Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There’s a few of you here with this viewpoint and I still don’t understand it.

A shrewd move? It’d be the opposite.

1) why do you think we need the money? Are we leaving the Premier League?

2) why accept £30m when his value could potentially double? (Given interest from so many clubs and even being hinted as a call up by Southgate)

3) why on EARTH would we want to strengthen a relegation rival?

4) what’s the point spending years developing your own talent but to sell before you even play them?

I don't think your questions undermine the 'if the price is right maybe selling him could be a shrewd move' point of view in the way you think they do.

1) Covid-19 has had an impact on all clubs finances, maybe the impact on Brighton is more than Bloom is willing to cover.
2) Because his value could also potentially half or drop further than that if he is a bust in the premier league.
3) Because we're looking up, not down. Money made by the sale/freed up by using the sale to cover covid losses, could be used to to buy in premier league experience, a goal scorer, that fires us into the top ten, and whoever is battling out relegation below us is irrelevant.
4) We are not going to play every single player we develop. That isn't the point of the academy. If we uncover talent in a role we need it, they can come through. We can also use the academy to develop players to sell to bring in finance to continue improving the academy and/or the first team squad.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
4) We are not going to play every single player we develop. That isn't the point of the academy. If we uncover talent in a role we need it, they can come through. We can also use the academy to develop players to sell to bring in finance to continue improving the academy and/or the first team squad.

In fairness, the Academy needs a 'hit' (to inspire others, not necessarily make money).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In fairness, the Academy needs a 'hit' (to inspire others, not necessarily make money).

It does, we don't know that White will be that hit or if he'll be a connolly - promising debut/early run, then fizzle out a bit and not really draw much attention because he's in his first year in the premier league and adapting.

And moving for a £30+m fee to a #teamlikeleeds, would be an inspiration, perhaps more so for some youngsters than getting to play for us. I mean if we're only looking for players whose goal is to break into our first team, rather than those that see us a path to premier league football one way or another, a path to bigger teams than Brighton (or teams they might consider bigger/more of a personal goal), then I don't know if we'd ever find that great hit we hope for.

TheWhiteRoseLUFC

Jul 18, 2020
Ben White is clearly a man with ambition so it's only natural he'd want move to a club like Leeds rather than stay at a club who's goal is to finish 17th.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
It does, we don't know that White will be that hit or if he'll be a connolly - promising debut/early run, then fizzle out a bit and not really draw much attention because he's in his first year in the premier league and adapting.

And moving for a £30+m fee to a #teamlikeleeds, would be an inspiration, perhaps more so for some youngsters than getting to play for us. I mean if we're only looking for players whose goal is to break into our first team, rather than those that see us a path to premier league football one way or another, a path to bigger teams than Brighton (or teams they might consider bigger/more of a personal goal), then I don't know if we'd ever find that great hit we hope for.

We if sell to Leeds for £30m and they stay up at our expense then it would have been a pretty stupid decision. Don't you think?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We if sell to Leeds for £30m and they stay up at our expense then it would have been a pretty stupid decision. Don't you think?

Why were we relegated? Was it because of injuries to our defenders, and not having appropriate cover? In that case, probably. Were we failing to score goals to win the games? Were we "found out" and struggle to play Potter's tactics as he wants them to be played? Were we just not good enough across the whole pitch? Then no, having Ben White in those circumstances wouldn't have made a difference.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Why were we relegated? Was it because of injuries to our defenders, and not having appropriate cover? In that case, probably. Were we failing to score goals to win the games? Were we "found out" and struggle to play Potter's tactics as he wants them to be played? Were we just not good enough across the whole pitch? Then no, having Ben White in those circumstances wouldn't have made a difference.

Usually agree with you. Completely disagree with you on this though.

Potter has this small window to alter the squad and to further it to fit the way he wants us to play. Part of that is the defence as goals aren't just scored because of the strikers.

If White is part of that plan (and it sounds like he is) then selling him makes no sense whatsoever.

