Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jesse Lingard

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Watching Lingard in 2014 from the West Upper it was clear he had bags of potential but was sometimes on a different wavelength to the Championship players around him. He made a lot of intelligent runs, only for those around him to be unable to either see or play the pass. It was no suprise to me when he went on to play for England at full level (having already represented them at Under 17 and 21 - you don't get lucky three times).

After a bit of this he did look frustrated but Oscar's style was much about possession, just as Potter's is. With Stephens (and Bruno on the coaching staff) the only players left from those days, our possession style played by PL class players may well suit him a lot more. Ashworth will know him and Potter *may* want to fix him.

I'd certainly be up for taking him on loan, providing part of his wages were covered by United and there was an option to review the deal at some point. I'm not sure one of our Premier League rivals would agree to all that for a player who would then go out of contract, however.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was fairly underwhelmed from his first spell here, and although he's developed and gained a lot of experience since then, he looks to me like someone who's been on a downward slope for a couple of years now. His goals/assists have completely fallen off a cliff for Man Utd, so I have my doubts he'd turn that round at BHA. I'd question his motivation dropping down to the likes of us, I think he'd think he was doing us a favour.

Thankfully he's still got his JLINGZ fashion label to fall back on.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Jesse Lingard is the worst "footballer" ever to play for England. Even Michael Ricketts was effective at what he did. Lingard is a nothing "footballer" who has no future in the game.

:lolol::lolol: 1200+ players have represented England. He’s not even in the bottom half of that list! Nice try though.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Me too, not a fan, however if Potter sees him as his type of player I’m not averse

Forever be grateful to him...for denying Palace a trophy. But not really for his contribution on loan at the Amex; nor in an England shirt if honest. He’s one of those players I just don’t get or understand why they’re subject to big money moves and/or play for top sides. Nothing against the lad, but it’s a no from me also.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-29 at 13.34.23.jpeg

:d

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Daniel Storey is excellent and does know his stuff so could be something in this. Ashworth would have worked closely with him, Lingard was a very important part of the England squad in 2018, and obviously he enjoyed his time here before.

He is also exactly the type of player we need, a quick, mobile and technically decent link between the midfield and attack.

But I am astonished about the negativity around him on here, he’d be a fantastic signing for us. I think a reality check is needed about the players we have that are obviously seen through blue and white tints, he is a vast upgrade on our current squad. He is a better, and in some cases much better player than any of the players we have who play in similar positions including Gross, Mooy, March, Ali J and Izquierdo.

All premier league sides outside of the top 7/8 would want him.

I recall Daniel Storey writing about clubs that pay the living wage to staff and claiming that we didn't even though we did and do. So not that excellent.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
At his best he's good at transitioning from midfielder to attacker, something we've been really missing and its easy to forget Ashworth does carry some weight in top circles. Saying all of that he's also a bit of a pilchard, Lingard not Ashworth.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Surprised so many are saying no. Only 2 years ago he was shining at the World Cup for England! Would be a low fee considering his contract and he’d naturally have to accept dropping wages. Yes he’s been pretty bad this season but Potter could get him back. Would be a risk worth taking for me and a big yes! Come on we’re not Man Utd or Leeds we’re Brighton...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Tony Bloom doesn’t pay £100k per week plus wages.

This would also mean that Dunk, Stephens, Gross, Propper, Jahanbakhsh and Propper would get £40k per week pay rises.

On wages alone, with employers national insurance, adding £20m to our annual cost base and losses.

On that basis, Lingard won’t be joining us.

He his next club, has CP, Everton, West Ham or Villa written all over it. Each have no interest in controlling costs or their top wages.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Although he's not had the best couple of years, I'm not sure that being bad for Man U during that period is a very reliable factor on which to judge a player. You could accuse pretty much their whole squad of struggling for form at some point during that time and I reckon that we may have taken a punt on Pogba in the hope that it was the situation rather then the player that was lacking. If our management team were to be of the view that he still has talent and hunger, who would we be to argue the toss?. Maybe he hasn't scored enough goals during his career, but these things are relative. Even without a league goal this year, over the three seasons we've been in the Premier League, he has managed more goals than anyone who has played in our midfield.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

This would also mean that Dunk, Stephens, Gross, Propper, Jahanbakhsh and Propper would get £40k per week pay rises.

On wages alone, with employers national insurance, adding £20m to our annual cost base and losses.

He his next club, has CP, Everton, West Ham or Villa written all over it. Each have no interest in controlling costs or their top wages.

Propper's agent has done him proud there.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Watching Lingard in 2014 from the West Upper it was clear he had bags of potential but was sometimes on a different wavelength to the Championship players around him. He made a lot of intelligent runs, only for those around him to be unable to either see or play the pass. It was no suprise to me when he went on to play for England at full level (having already represented them at Under 17 and 21 - you don't get lucky three times).

After a bit of this he did look frustrated but Oscar's style was much about possession, just as Potter's is. With Stephens (and Bruno on the coaching staff) the only players left from those days, our possession style played by PL class players may well suit him a lot more. Ashworth will know him and Potter *may* want to fix him.

I'd certainly be up for taking him on loan, providing part of his wages were covered by United and there was an option to review the deal at some point. I'm not sure one of our Premier League rivals would agree to all that for a player who would then go out of contract, however.

Roughly what I was thinking. A loan deal where we're only paying the equivalent of what we pay our other top earners and he'd be worth having to see if Potter can get him firing. As others have said though, there will be other clubs prepared to spunk a lot more on wages for him than we will (not Villa though, they'll be in the Championship). He did alright when he was with us before - never went all Billy Bigbollocks on us at the time and put a decent shift in. Seeing him link up with Ali Mac and Maupay would be interesting.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Where are the details of the private contracts of players, bored wouldn't mind a look?

Thing is no one really knows the details it's all guess work

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Where are the details of the private contracts of players, bored wouldn't mind a look?

Thing is no one really knows the details it's all guess work

It was never me who mentioned this arrangement. Almost every time contracts and wages have been discussed on NSC over the last 2 plus years, the ITK posters, there seems to be agreement that Dunk and others get contract parity where a new player signs for us on bigger money. Hopefully they’ll see these posts and join the discussion.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Roughly what I was thinking. A loan deal where we're only paying the equivalent of what we pay our other top earners and he'd be worth having to see if Potter can get him firing. As others have said though, there will be other clubs prepared to spunk a lot more on wages for him than we will (not Villa though, they'll be in the Championship). He did alright when he was with us before - never went all Billy Bigbollocks on us at the time and put a decent shift in. Seeing him link up with Ali Mac and Maupay would be interesting.

He can follow the well trodden path of P.Neville, T.Howard, Schneiderlin, Cleverley, D.Gibson and join this lot.

27F32634-3838-40C5-81C9-137C25356FB6.png

He gets to stay in his Cheshire mansion with his family, and near his mate Rashford.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
would be a fairly risky, expensive signing and I'm not sure for how much reward as I don't think he's ever played to his full potential. I don't rate him much and he wouldn't be someone I would pick. then again I'm not a professional football manager with a master's degree. and I would welcome him with open arms purely for scoring against palace in the fa cup final

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It was never me who mentioned this arrangement. Almost every time contracts and wages have been discussed on NSC over the last 2 plus years, the ITK posters, there seems to be agreement that Dunk and others get contract parity where a new player signs for us on bigger money. Hopefully they’ll see these posts and join the discussion.

Yes I know it's often mentioned but ITK posters tend to drink too much with people down the pub (that's why there's been very little ITK stuff for months)

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Not sure I have forgiven him for his OTT sarcastic celebration at our consolation goal at Derby in the play off yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here