Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] The Bear Pit

Do you think The Bear Pit is a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 165 72.7%
  • Neutral

Votes: 26 11.5%
  • No

Votes: 36 15.9%

• Total voters

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Voted Yes. Would rather it was just 'The Big Board' for all things football and 'The Bear Pit" for everything else.

Or what about colour coding. Red threads are Bear Pit and Blue threads are Football.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Voted Yes. Would rather it was just 'The Big Board' for all things football and 'The Bear Pit" for everything else.

Or what about colour coding. Red threads are Bear Pit and Blue threads are Football.
That would be a shame as I like the non football threads on the Big Board, and learn some things from them.

Not a chance I'll look at anything in the Poison Pit going forward, so theose threads would be lost to me.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
That would be a shame as I like the non football threads on the Big Board, and learn some things from them.

Not a chance I'll look at anything in the Poison Pit going forward, so theose threads would be lost to me.

But you weren't going to learn anything from those threads other than who is a racist, capitalist pig and who is a pinko, communist scumbag.

The point is, those threads are lost, and that's a good thing. Nobody changes their politics because of someone else's better informed opinion, never mind someone's ill-informed, alcohol-aided rant.

Good riddance to those threads and those people.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
But you weren't going to learn anything from those threads other than who is a racist, capitalist pig and who is a pinko, communist scumbag.

The point is, those threads are lost, and that's a good thing. Nobody changes their politics because of someone else's better informed opinion, never mind someone's ill-informed, alcohol-aided rant.

Eh ?

I think you have misread my post.

I was saying I learn from some of the non football posts - not the ones already in the bear pit - and it would be a shame to move everything non football into the bear pit, as there is not a chance now that I'll ever open that poisonous pit of a sub forum.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I think some stuff gets moved prematurely to the ‘pit’ Bozza did something earlier this afternoon, banned a user from a thread for attempting to derail it, this was an excellent piece of moderation.
Yesterday I started a thread about the new Prime ministerial jet, I am a keen follower of military aviation, as are a lot of other posters, immediately a moderator changed the thread title and there was a pile on and it ended up in ‘the pit’ seems a shame that some Mods intervene excellently,let the thread flow and encourage debate, some are a tad more churlish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne

I've learnt SO much on this board on a myriad of subjects and find it a great sauce of info on local things too! I doubt the Mods would move something which could be helpful for members and readers to the Bear Pit.

I think any subject where people have strong views one way or the other should be thrown in the bear pit. Let these people gnash their teeth, bash their keyboard like that drummer off the muppet show, and generally insult each other in peace. I have my own views on many things, but I never try and force them upon others.

So, I voted yes. The Bear Pit can contain the anger, vitriol and finger pointing - and all that stuff can feck off out of my eyesight :thumbsup:

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Its the best move on here for ages - generally stay out of the politics threads but having read a few now and then know who thinks what and fact that no one will ever change their views so they can all repeat them forever more in this new sub forum

Main forum back to the football and all sorts of obscure general and local knowledge stuff for which this place has always been very good

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think it's working brilliantly.

The fishing threads are being picked up and dumped over there nice and efficiently, while the instigators can continue to whine on in the Bear pit about how their intentions have been misconstrued. Nice friendly Big Board and entertainment in the Bear Pit for anyone who can be bothered :lolol:

Everyone's a winner :thumbsup:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Eh ?

I think you have misread my post.

I was saying I learn from some of the non football posts - not the ones already in the bear pit - and it would be a shame to move everything non football into the bear pit, as there is not a chance now that I'll ever open that poisonous pit of a sub forum.

I see where you're coming from, but once where there used to be some enjoyable reasoned debate on NSC there is now just polarised division. That's not NSC's fault, it's just society. I'd quite like to come here and see past all that and focus on football nonsense. It would keep me sane.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

You mean people with an attitude of, "I'm not arguing. I'm just explaining why I'm right"?

:)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Crikey, I took a look in there last night.

It's descended into savagery. I guess that's what happens when the hinterlands are left lawless and unattended. A wonderful study in social anthropology.

I used to think of NSC as a stepping stone to Argus Comments for some. Think I was wrong.

Why does anyone contribute and what do they get from it ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
1,119 on the Main Board, versus:

C7324752-8642-446A-846E-77DAF741B97F.png

Is that a record low?

A tiny audience for grandstanding.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
NSC has undergone a golden renaissance since that sub forum was created.

Pretty much no need now to cancel posters onto the ignore list.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
As someone who dipped in occasionally and got frustrated by it all because of the intransigence of most people on there, I’m happy that it is in a different place where I have to make an effort to go there. Nobody is going to change anybody else’s mind.

It’s almost like having a ready made ignore list in some ways, but some of those on there I don’t want to ignore

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I see where you're coming from, but once where there used to be some enjoyable reasoned debate on NSC there is now just polarised division. That's not NSC's fault, it's just society. I'd quite like to come here and see past all that and focus on football nonsense. It would keep me sane.

Polarised division reflecting a polarised society is exactly it. It’s bad enough being in the real world at the moment.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I have not once visited the Bear Pit since it's conception and opening, and the General Forums have been such a better place without all the bollocks the Bear Pit contains.

I can only liken it to having screaming and crying kids running around all day... :catfight: : then that lovely calmness when they've pissed off to bed and gone to sleep. :drink:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I was against it at the start, but it has had a positive effect on my enjoyment of nsc and i feel im better for not getting drawn into that merry go round of manure. I have also realised after a quick visit that there are some posters i just dont see any more because all they did was post shit on political threads. I will qualify my praise as i think it is partly a failure of moderation that some topics cant be discussed without the usual suspects ruining it for everyone

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here