Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Cancelled Flights/Holiday Refunds

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
How have people got on with refunds against cancellations?

What would be useful here is a list of those who were quick to refund and simple to deal with

For me AirBnB were stars clear communication simple process and Gatwick Parking were also good.

Who is dragging their feet, making it difficult and showing no signs of budging
Norwegian, where I am due a refund for Easter and sadly also have summer flights booked with them, is looking tricky.

Any special tactics that have worked?

Any joy with travel insurance refunds or via credit card refunds

Please refrain from blow by blow accounts, but anything you can share that will help others get their money back would be most welcome.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
If you are going anywhere that requires a visa - many of the embassies will not issue visas at the moment, which might help justify cancelling plans.

Just going to add here National Trust - we took out a family membership for this year, and planned to visit as many places as we could. They have been shut for 6 weeks or so but are not extending membership dates or giving refunds, unless you pay by direct debit.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Had a return trip with Eurotunnel booked in June, which was booked in November. I was told I could transfer it to any trip up to November. I commented, it doesn’t pay to book early!
I can now use a code up to 26th April 2021 to book another return, just paying any difference in price, so yes a credit, but will be used.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
No legislation has changed so for ATOL/ABTA holidays you are entitled to a full refund within 14days.

Call. Point out your rights. Reiterate your rights. Don't be fobbed off with credit notes, etc.

Having said that, should have flown on Friday to Morocco with TUI and they are offering 20% off if you take a credit note and book within 28 days. Same hotel, same stay at start of November (so weather pretty much the same) comes in at the same price so will probably take that (subject to checking insurance cover... Can see still being in lockdown wouldn't be 'unforeseen' and therefore no cancellation cover).

Have considered gambling on the holiday companies being desperate in their pricing for a while after lockdowns are lifted and taking a refund now to pay for a heavily discounted holiday later.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Easyjet refunded a Krakow trip over Easter as they naturally had to cancel, last part (initial deposit) was refunded the day after we would have got back.

Easyjet flights to Portugal end of \\May have re-booked at no extra charge to September as a wedding has been moved.

Just paid final deposit to TUI for two weeks in Mexico going late July - not hopeful it will happen........

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Ryanair have fobbed everyone off with vouchers rather than cash refunds. Their phone lines cut off and their bots stay silent if you try to get in touch with them.

BHAboi

Jan 26, 2009
BHA
Booked a return flight to Australia next month with Emirates who have obviously cancelled the flights. However booked through Traveltrolley who have said they will be issuing a credit note which has yet to appear! Tbh will take a credit note as will go within a couple of months of things getting back to normal just as long as I do get it!

As I booked using my credit card am I entitled to try that route to get the cash back does anyone know?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
DFDS ferry from Newhaven - Dieppe and 2 x Gites through Home and Away all very straightforward but I took the vouchers as I feel a need to support business where possible throughout this

BA very quick and simple. Didn't take vouchers as large party booking and will be difficult to reorganize

Have a cruise in September that we don't want to go on (if indeed it runs, which I doubt) but the balance is due in 6 weeks. My mate says if I don't pay the balance I'll lose my deposit, so should pay and when they cancel I'll get all the £'s back. Can anyone itk help me out with that one?

Hereford Gull

Jan 21, 2004
Margaret River WA
Booked a return flight to Australia next month with Emirates who have obviously cancelled the flights. However booked through Traveltrolley who have said they will be issuing a credit note which has yet to appear! Tbh will take a credit note as will go within a couple of months of things getting back to normal just as long as I do get it!

As I booked using my credit card am I entitled to try that route to get the cash back does anyone know?

Australian borders are likely to stay closed for the rest of this year imo

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I've no idea yet. I have flights booked to Italy in August, booked them way back in January as I wanted to have something to look forward to ugh! Although I'm not holding out much hope of the trip happening I will leave them booked until much nearer the time and see what the quarantine/travel advisories are then, as that should have some bearing on how forthcoming Expedia will be if I need to cancel them.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Have a cruise in September that we don't want to go on (if indeed it runs, which I doubt) but the balance is due in 6 weeks. My mate says if I don't pay the balance I'll lose my deposit, so should pay and when they cancel I'll get all the £'s back. Can anyone itk help me out with that one?

