Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Attacking width

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Also, it's really easy to just accuse anybody questioning this as being negative or knowing nothing about football. Fine. I am not a better manager than Potter.
But, there are lots and lots of more experienced and more successful managers around and almost all of them know their best team and formation. Even Ranieri, one of the few (relatively) successful unpredictable managers had his greatest success at Leicester and I can reel off that team and formation off the top of my head.

It tends to be the default response from many posters, if someone shares a different view they’ll be labelled negative, a moaner, thinking you know better than the manager, pretty much anything other than just having a different opinion.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Surely it would be beneficial to have a base formation, a go to side with a well rehearsed set of players that could be used in games where we’re going to see little of the ball and spend the majority of the game on the back foot. Last night we had young players playing in unorthodox positions against a team of bang in form internationals, just seemed a tad naive to me.

Look, I'm not saying Potter's approach, or what I take to be his approach, is correct. I was merely stating that I don't think he has a go-to best XI for each and every game.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Look, I'm not saying Potter's approach, or what I take to be his approach, is correct. I was merely stating that I don't think he has a go-to best XI for each and every game.

I understand that, and nobody could disagree that Potter doesn’t have a go-to best XI, you could peruse most PL squads and have a good stab at their best XI, but for our own team? Not a chance.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I think it's worth watching this. Although a different formation, it quite effectively describes what Potter tactically is looking to do without wingers. Also the pressing high and central encourages longer balls out to the flanks. Having someone tall i.e. Burn, helps in this situation.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Also the pressing high and central encourages longer balls out to the flanks.

Which reminds me. We're one of the PL's pressiest sides...

Screenshot 2020-07-01 at 11.44.33.png

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think it's worth watching this. Although a different formation, it quite effectively describes what Potter tactically is looking to do without wingers. Also the pressing high and central encourages longer balls out to the flanks. Having someone tall i.e. Burn, helps in this situation.

Thanks for posting. I did watch that last summer, which means in my case I've forgotten every word. It's helpful to revisit these things every now and again.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
This isn’t meant as a slight against Potter, but I believe he still has no idea what his best XI is.

I don’t think you get Potter’s philosophy.

There isn’t a set best team and preferred formation, there’s multiple system and set ups and line ups opposition dependent. Eg, compare the 70% dominate possession style to the set up vs Arsenal.

Even capable now of fluidly switching mid game.

It won’t always work of course. As last night showed.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Also worth noting how different our style has been since the break compared to especially the first half of the season.

I quite the Spanish dominating possession style, but possibly GP feels that’s not possible against the teams we’ve played lately.

I wonder if we’ll switch back to our possession based game for Norwich?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I don’t think you get Potter’s philosophy.

There isn’t a set best team and preferred formation, there’s multiple system and set ups and line ups opposition dependent. Eg, compare the 70% dominate possession style to the set up vs Arsenal.

Even capable now of fluidly switching mid game.

It won’t always work of course. As last night showed.

I fully understand his philosophy, but as I’ve already posted in this thread, I would have thought by now there might be some kind of default team for when we’re really going to be up against it. I can see fully support the idea of springing traps and surprises against certain teams, but I just found last night very bizarre. Man Utd were always going to dominate possession but I feel like some strange selections helped them out.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Man U played the same team and formation as their previous league game? The cup game was a run out of 2nd fiddlers.

Don't imagine I can be persuaded by your so-called facts.

:facepalm:

:thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This reads a bit like some of the snide articles you can find in some of the broadsheets, definitely an air of “I see football better than you”.

Yes, perhaps.

I suspect Potter knows football better than we do, thich was my main point.

Oh, alright. You win.

Potter OUT!!!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It tends to be the default response from many posters, if someone shares a different view they’ll be labelled negative, a moaner, thinking you know better than the manager, pretty much anything other than just having a different opinion.

Fair enough.

But I disagree. So, my opinion isn't snide. It is my opinion which, according to your logic, I have a right to express.

Anyway, enough already. I'm out.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Let’s be honest the Manchester United that turned up last night would have beaten us convincingly however we set up. Yes GP got it wrong but I really believe we’d be saying the same however we set up. We were and would have been chasing shadows, unfortunate to be caught by a team playing at full strength with so much confidence. Their players were better than ours in every position. I take no solace from the second half performance, United had taken their foot off the pedal and would have ramped it up again if we had scored or looked like we might turn it around

Lambs to the slaughter

Am I despondent? Nah We have a couple of games left where we should have enough. Expecting a hiding from City and Liverpool. Norwich is a must win game imo if we don’t want a finger biting end to the season.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yes, perhaps.

I suspect Potter knows football better than we do, thich was my main point.

Oh, alright. You win.

Potter OUT!!!!

I’ve never ever called for “Potter OUT!!!!” but great point :thumbsup:

Yes, Potter does know better than all of us, but that doesn’t mean that we, as fans of this club, cannot hold discussions about tactics, formation and selections.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think one of Potter's skills is responding to the tactics and formation of the opposition when they are on top. He sees what they are doing, where we are struggling, works it out and counters it with changes at half-time or second-half subs. We've had several excellent comebacks against good teams this season.

His initial team selections also perhaps seem mainly predicated on what the opposition will do, although as this is partly guesswork and can't take into account individual players off-days, it seems less successful. Against Leicester the formation worked a treat, far less so last night And that goes to the wider point, that he rarely seems to set out a team to play our game, regardless of what the opposition do; nor does he seem to change things to see out games in the second half when we are on top and a goal up, and we've seen a lot of second half equalisers conceded.

So perhaps a bit more focus on our game rather than nullifying the opposition, and a willingness to shut up shop when we're 1-0 up would be things I'd like to see more of. But so far in his first go at the premier league, not bad at all

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Let’s be honest the Manchester United that turned up last night would have beaten us convincingly however we set up. Yes GP got it wrong but I really believe we’d be saying the same however we set up. We were and would have been chasing shadows, unfortunate to be caught by a team playing at full strength with so much confidence. Their players were better than ours in every position. I take no solace from the second half performance, United had taken their foot off the pedal and would have ramped it up again if we had scored or looked like we might turn it around

Lambs to the slaughter

Am I despondent? Nah We have a couple of games left where we should have enough. Expecting a hiding from City and Liverpool. Norwich is a must win game imo if we don’t want a finger biting end to the season.

No they wouldn’t!
Utd did play well, but goodness me we were dire in that first half. GP did get it wrong but the players did not help him at all.

We looked lethargic, a number did not look sharp and I only hope that was the jolt we need for Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here