Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Anyone got a fully electric car ?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Well of course I wont suffer the depreciation, same as I don't suffer it on my neighbours car that I don't own either.

Really, Is renting your house cheaper than buying it ? I fail to see how forking out month after month for ever and end up owning nothing can be better/cheaper than owning something. The tax angle is totally irrelevant, I'm not a business, cannot put it as expenses or reclaim VAT.

At least with a PCP for example I make the payments and then the car is mine and nothing to pay any more, unlike leasing where you pay for life for no asset whatsoever and someone else to make a profit.

I guess it's just down to whether you want/need to change or upgrade your car regularly, for which you'll pay whether you rent or buy. I'm happy to keep mine for many years, I like having no car payments to make.
Indeed, keeping a car for a longer time, or buying second hand, is almost always cheaper.

Most people, however, change their car every 3-4 years so if they want their car to be new each time leasing is often the cheaper option.

Anyway, none of my cars have been electric, so lets take the thread back on topic...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
But will I want to keep paying forever at the end of the lease deal, no I won't. Ultimately taken to it's conclusion leasing provides a regular new car in return for forever payments. Purchasing means less new cars but no payments if you keep the cars beyond payment term.

Fair enough. I get that. Good luck with your search – there are some great EVs out there :thumbsup:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Octopus Energy have a really interesting scheme for leasing a Nissan Leaf, which might be of interest to anyone who has the car sat mostly on the driveway. Essentially they charge it when demand is low and power the house from it at peak time. You need to commit to having the car on the driveway from about 17:00-07:00 most days I think.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
My boss has an electric Golf and that's a lovely car. Charges it at home during the night and costs him pence to charge fully. Only issue is the range which is poorer than some other EVs on the market.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Are we talking about the same thing? Leasing is renting, at the end of the term the car is handed back, no option to purchase the car has always belonged to the lessor, same as renting a house, hence empty driveway and monthly rent having been paid for the term, empty wallet.

Depends on who you lease through. Leaseplan, for example, *do* give you the option to buy the vehicle when the lease ends. And they appear to do so at a very fair value, as well. My Prius is through LP (via my company), I've got the right to buy it, and the indicative quote I've had through from their website (still waiting for the human verified formal quote) is entirely reasonable - slightly expensive for a private purchase, but cheaper than buying through a dealer (according to Autotrader estimates).

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
My neighbour has a Jaguar iPACE. I have driven it up and down to London a few times recently so he can have heart surgery, and he's given me his spare key.

It is easily the most stunning car I've driven. Would I have one? Hell, yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOqtNHuFq5k

Edit: this top gear presenter is a dick. Keeping it charged is a piece of piss. If you worry about running out of electricity you need to get out more. Or, er, stay in more.

I’ve driven one of these, and yes, they are amazing. Off a shovel.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
My neighbour has a Jaguar iPACE. I have driven it up and down to London a few times recently so he can have heart surgery, and he's given me his spare key.

It is easily the most stunning car I've driven. Would I have one? Hell, yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOqtNHuFq5k

Edit: this top gear presenter is a dick. Keeping it charged is a piece of piss. If you worry about running out of electricity you need to get out more. Or, er, stay in more.

I’m leasing one of these as a company car. Ordered in Jan and should’ve had it mid April, but none are being delivered at moment for obvious reason. Can’t wait though!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Having taken a fabulous test drive in a Tesla, intellectually I would consider a fully electric car. However, as I don't have a fully electric garage i.e. no power source, it's a no from me. However, a reasonably priced hybrid could one day be an option.

I live in a terraced street with limited parking, I would be extremely lucky to park within 40 yds of my house on the correct side of the road in order to plug in. needs to be a massive investment in infrastructure if you ask me.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Well of course I wont suffer the depreciation, same as I don't suffer it on my neighbours car that I don't own either.

Really, Is renting your house cheaper than buying it ? I fail to see how forking out month after month for ever and end up owning nothing can be better/cheaper than owning something. The tax angle is totally irrelevant, I'm not a business, cannot put it as expenses or reclaim VAT.

