Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Your favourite country in the world and why

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Isle of Wight

I know it was a tongue in cheek comment but the Isle of Wight is a wonderful place. Have friends who set up a B&B there about two years ago so went over last Easter. Easy to get around and great food - had my best EVER ploughmans at the Wight Mouse. It is like going back 20 years though. Sadly it looks like our friends might go bust though thanks to the virus !

As for countries - got to be France ( plan to retire to the Loire Valley ) or Australia - close call really.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Cyprus for me but the summers are far too hot. Not a country but I absolutely love Menorca.

Cyprus for me, Both the Republic and the TRNC. Such a shame they can’t come to a diplomatic arrangement as I think both sides are fantastic. Caveat, I lived there for six years as a kid, and I generally go on holiday there once or twice a year now.

I know there are issues, especially with large numbers of Russian and Chinese immigrants apparently moving there as an easy stepping stone to EU residency, but putting that aside I love the people, again, on both sides. The climate is fantastic , pretty much all year round, the cuisine is exceptional and the scenery is spectacular. If you’ve not been, I recommend it, just maybe not in Jan-Feb as it can be a bit gloomy.

In-laws live in Cyprus and I have to say I don't like it at all. Pathos in particular is awful - it's like going back to 1980's Spain ..... just a bit hotter.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Never been there but having dealt with customers from all over the world, I have to say Canadians were the rudest.

Strange - I work for a Canadian company and have been there twice ( once for work and once for pleasure ) and I can say without a shadow of a doubt they are the nicest, friendliest people on the planet.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I worked in Austin for 3 months about 2 years ago. Loved the place. Incredible music scene - it's not called the Live Music Capital of the World for nothing. Great restaurants and bars as well as a very laid back vibe. Those BBQ joints are very addictive. Will definitely be going back

I have Austin on my list. It seems to have all the things I like in life plus the sunshine.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What are your current music influences?

There are too many differing types of country music to make it a one size fits all category and therefore to give you my tips on what you might like to try would be difficult to get right. There is as much variety as the pop charts here in the UK.

My country playlists vary day to day in much the same way as any other music genres do for most music lovers.

Current favourites I listen to.... if you like Nickleback then your man is Luke Combs. If you prefer more mellow type music then Sam Outlaw is pretty easy listening. For a boy band sound, try Dan + Shay.
If you want to listen to UK based country then listen to both The Shires and Catherine McGrath. Her voice is stunning.

Go back 25+ years then George Strait is a legend, along with Toby Keith and Alan Jackson.

A very talented guy on the country scene is Brad Paisley. He can both sing and play guitar as well as anyone I have ever heard.

Really old country such as Johnny Cash, Merle Haggerd, although talented performers are not my bag however.

Thanks for this. I appreciate my question was quite broad; I’m into all sorts really (music is my primary passion in life and has been for decades), from weird electronic stuff to quite commercial stuff and lots in between . Been dabbling in nu-jazz recently as well. At 50 plus I don’t feel any pressure to be cool or whatever so I just go where my ears take me. I’m going to investigate the 25+ stuff you mentioned and take it from there.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Thanks for this. I appreciate my question was quite broad; I’m into all sorts really (music is my primary passion in life and has been for decades), from weird electronic stuff to quite commercial stuff and lots in between . Been dabbling in nu-jazz recently as well. At 50 plus I don’t feel any pressure to be cool or whatever so I just go where my ears take me. I’m going to investigate the 25+ stuff you mentioned and take it from there.

You’re very welcome.

I am much the same as you really. 50+ and not bothered any more what others think of my music choices. I spent years keeping my country music passion to myself, as everyone that I mentioned it to just ridiculed my taste, so I kept quiet.

My taste is varied though as I present online radio regularly. My current show highlights featured chart music from years gone by with hardly a country song being played at all. Although sometimes I do cover a 2 hour country slot if I fill in for somebody that isn’t available for their own shows.

I hope you enjoy some of my recommendations and I would be interested to hear of your thoughts whether positive or negative once you have listened to them.

Muzzy

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Strange - I work for a Canadian company and have been there twice ( once for work and once for pleasure ) and I can say without a shadow of a doubt they are the nicest, friendliest people on the planet.

I found that too, but have you had any dealings with French Canadians away from business connections? In public places eg bars, shopping, in queues, public transport, they often seemed ill mannered, barging in, rude.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I found that too, but have you had any dealings with French Canadians away from business connections? In public places eg bars, shopping, in queues, public transport, they often seemed ill mannered, barging in, rude.

Only French Canadians I've had dealings with are via work but not sure how they could be so different in work over out of work. Never an issue.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I worked in Toronto for a couple of weeks many years ago, appreciate it’s not the French bit but everyone was super nice and they really looked after me and gave me tips and even took me out to basketball and stuff. I only worked half days and had loads of time to see the city. I was asked quietly on the side if I would be interested in a job as well. I decided against it due to personal circumstances but I often wonder “what if”; I think I would have loved living in Toronto.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Been to Canada a dozen times (got family there, had business dealings with others) and this is also 100% my experience. Lovely people, and genuinely sincere.

If I am being hoodwinked then they are doing it to me in the nicest possible way, so I don't mind...

That's referring to Alberta, BC, Ontario and Quebec, for the record...

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Perhaps they are different when they are customers.

One told me in an email that the Yanks and Brits were f**king brainless and needed the Canadians to rescue us in WW2.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
In-laws live in Cyprus and I have to say I don't like it at all. Pathos in particular is awful - it's like going back to 1980's Spain ..... just a bit hotter.

I can understand why some dislike Paphos, as well as Aya Napa too, but once you’re away from those areas it’s so very different. Think of how beautiful the Sussex countryside is but you still have places like Crawley and Brighton in it.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Yep. I'd add to that great food, especially fresh meat, fruit and vegetables, wonderful people, flora and fauna and in Cape Town, one of the world's most beautiful cities.

Quite surprised nobody's mentioned Indonesia. Spent a month there last year and was very impressed with Java and Bali, so much more to see as well by all accounts.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Love Germany, Berlin , cologne , Munich , Hamburg and Koblenz are all great places to visit.
Also love Egypt, fantastic snorkelling in the Red Sea .

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
As a holiday destination the Greek islands, probably Kefalonia. I like the climate, the food, the Greek people, the slow pace of life, the beaches and beauty of the place. I like living in Crickhowell (Wales) though.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
What part of Italy was your mother from?
As already posted in this thread,my mate mum is from Foggia. Stayed many times with their family, staying and living the Italian family way was amazing. 're booking my cancelled week in Sorrento (last week) as soon as this virus is beaten.

That’s weird I have just been talking to a friend who went there last year... My mother was from an absolutely beautiful village called Corciano near Perugia in Umbria... Although I have no reason to go back to the village it’s still worth seeing if you are doing Assisi which is down the road.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here