The "let's sell and sign a £30m striker etc" plan doesn't work on so many levels. We're Brighton, not West Ham, thankfully.

I trust GP and Tony anyway, they'll make the correct decision.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I don't think your questions undermine the 'if the price is right maybe selling him could be a shrewd move' point of view in the way you think they do.

1) Covid-19 has had an impact on all clubs finances, maybe the impact on Brighton is more than Bloom is willing to cover.
2) Because his value could also potentially half or drop further than that if he is a bust in the premier league.
3) Because we're looking up, not down. Money made by the sale/freed up by using the sale to cover covid losses, could be used to to buy in premier league experience, a goal scorer, that fires us into the top ten, and whoever is battling out relegation below us is irrelevant.

I still don’t get your point. I mean, yes... selling one of the hottest properties, a young English talent being scouted by all the top clubs just screams ambition doesn’t it!

So let’s break down your position:

- how much would you sell him for?

- how would you feel if he were called up by England?

- who are we going to spend this windfall of money on, another AJ? Realistically how would the money help us?

- why strengthen a relegation rival

- and why sell White when we have a myriad of other players more preferable to sell? (Eg Duffy)

I suspect money isn’t the issue getting players, more about getting the right player.

Some here are hell bent on selling the guy before he’s even started for us in the PL. Starting to think some of you are Leeds fans.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Any guesses what the player rubbing the Leeds badge on White’s shirt might be talking to him about? :wink:

I’m going for “Can I have your shirt after the game”

View attachment 126409

'You're going to sign aren't you ?'

'Errm *embarrassed*, erm.....yeah.....erm'

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I assume others here have seen the twitter stuff floating around today regarding White’s girlfriends’s dad? Apparently he’s a big Leeds fan and he’s been tweeting some spiel about Ben being held in a contract against his wishes, therefore he can approach the FA to terminate his contract with Brighton so he’s free to join Leeds. Apparently because he’s under 24 years of age this is a genuine thing.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I assume others here have seen the twitter stuff floating around today regarding White’s girlfriends’s dad? Apparently he’s a big Leeds fan and he’s been tweeting some spiel about Ben being held in a contract against his wishes, therefore he can approach the FA to terminate his contract with Brighton so he’s free to join Leeds. Apparently because he’s under 24 years of age this is a genuine thing.
It's been mentioned on the Deluded Leeds fans thread.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

If Ben White is as good as everyone - not only Leeds fans - seems to think he is, why on earth would we want to sell him, specially as Mr Potter is on record as saying he had his eye on him even when he was still Swansea manager, and that he is looking forward to working with him. He is Potter’s type of player. Selling him is not going to happen.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

If it was even remotely true why would Man Utd, for example, pay £50 million for Aaron Wan Bissaka when they could have got him for nothing. Same applies to Dortmund and the signing of the lad from Birmingham. If this was actually a thing it would have been used loads by players force moves, it isn't.

Why on earth would there be a rule like that anyway, players can't sign pro contracts till they are 17, so it's not like it's a child signing something they don't understand.

Leeds fans currently -
32421847858_59637ef197_n.jpg

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

It was on Twitter on this morning and, giving away my twiiter account, I replied with the facts. He has signed a professional contract and the only way he can get out of it is by breach, there has not been one so forget it. If, and though I did a bit of research it is her dad he needs to be very careful what he says. If as he alludes to there's been an approach from a n other club then that is tapping up plain and simple.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It was on Twitter on this morning and, giving away my twiiter account, I replied with the facts. He has signed a professional contract and the only way he can get out of it is by breach, there has not been one so forget it. If, and though I did a bit of research it is her dad he needs to be very careful what he says. If as he alludes to there's been an approach from a n other club then that is tapping up plain and simple.

As was mentioned on the Deluded Leeds Fans thread, young Ben needs to have a word with his gf's Dad.

If that doesn't work, well, for a fit 23 year old just about to embark on a multi million pound PL career, replacing a WAG ain't going to be too difficult!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here