Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Advice needed: Buying a drill

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I wouldn't spend too much if you are only using it for DIY, I think someone else has already suggested Erbauer from Screwfix, I've got a big SDS drill and a mult cutter in this range and both are very good.
I have got 2 DeWalt 18v combi cordless drills which are very good, I have got 2 because it saves changing drill bits when I'm working.

I also have got a Bosch SDS corded drill which I use to drill into hard brickwork, I then use a Bosch 10.8 cordless screwdriver for the fixings.
You may struggle to drill into really hard brickwork with a combi

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wouldn't spend too much if you are only using it for DIY, I think someone else has already suggested Erbauer from Screwfix, I've got a big SDS drill and a mult cutter in this range and both are very good.
I have got 2 DeWalt 18v combi cordless drills which are very good, I have got 2 because it saves changing drill bits when I'm working.

I also have got a Bosch SDS corded drill which I use to drill into hard brickwork, I then use a Bosch 10.8 cordless screwdriver for the fixings.

Shifting all 6 drills/cutters, plus all your other kit, as well as the regulation daily trip to the suppliers (a.k.a. cafe) before you’re ready to start plumbing at 11am. What a day.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
From a trade persepctive., but if it's good for us it's good for DIY abuse and more..

I bought into Makita 18V Li-ion over 10 year ago, and yes you're then tied to their kit, it's very good. Batteries used to pack up early but that's now sorted and they last for ages if you dont run them down to zero.

Screwfix have a deal on Makita twin packs and you can buy set with drill/driver and impact driver, 2 batteries, charger all in a case for just under £200

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Another here for the Ryobi One+ kit, I’ve now got a collection of their stuff, and my brushless drill with hammer and as a driver is a great bit of kit.

Ryobi R18PDBL-0 ONE+ Cordless Brushless Percussion Drill (Body Only), 18 V https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014089DHS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ulwZEbHN32A7C

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
From a trade persepctive., but if it's good for us it's good for DIY abuse and more..

I bought into Makita 18V Li-ion over 10 year ago, and yes you're then tied to their kit, it's very good. Batteries used to pack up early but that's now sorted and they last for ages if you dont run them down to zero.

Screwfix have a deal on Makita twin packs and you can buy set with drill/driver and impact driver, 2 batteries, charger all in a case for just under £200

I'll second this - More importantly though, if you plan to expand your arsenal, stick to 1 brand of 18v tools, it will save you a fortune in batteries. That said, an impact driver is fantastic addition BUT strongly advise you start with a 10.8v driver - Use an 18v without a bit of practice and it'll be carnage, wrecked screws, bits and anything you maybe trying to drill in to. Oh and don't use an impact driver to put a shelf up :)

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I'll second this - More importantly though, if you plan to expand your arsenal, stick to 1 brand of 18v tools, it will save you a fortune in batteries. That said, an impact driver is fantastic addition BUT strongly advise you start with a 10.8v driver - Use an 18v without a bit of practice and it'll be carnage, wrecked screws, bits and anything you maybe trying to drill in to. Oh and don't use an impact driver to put a shelf up :)

I just love carpenter's who insist upon using an impact to fit plasterboards screws and end up destroying most of the board.. :rolleyes:

Just like [MENTION=28056]bn9 bha[/MENTION] @bn9_bha bit of a tool junkie, got cordless sds, mains sds, core dill, angle drill and the Makita 10.8v dual set too, which are good for getting inside kitchen units, but IMO no good for drilling 8mm into walls as they have no hammer action.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I just love carpenter's who insist upon using an impact to fit plasterboards screws and end up destroying most of the board.. :rolleyes:

Just like [MENTION=28056]bn9 bha[/MENTION] @bn9_bha bit of a tool junkie, got cordless sds, mains sds, core dill, angle drill and the Makita 10.8v dual set too, which are good for getting inside kitchen units, but IMO no good for drilling 8mm into walls as they have no hammer action.

One tool I haven't got is an impact driver, not really sure what I would use one for, I'm happy with multiple cordless drills and screwdrivers. :cool::wink:

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
One tool I haven't got is an impact driver, not really sure what I would use one for, I'm happy with multiple cordless drills and screwdrivers. :cool::wink:

Impact for 5/6x100's into timber or hex bolts to hang Boiler brackets to walls.

Took the 'Financial Controller' (AKA The Long Haired General..) to a trade fair at Sandown racecourse once.. Never again..

'But that's nearly a holiday for those drills.. why do you need three different drills for..' :wozza:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
i got a hitachi about 4 years ago from screwfix. came with 2 batteries which hold charge well. it cost me £99 but think it had a big discount. i think hitachi are re-branded .

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I like the DeWalt stuff, initially bought their impact wrench for use on the car and ended up getting their combi drill and impact driver. Absolutely love the driver and is the tool I've used the most, any excuse to whip it out. Flat pack furniture is a breeze with it.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Awesome, what a silly thing to do, textbook how not to use an impact!

Clearly I need to get myself a core drill and an angle drill :) I find the 10.8v really useful, smaller and lighter, just handy.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

I have the Erbauer cordless, combi drill and planer, share the battery.

Also have a big FO corded SDS hammer drill for when the going gets tough.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I have the Erbauer cordless, combi drill and planer, share the battery.

Also have a big FO corded SDS hammer drill for when the going gets tough.

I had to think what FO was for a moment :lolol: I thought it was a brand I hadn't heard of.

D

Deleted member 2719

Looking for a bit of advice/recommendations from the good folk of NSC; I'm after a cordless drill for a bit of home diy - I've not needed one before and the range of options seems to be pretty much infinite, so was wondering if anyone could recommend what's actually needed?

It will just be used for fairly small jobs initially (e.g. putting some shelving into the walls) so don't need anything super powerful, but equally would like some thing decent that will last, and with a bit of headroom for when my ambitions expand! Assuming a combi-drill would be the best option, and with a budget in the £100-£200 bracket, I was looking at the Bosch 'Universal Impact' as it seems to tick a lot of boxes in terms of functionality, price and the range of other equipment which shares the same battery (I realise that, whichever one I go with, I'll then be locked into that brand to some extent).

However, its stated max torque is 30Nm, which seems a bit low compared to others. Has anyone got one of these and able to give an honest assessment?

How much torque do you you really need?

Milwaukee, has been great for me I have bought their drills, polishers, saws, lights, blowers etc and they have all been top-notch.

With this range, you will have plenty of headroom and they will be about for years, they think of most things and apply them well.

All of these were purchased through https://www.alanwadkinstoolstore.co.uk/milwaukee-m39

Seem a good company.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Combi drill /screwdriver
Makita or Dewalt
As stated by the OP
The hammer option enables you to drill
Into brick /masonry
With out checking the exact model
Steer clear of the impact guns
As they don't have the clutch settings
That Combi drills do
If your putting up shelves per say
You can overtighten with the impact

I tried reading that in the voice of Pam Ayres and, yes, yes it works.

Love they way you get 'OP' to rhyme with 'masonry'. :rolleyes::cheers:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I've never owned or used an electric drill in all my 50+ years and don't intend to. Once borrowed an electric screwdriver from a mate com it was carnage!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Been thinking about treating myself to a cordless kit Screenshot_20200530-073306_Chrome.jpg

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here