Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion v Daily Mail FIGHT!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I admit to regularly visiting the Daily Fail website - but only to read Martin Samuel, who is consistently one of the best sports columnists out there IMO. Even then its an ad-infested video-festooned clickbait NIGHTMARE of a site to visit, but its worth it (just about) for his input, I've been reading him for years since he was at The Times. Shame he writes for such a shitty rag now. The rest of it is utter, utter BILGE.

They've always had some weird obsession with papping players in their cars coming and going from training. Why, I have never had the slightest idea. Never been able to work that one out. Imagine that being your actual job - hanging around outside the gates of a PL training ground all morning, just to snatch a glassy reflective shot of Granit Xhaka coming and going in his Porsche Cayenne.

The Fail represents the ultimate disconnect between sports pages and front end. Say what you like about it (and of course we do and will continue to), the Mail has invested decent money in good writers for sport, and Samuel, Ian Ladyman and Matt Barlow are among the best in the business. And in Ian Herbert they have a rising star, a possible successor to Paul Hayward, which is something I don't say lightly.

Herbs went over from the Independent, as did the former Indy sports editor and his deputy, along with the sports desk manager, which is weird shift even if it only meant moving to a different office in the same building (and wearing a suit to work instead of a t-shirt and tracksuit bottoms).

The Mail on Sunday (where the piece appeared) is a slightly different beast, with different editors. That could explain the Joe Bernstein article. Mail Online is even more of a rogue operation, staffed by kids who are out to make names for themselves.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Fail represents the ultimate disconnect between sports pages and front end. Say what you like about it (and of course we do and will continue to), the Mail has invested decent money in good writers for sport, and Samuel, Ian Ladyman and Matt Barlow are among the best in the business. And in Ian Herbert they have a rising star, a possible successor to Paul Hayward, which is something I don't say lightly.

Herbs went over from the Independent, as did the former Indy sports editor and his deputy, along with the sports desk manager, which is weird shift even if it only meant moving to a different office in the same building (and wearing a suit to work instead of a t-shirt and tracksuit bottoms).

The Mail on Sunday (where the piece appeared) is a slightly different beast, with different editors. That could explain the Joe Bernstein article. Mail Online is even more of a rogue operation, staffed by kids who are out to make names for themselves.

Thats what grates. In terms of sports writers, the Fail has snaffled some true excellence (obviously when you ignore the tedious clickbate arriving-at-training etc bollocks). But every time I go there to read them, I feel like I need a shower afterwards. Certainly my laptop does, in a digital non-watery sense.

How is Martin anyway, decent bloke ? I'm sure your pens have crossed over the years.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
Thats what grates. In terms of sports writers, the Fail has snaffled some true excellence (obviously when you ignore the tedious clickbate arriving-at-training etc bollocks). But every time I go there to read them, I feel like I need a shower afterwards. Certainly my laptop does, in a digital non-watery sense.

How is Martin anyway, decent bloke ? I'm sure your pens have crossed over the years.

He’s a good writer but some of his recent stuff has been very strange. Defence of Manchester City’s position in the UEFA ban seemed odd. Could it be anything to do with the football club where his son works and the super yacht to which he was invited?

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Probably, but any apology will be in a tiny font size, buried in the bottom corner of a page somewhere........................so a bit pointless

I guess, and all those people with a dislike for Brighton, will just ignore it. Just like ignoring the fact most teams voted against neutral venues, and ignoring a unanimous vote to restart training last week.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Is that where Darren Grimes is now?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I know the feeling about the Mail. I count many of their football writers as friends and I rationalise not having to wash after shaking hands with them by remembering that there are only so many jobs for football writers, and not everyone can work for a paper whose political views they agree with. Look at the mismatch between the tweets of certain journos and the papers they write for as proof of that!

Martin is okay, actually. I was a little disappointed when he turned the Albion website gig down last season when I was looking for someone to talk about supporting West Ham, his reasons being that he didn't want people being reminded about his club loyalties. I thought that was a little odd because most writers are fairly transparent about who they support, but I don't think he was being a Billy Bigtime about it.

I'm in awe of all the strands he is able to pull together for his columns, or at least I was. I think the Fail demands too much of him although for the money he's on I suppose they're entitled. When he was doing a long column for the Times every Wednesday and his weekend stuff for the Screws was when he was at his best, I thought.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

Yes the Mail on Sunday sports pages are utter garbage and a great example of lazy journalism - I could write most of what they churn out from my armchair.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here