Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Close supermarkets on Sundays?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
With all that is going on right now and people saying how they are enjoying the peace and quiet, less pressure, time with the family etc, how would you feel about going back to supermarkets being closed on Sundays? Keep convenience stores open, and petrol station, and pubs etc etc, just close the BIG stores and malls. Would it improve life?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Wouldn't be against it there aren't any obvious issues that would arise. We need to be shown how to slow down sometimes.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
With all that is going on right now and people saying how they are enjoying the peace and quiet, less pressure, time with the family etc, how would you feel about going back to supermarkets being closed on Sundays? Keep convenience stores open, and petrol station, and pubs etc etc, just close the BIG stores and malls. Would it improve life?

life has changed, Sunday is the only day some folk have off

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm sure the supermarket workers could do with a day off as well.

This may come as a shock to you but Supermarket workers don't work 7 days a week.

Some people work on Sunday, but don't work on another day. Possibly two other days.

Not a lot of people know that.

I've been whooshed, haven't I. :facepalm:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

It would have to be done properly to be effective. Pubs just open lunchtime and evening - and no football (apart from Sunday league local football). That might raised a few squeals though!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's a 1001 changes we could implement for the greater good on the back of Coronavirus, but none will happen.

On a Friday, in 6 months time (hopefully)

The M25 will be gridlocked.
The sky above will be full of planes with seats cheaper than the rammed trains below, which will be late.
While supermarkets are full of impatient bellcheeses, 24/7.
And NSC is moaning because of an international break.

Love the sentiment, I wish to be wrong but I'd be amazed if I was.

Last edited:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Yes. Sunday used to be a special day where most things were closed. Internet shopping has taken off for people who need to shop on a Sunday.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In all seriousness, no.

I remember the 1970s when everything was shut, pubs opened at noon and closed at 2, then you went home to watch Southern Soccer (hello Ray Hiron, hello Albie McCann), before entering the Long Dark Teatime of the Soul.

No thanks.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
shutting Sundays would make Saturday busier. if you want to enjoy some peace and time with the family on Sunday, dont going out on a Sunday. the low pressure, quieter life right now is because people are not taking the family out, do essential shopping at different times.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I find that having them open for just 6 hours on a Sunday is pretty useful.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I did wonder if Sunday trading hours as they currently stand would be relaxed with what's going on. It hasn't happened - yet anyway. There's no guarantee of going back immediately on some things that do change because of what's going on - restrictions on pub opening hours in World War 1 were largely still in place right through to 1987.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Let's go further, no sport on Sundays and turn the clock back to 1950s so we can sit at home and have Sunday lunch (a roast) bang on 1pm each and every Sunday. Ensure that religious progammes fill the TV schedule, with a compulsory close down at 10.30.

Bound to be a vote winner

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Shops used to close at 1pm on a Wednesday too, for half day closing.

Boundary Road In Portslade runs N-S and the East side is nominally Hove , the West side Portslade, in the days of half day closing, the Portslade side shut Wednesday afternoon and the Hove side would shut Thursday Afternoons. so, dead handy if you lived locally.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
As someone who spent 17 years in retail, i would argue against it.

The two days a year that shops are generally close (Easter Sunday & Christmas Day) the preceding days are usually bloody NUTS. It's even nuts when there's the slightest amount of inclement weather, due to people's natural tendancy to be complete WHOPPERS when it comes to stocking up. See also: the past 2+ weeks.

I used to be staunchly against the idea of closing, mainly as Sunday premiums were a godsend for retail workers, though a number of supermarkets have since got rid of those in the name of cost-cutting. However, the 6 hours of working are good for the economy, aren't generally horrendously busy (the first hour or so can be, but it tails off) and also, most retail workers have forgotten the concept of a 'weekend' so having it as a day off either a) won't bother them too much and b) causes a problem with childcare, or other employment - they work sundays so it fits with the rest of their life.

I get the idea of it, more so now i'm out of the retail world but i think it's too important to revert back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here