I’d look to see what the refund options are with the company you have booked with.
I had a holiday and cruise booked for China and Japan with Imagine cruises this April. It became clear early in the year this was not happening so I started a difficult process of a refund as I had paid the whole balance in December as per my contract.
The web site was changed almost daily about refund information. At the time they were offering to rearrange holidays to later dates or if not suitable would offer refunds. This was in keeping with 2018 Travel Package regs.
After about 20 emails they finally refunded in full mid March.
However I’ve just checked and they are now ignoring 2018 Travel Package regulations and only offering credit notes. So in keeping with many of these organisations they are ignoring the law.
If you go ahead make sure you also pay by credit card and I would ring the credit card company to establish where you stand if the cruise company goes under.

Added
I think your mate may be right unless the cruise has been cancelled (you need to double check) you may lose your deposit if you don’t fulfill your contract.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
AirBnB were great. Cancelled and refunded instantly.

Easyjet a ****ing nightmare at the start, they have changed their stance since. But after over two hours on hold my missus was told we'd only be refunded if the flight was cancelled. They've now said we can change it for free.....nice on them.

BA cancelled our flights and offered a refund IF you rang up and requested it or a voucher for 12 months which you could apply for online. Tried ringing up and was told the wait time on the call was 3 hours. Applied for the voucher.

BA are also saying you have to hit 70% of your tier points to retain your exec level. I'm just under 50% at the moment. Going to be pissed off if I lose that

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
EasyJet were a nightmare. They cancelled flights to Portugal and I tried every day for two weeks running to seek a refund and simply cut off after an annoying front end message. The day after we were due to fly out I tried on the off chance and got through. The refund was immediately forthcoming after a quick discussion on a voucher (no thanks). I do understand the predicament but it’s poor, poor practice.

MXL

Jan 29, 2006
on the edge of LDC
We had easyJet flights to Jersey CI the week before Easter. When they emailed to say the flights were cancelled the only online option was a voucher or transfer the flights up to Feb 2021 - no offer of a refund.

On Twitter there were a few phone numbers which people were using to get refunds - other than using the normal 0330 numbers. I was on hold for over 3 hours and when they answered the option of a refund was made. The money was back on my card in three days. the phone number is 0161 774 9879, good luck.

However the car hire refund is taking time, cancelled on 19th March and I have been told the refund is in the system, it may take until the end of May!

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I am in a difficult situation. Booked August family holiday early this year (in early Jan) with Tui, I’ve already paid 50%, the remainder is due end of May. If I don’t pay it I’ll lose the £2k already paid and in theory I’m liable anyway under the terms but if I do pay it could I lose the full £4K? The first time in about a decade we’ve booked this early normally book in May/June, flipping typical.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I’d look to see what the refund options are with the company you have booked with.
I had a holiday and cruise booked for China and Japan with Imagine cruises this April. It became clear early in the year this was not happening so I started a difficult process of a refund as I had paid the whole balance in December as per my contract.
The web site was changed almost daily about refund information. At the time they were offering to rearrange holidays to later dates or if not suitable would offer refunds. This was in keeping with 2018 Travel Package regs.
After about 20 emails they finally refunded in full mid March.
However I’ve just checked and they are now ignoring 2018 Travel Package regulations and only offering credit notes. So in keeping with many of these organisations they are ignoring the law.
If you go ahead make sure you also pay by credit card and I would ring the credit card company to establish where you stand if the cruise company goes under.

Added
I think your mate may be right unless the cruise has been cancelled (you need to double check) you may lose your deposit if you don’t fulfill your contract.

Thanks for this. I suspect cruise lines are going to be hit as hard as any in travel industry so I do worry about the £'s back ... a credit voucher isn't what I'm after at all.

I probably will pay the balance (and definitely on credit card) but my fear is they run some sort of stripped down cruise (not really sure what that could be)

I also asked [MENTION=522]Kinky Gerbils[/MENTION] as he's in the travel biz and seems that not paying the balance is likely to forfeit the deposit but I can understand why cruise lines are not cancelling the actual cruises even if they don't expect them to sail

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Still waiting for a cancelled EasyJet flight refund for a flight that was scheduled on 25th March

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here