Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
GP’s done a great job, and never a complaint about transfer business. With no top league experience and with players new to him, to make this work so quickly, has been an outstanding effort.

Today had all the hallmarks of a backs to the wall, no attempts performance, in seasons 2017/18 or 2018/19, possession conceded. Today:

View attachment 125717

Norwich’s stats flattered by going all out in the desperate last ten minutes.

I think we are seeing a definite switch in tactics, our possession stats are well down in all matches since the restart. Looks like Potter wants us to play more on the counter.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Can't argue with 7 points since the restart which has included arsenal, Leicester and United. Noone would have confidently predicted that.

Fantastic to suddenly find ourselves all-but safe with a handful of games to spare. I really wasn't expecting it. I was disappointed with the effort and application against united, but in hindsight I think its obvious we kind of threw the game to focus on today. Far from perfect or comfortable today, but a lot of Norwich's games have followed a similar pattern throughout the season.

Very nice to be able to look ahead now though. I'm confident GP knows what he's doing in terms of where and how to improve the squad.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
For all the changes GP has made to our style, our tactical flexibility etc.

It’s notable that we’ve had clean sheets under him. Hughton would have been proud of that result and performance today.

Agreed - today was a very Hughton like performace.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think we are seeing a definite switch in tactics, our possession stats are well down in all matches since the restart. Looks like Potter wants us to play more on the counter.

I agree. Potter is flexible in his thinking, that’s a huge positive.

This season started I think with three CB’s and 2 wing backs, that started to unravel in some matches. Now an orthodox back 4?

Also, we’re not now 100% obsessed in never clearing our lines when pressurised, needs must. Opponents can’t now rely on the VT analysis of us in the build up to a match.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I think he has done amazingly well considering the circumstances. Getting to know the squad and losing strikers early on in the season etc,

Most people will agree that this season the League is stronger than that in Chris Hughton's last season. We have equaled our points tally already and are more entertaining to watch plus the average age is coming down and we have more speed about the team. That said it looks like next season the League will be even tougher with Norwich, Bournemouth and Villa likely to go down , being replaced by Leeds , West Brom and one other.

No doubt we will start the campaign as relegation candidates again. Bring it on :albion2:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think he has done amazingly well considering the circumstances. Getting to know the squad and losing strikers early on in the season etc,

Most people will agree that this season the League is stronger than that in Chris Hughton's last season. We have equaled our points tally already and are more entertaining to watch plus the average age is coming down and we have more speed about the team. That said it looks like next season the League will be even tougher with Norwich, Bournemouth and Villa likely to go down , being replaced by Leeds , West Brom and one other.

No doubt we will start the campaign as relegation candidates again. Bring it on :albion2:

Why do you think Leeds and West Brom plus an unknown team will make the league stronger?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Today was the day that Tony Bloom’s decision to let Chris Hughton go and bring in Graham Potter was finally fully vindicated. Massive improvements this season. A big well done to all involved whilst flicking v’s to the lazy journalists who shamelessly tried to make the Hughton story about race.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Meh, Fence etc . . . . better to watch than CH teams but nothing in it results wise, yet.

We've done the double over Arsenal. We made Tottenham look awful. We're as good as safe with the same number of points a smart season with 6 games to go.

And who knows what might happen with the next two home games!!!👍👍 well probably not a lot, but you never know. Today was a pressure match! The next two nothing is expected or (fingers crossed) needed, so maybe they can just enjoy themselves. And if we get thrashed in both games, I've enjoyed seeing both sides play uperb stuff against us in the past.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Why do you think Leeds and West Brom plus an unknown team will make the league stronger?

I was thinking that. Many thought Fulham would storm the prem relative to most promoted teams. Many thought villa would too. Many people will automatically think Leeds will too. And as for West brom, they were bang average/poor in the prem for quite a while before finally falling through the trap door...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Today was the day that Tony Bloom’s decision to let Chris Hughton go and bring in Graham Potter was finally fully vindicated. Massive improvements this season. A big well done to all involved whilst flicking v’s to the lazy journalists who shamelessly tried to make the Hughton story about race.

This. Better fit for the the club and future strategy, more tactically flexible, multi-dimensional, prepared to play younger players (CH would never play a 19yo defender in a must-win game)......and kept us up (probably comfortably in the end, we’ll see) whilst overseeing a significant change in approach. Bodes well for next season.

PS I still love CH and he did an outstanding job for us.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Can't argue with 7 points since the restart which has included arsenal, Leicester and United. Noone would have confidently predicted that.

45885cc350820fce944c1b4a48621118.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Maybe not a master, but his ability to switch tactics gives us an edge we didn't have last season.

If it wasn't working last season we were ****ed.
Once the players were on the field it was up to them.
Potter has won us points this season by the changes he has made.

It's a major difference.

The way he has coached our players to understand what formation to be in when a specific player has the ball in a certain position and the changes that take place through a phase of play is remarkable. The commentary today talked about it. How we moved from a 4-4-2 to a 4-3-3 and to 4-5-1 with our starting line up, and then a switch in personel allowed us to float from 5-4-1 to 3-4-3 and to a 3-5-2 almost seemlessly. We knew what Norwich would try and ensured that they needed some individual brilliance to pull something off

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I think he's done a great job. Hopefully, after today, he has kept us up while bringing through some younger players and changing tactics. Today wasn't great but we got the job done in the type of game we have often lost in previous seasons e.g. Cardiff home last season.

Looking forward to signing a couple of attacking players to make our chances count more next season but overall very happy so far

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Tactics were spot on, but the manager can’t influence individual decisions and we should really have had more threatening efforts on goal than we did, just tense final passes or not shooting etc. which is understandable given the situation we are in.

I thought things like Mooy & Propper switching in and out from wing to centre midfield was very clever in exploiting that space and not letting Norwich settle.

Hope we can push on to 40+ points because we now kind of have the luxury of the next 5 games being a mini pre-season for next year.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
No one has mentioned the heart ache he has been through this season losing his mum and dad in a short space of time.

Along with that he has had to remain professional and guide a new team/players to safety in the toughest league in the world.

The break has helped him to grieve and get his head straight. This can only be a good thing for next season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The difference between him and Hughton is that he can maintain a mean defence whilst the players believe they can score goals.

Last season with 6 games to we were in an identical situation - playing one of the bottom 3 ( Cardiff). We played Murray up top as lone striker with Gross, Ali J, March, Stephens and Propper and took a 2-0 beating. Today we had 2 up top and real belief, and deserved our win.

Now we are virtually safe, as opposed to sweating on the line approaching the final 3 matches ( assuming we get nowt from Liverpool or Citeh).

Today, Bloom and Barber have been vindicated. Take a bow Graham Potter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here