to not having fans in the ground, apparently we are on the backs of the players too much and don't want them to play out from the back and hoof it more. :rolleyes:

Utterly infuriating that a pundit steals a living like this.

Him and John Barnes, just as ignorant of teams outside the top 6.

Would it kill them to do a little research maybe? I mean, they’re probably well paid for their job.. if I had to speak about say, I don’t know, the RB situation at Southampton, I’d spend a little time researching it before talking about it on the radio.

Well it’s the BBC’s budget I guess.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
"i dont want to give Brighton too much credit"!!! WTF, its like they are scared they will burst into flames if they say anything nice without qualifying it with a reason why Brighton aren't worthy enough to be where they are. So disrespectful. The discussion on Dunk and England when asked why isn't he in the England set up- after spending 5 mins praising him, they all fell silent trying to think why he wasn't good enough- no answers to that,you could almost hear the begrudging acceptance that a Brighton player was good enough.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Alex Ferguson used to remark on Dion Dublin’s extraordinary appendage. Now he’s acting a massive tool. That interview made me doubt he’d ever seen us play.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
In my view R5L has been going downhill for several years. I hardly listen to it now - plenty of decent podcasts with much better informed contributors.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Utterly infuriating that a pundit steals a living like this.

Him and John Barnes, just as ignorant of teams outside the top 6.

Would it kill them to do a little research maybe? I mean, they’re probably well paid for their job.. if I had to speak about say, I don’t know, the RB situation at Southampton, I’d spend a little time researching it before talking about it on the radio.

Well it’s the BBC’s budget I guess.

Yes, but that budget is our flipping licence fee!!!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

It's funny how pundits' minds work. It has obviously occurred to her that the lack of fan frustration could be a positive factor for slow build possession teams, so she applies it to us, completely disregarding the evidence of the way we have been playing post lockdown: i.e. less possession based, more concentrated on being defensively organised and trying to make the most of counter attacks. She knows nothing of the frustration exhibited by our fans when our team were not trying to play their football at the end of last season, nor of the overwhelming support and belief the fans have shown in the changes. She has done no research and has no evidence to support her suggestion, but proffers it anyway. The need to challenge and reject this kind of instinctual guesswork and received insider wisdom seems the main lesson to be gained from the 'Moneyball' approach.

As far as Dunk is concerned, if Gareth Southgate has been to the Amex to watch us play at home at any point during our three year stay in the top league, it hasn't been reported anywhere I can find. He has been to Villa Park on many occasions, even a few times before they were promoted from the Championship, so I think we can guess his likely bias when selecting England centre backs.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He only knows what the stairs lead to now. Certainly nothing about football what a blank

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

The host knows his stuff, but Dion Dublin hasn't got a clue (stick to doing up houses and making square drums), saying that Dunk hasn't got the big move because he can't play out from the back, claims we need better players to play the way Potter wants. Dublin also completely ignored the stat that Dunk is the 10th best passer of the ball in the Premier League this season, and every player above him plays for top 6 sides.

Dunk might need better players around him for us to move up the table but our captain certainly doesn't need replacing. Dublin also mentions that a centre half should play ugly, clearly stuck in some footballing dark ages. Dunky can play ugly as we all know, but it does him a massive disservice to claim he can't play, he's always been a very cultured footballer. As Potter said he knew Dunk was good from the outside looking in, now he's worked with him he realises he didn't know just how great Dunky is.

But the man knows his stairs and where they go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTjs59onomo

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Heard the show last night. A dreadful piece of radio. The pundits obviously haven’t watched us play this season. Still talking about Dunk and Duffy as if have been our main two centre backs. Then questioning Dunks passing ability when he has one of the best passing averages for both long and short passes in the league, especially when top 6 clubs excluded. These pundits really are stealing a living.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
BBC R5 crass punditry attempting to outdo Talksh!t in dross review/reportage..........

'What's really helped Brighton is not having any fans'!!!!!Jeez!

Tyrone Mings.......sums up BBC really.....

TNBA

TTF

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Heard the show last night. A dreadful piece of radio. The pundits obviously haven’t watched us play this season. Still talking about Dunk and Duffy as if have been our main two centre backs. Then questioning Dunks passing ability when he has one of the best passing averages for both long and short passes in the league, especially when top 6 clubs excluded. These pundits really are stealing a living.
Shameful ineptitude hugely shown up by far better researched and better informed punditry on the Anfield Wrap! And I'd guess they don't get paid either ...........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here