Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] NSC Quiz- Summer Championships

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
[MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] - I'll quite happily ban anyone who gets Q15 wrong, as they clearly have no place on this board.

:wink:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
[MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] - I'll quite happily ban anyone who gets Q15 wrong, as they clearly have no place on this board.

:wink:

Yes. It was designed for everyone to finish the quiz on a positive note.

Although this is not a certainty...

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
[MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] You know I'm not one to complain, but regarding Q5 why was 1982 deemed a correct answer when Villa won the league in 1981? Do teams who actually got 1981 deserve an extra point?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
[MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] You know I'm not one to complain, but regarding Q5 why was 1982 deemed a correct answer when Villa won the league in 1981? Do teams who actually got 1981 deserve an extra point?

If you can work it out I'll let you have another ribbon for your trophy.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
If you can work it out I'll let you have another ribbon for your trophy.

I'd be interested to know the BREAKDOWN of how many people guessed 1981 and how many 1982. I hope there has not been any FAVOURITISM at play here.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'd be interested to know the BREAKDOWN of how many people guessed 1981 and how many 1982. I hope there has not been any FAVOURITISM at play here.

The breakdown seems to be directly dependent, and attributed to, how close their scores were to you in the Merit League. [MENTION=2928]PILTDOWN MAN[/MENTION] guessed 1965 but I decided it was close enough.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The breakdown seems to be directly dependent, and attributed to, how close their scores were to you in the Merit League. [MENTION=2928]PILTDOWN MAN[/MENTION] guessed 1965 but I decided it was close enough.

I suspected as much. Someone is going to end up in Piltdown POND if this continues.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I suspected as much. Someone is going to end up in Piltdown POND if this continues.

Fortunately I no longer live in Piltdown. I used live up, Down Street. We had a smallholding, when we come to sell the buyer's solicitor raised the question about an area in one of our fields being of archaeological significance. It transpired it was where Piltdown Man was "planted". It had also been a site of a long gone settlement. We ended up having to get a report done by a professor from Sussex Uni. to satisfy the buyer.

Hence why I'm Piltdown Man. I now live near Hurst Green/Robertsbridge..

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I put 1981 because I know Villa won the European Cup in 1982 :wink:

Same logic here, and in truth that is the CORRECT answer.

He’s allowed 1982 as a LITERAL technicality - ie Villa were ‘still’ Champions in early 1982 (until that next season ended)

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Fortunately I no longer live in Piltdown. I used live up, Down Street. We had a smallholding, when we come to sell the buyer's solicitor raised the question about an area in one of our fields being of archaeological significance. It transpired it was where Piltdown Man was "planted". It had also been a site of a long gone settlement. We ended up having to get a report done by a professor from Sussex Uni. to satisfy the buyer.

Hence why I'm Piltdown Man. I now live near Hurst Green/Robertsbridge..

I was brought up in Uckfield, so I'm very familiar with the Piltdown environs. The deputy head at my school ran the Piltdown Man pub for a while I think. As a Hilaire Belloc fan (judging by your sig), you must know The Four Men - about an epic pub crawl across Sussex starting in Robertsbridge.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
He’s allowed 1982 as a LITERAL technicality - ie Villa were ‘still’ Champions in early 1982 (until that next season ended)

That sounds like a very LIBERAL interpretation of the rules. A bit like being told to stay at home, then driving 260 miles to find a babysitter.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That sounds like a very LIBERAL interpretation of the rules. A bit like being told to stay at home, then driving 260 miles to find a babysitter.

I’m inclined to agree, but can see the argument, he’s trying to avoid! The question did read “in which year were Villa last champions”. Technically they were currently ‘the champions’ most recently, in the first months of 1982...

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

In line with government policy, as I make the RULES it is therefore my right to INTERPRET them as I CHOOSE.
[MENTION=2928]PILTDOWN MAN[/MENTION] chose 1965 as he felt it was a better option and 1981 was being overused by others.

As Boris Johnson said yesterday-'He followed the instincts of every quizzer - and I do not mark him down for that'.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I’m inclined to agree, but can see the argument, he’s trying to avoid! The question did read “in which year were Villa last champions”. Technically they were currently ‘the champions’ most recently, in the first months of 1982...

The additional accepted answer came as a result of the following query from a competitor in the knockout stages.

'Are you looking for the year when they were declared champions upon winning the league, or the following year, as they were still technically champions until another team won it ?'

There were a few who answered 1982 so I decided to accept both answers.

I suppose it's a bit like winning a car parking appeal do to unclear signage, even though you should have known anyway.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here