At least with a PCP for example I make the payments and then the car is mine and nothing to pay any more, unlike leasing where you pay for life for no asset whatsoever and someone else to make a profit.

I guess it's just down to whether you want/need to change or upgrade your car regularly, for which you'll pay whether you rent or buy. I'm happy to keep mine for many years, I like having no car payments to make.
By far the cheapest way to buy is to go second hand. I've owned 5 cars over 34 years, total cost about £22k. Run them until they become unreliable, which nowadays tends to take quite a while.

FAO anybody, out of interest. We know that EU mpg claims for petrol cars are way overstated, because in normal use they get nowhere near what's advertised. How about electric ones? The car might say 200 mile range - but if I'm driving over the Yorkshire/Lancashire hills and A roads on a cold winter night with headlights, wipers, and heaters on - what's the range then?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
By far the cheapest way to buy is to go second hand. I've owned 5 cars over 34 years, total cost about £22k. Run them until they become unreliable, which nowadays tends to take quite a while.

FAO anybody, out of interest. We know that EU mpg claims for petrol cars are way overstated, because in normal use they get nowhere near what's advertised. How about electric ones? The car might say 200 mile range - but if I'm driving over the Yorkshire/Lancashire hills and A roads on a cold winter night with headlights, wipers, and heaters on - what's the range then?

There is a very good comparison website https://ev-database.uk/ which will help you find the 'real' range for an EV. in warm and cold conditions and in town and combined journeys.

You can also view by range, price, most efficient etc.

Having watched quite a number of programs, mostly on Youtube channels, such as Fully Charged and EV man, Electric cars do seem to be quite accurate in the range claims, certainly more so than ICE claims, probably due to the efficiency of the motor.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm sold on the idea as and when it suits my budget, I've always been averse to wasting money and modern cars are just that to me, larelgy souless and tools to do a job.

I am also sold on the idea of an electric conversion for one of my Lambrettas, for nipping about it'd be miles better in every respect, and having already looked into it, am convinced it can be done as a bolt out bolt in job, ie not ruin/devalue a classic.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
I Test drove I pace but preferred the Tesla model 3

So I bought the Tesla

Got to say it is the best car I have ever had ( had some pretty good cars and more expensive than this but none as good. )

It is amazing to drive
Ridiculously fast
Amazing tech
Beautifully smooth
Long range

It is just amazing.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Ask this chap, he had one..

sinclair.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm sold on the idea as and when it suits my budget, I've always been averse to wasting money and modern cars are just that to me, larelgy souless and tools to do a job.

I am also sold on the idea of an electric conversion for one of my Lambrettas, for nipping about it'd be miles better in every respect, and having already looked into it, am convinced it can be done as a bolt out bolt in job, ie not ruin/devalue a classic.

removing the sounds and smells of a scooter engine immediately devalues a classic.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
The Kona and e-Niro are my first choices due to range 250 miles plus and equipment, This is where my 'range anxiety' or I prefer to call it 'range jealousy' comes in as I want that range at a cheaper price, I can't justify to myself spending over £30,000 on something that is going to sit in the driveway for 95% or more of it's life.

This is the problem with electric cars - they are expensive and you need to be getting the use to justify the expenditure. They are ideally suited to someone who commutes a significant distance every day to work and can re-charge overnight or at work. After that a second-hand EV that is used for urban driving is ideal. The range anxiety is a bit of a false flag - the vast majority of EV drivers will say that it is never an issue and the charging network continues to expand (and will have to accelerate because of climate policies).

I long pondered buying an EV - but decided that I couldn't justify the expense - although will probably get a second-hand one when I retire for urban commuting and will use public transport when I have to travel longer distances.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

Same issue with EVs - you really need to do your homework - ideally take it on a test run for 24 hours and do a full range run.

You are right about hills etc - like a petrol car, it takes more energy to climb - although most EVs now have regen braking. One of the big issues with range is the cold weather - EV batteries perform poorly in the cold and can drop a significant amount of range as a result (and that doesn't include the heater). Some EVs can lose up to half the range in cold weather - and it takes longer to rapid charge in cold weather as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here