Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Number of Deaths

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If I follow you correctly you are saying that Johns Hopkins recent data are wrong because they have changed the way they calculate UK cases, whereas UK Gov have not?

there's clearly something odd with the Johns Hopkins data, dip on 1/2 July and large spike 14th, not shown in other data sets. Johns Hopkins arent supposed to be calculating anything, instead using the country's reported data as is. the ONS data is higher than JH, so suggestion is they are using daily reported pillar 1 data?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
there's clearly something odd with the Johns Hopkins data, dip on 1/2 July and large spike 14th, not shown in other data sets. Johns Hopkins arent supposed to be calculating anything, instead using the country's reported data as is. the ONS data is higher than JH, so suggestion is they are using daily reported pillar 1 data?

OK. Well, maybeI went a bit early with my doom and gloom :thumbsup:

Yoda

English & European
I think it may be the way Johns Hopkins calculate it. For example, yesterdays spike of over 1,000.

Wales added all their antibody test results in one massive hit., and this was noted at first on the Worldometer's site to begin with. They have since reverted it to what the Government announcement was.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
If I follow you correctly you are saying that Johns Hopkins recent data are wrong because they have changed the way they calculate UK cases, whereas UK Gov have not?

JH aren't calculating anything, they are feeding in the official national government numbers. The UK was reporting only pillar 1 tests (hospital labs) up to July 2nd and not pillar 2 (commercial labs - community testing). They changed this and then the official UK sites have now gone back and amended old data but a lot of sources still feature that apparent spike. Of course JH are trying to follow all global data so they haven't got the bandwidth to follow these kinds of adjustments.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Don't know if anyone else knows - but why are there now so few deaths in hospitals when the main death figure is relatively static. So, for instance, today there are 13 hospital deaths, 120 overall.

Why are so many people dying of/with covid-19 without going to / being taken to hospital? Seems a bit odd, and not sure I've seen anything to explain this.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'll post this on the numbers thread as it is about numbers.

I have commented on the limited value of R (when the sample is small) before. I'd like to comment on the absurd plan to keep R down, if it starts to go up when schools open, by closing pubs.

If R goes up nationally when schools open, it means that kids at school are swapping and spreading the virus. If you close down pubs, this would be useful only if people are swapping and spreading the virus also in pubs. So why not shut pubs and schools? Because the government wants to open schools and figure one can calculate the relative contribution to R of spread in pubs and spread in schools.

OK, let us imagine that you can actually calculate the relative contribution to R from schools and from pubs. Shutting pubs will not have any effect on the spread of the virus caused by schools. R, nationally, will not go up so much over a couple of weeks if pubs are shut to offset the increase in R from the opening of schools.

BUT, after a couple of weeks, the increase in R will get bigger and bigger from the effect of the open schools, and R nationally will increase. Of course it will.

Let us imagine I am bleeding from a cut in my right arm. I then get another bigger cut on my left arm. In order to reduce total blood loss I put a tournequet on my right arm. I have shut the pubs. Then, over the following hours, I bleed to death from the new cut on my left arm (I left the schools open). If you don't deal with the spread of virus in schools we will have a spread of virus in schools. The virus will not, however, remain in the schools unless the children are prevented from going home at the end of the school day. Perhaps the members of government who favour this plan are familiar only with boarding schools and assume that all kids are boarders? ??? :facepalm:

Likewise, wearing a mask in London where Covid has almost vanished will not reduce the spread of Covid in Darwen, even if wearing a mask in London keeps the national R value a bit lower than it would be for a week or so by eeducing spread in London.

I remember having a meal with a couple of fat lasses in a university 30 years ago. They piled up their plates with about 3000 calories of nosh, chips, fat, creamy deserts, and washed it down with diet Coke. Yes, I agree, that there are fewer calories in diet Coke than in ordinary coke. But I do not agree that the fat lasses were on course to achieve their hearts' desire (to be less fat).

Are we following all this?

I am quite convinced that the government is populated by innumerate charlatans who either don't understand or don't want to understand anything other than their own hubris.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

I have commented on the limited value of R (when the sample is small) before. I'd like to comment on the absurd plan to keep R down, if it starts to go up when schools open, by closing pubs.

If R goes up nationally when schools open, it means that kids at school are swapping and spreading the virus. If you close down pubs, this would be useful only if people are swapping and spreading the virus also in pubs. So why not shut pubs and schools? Because the government wants to open schools and figure one can calculate the relative contribution to R of spread in pubs and spread in schools.

OK, let us imagine that you can actually calculate the relative contribution to R from schools and from pubs. Shutting pubs will not have any effect on the spread of the virus caused by schools. R, nationally, will not go up so much over a couple of weeks if pubs are shut to offset the increase in R from the opening of schools.

BUT, after a couple of weeks, the increase in R will get bigger and bigger from the effect of the open schools, and R nationally will increase. Of course it will.

Let us imagine I am bleeding from a cut in my right arm. I then get another bigger cut on my left arm. In order to reduce total blood loss I put a tournequet on my right arm. I have shut the pubs. Then, over the following hours, I bleed to death from the new cut on my left arm (I left the schools open). If you don't deal with the spread of virus in schools we will have a spread of virus in schools. The virus will not, however, remain in the schools unless the children are prevented from going home at the end of the school day. Perhaps the members of government who favour this plan are familiar only with boarding schools and assume that all kids are boarders? ??? :facepalm:

Likewise, wearing a mask in London where Covid has almost vanished will not reduce the spread of Covid in Darwen, even if wearing a mask in London keeps the national R value a bit lower than it would be for a week or so by eeducing spread in London.

I remember having a meal with a couple of fat lasses in a university 30 years ago. They piled up their plates with about 3000 calories of nosh, chips, fat, creamy deserts, and washed it down with diet Coke. Yes, I agree, that there are fewer calories in diet Coke than in ordinary coke. But I do not agree that the fat lasses were on course to achieve their hearts' desire (to be less fat).

I am quite convinced that the government is populated by innumerate charlatans who either don't understand or don't want to understand anything other than their own hubris.

As much as I love reading your oft' wacky analogies, you could have just written the bold bit and got a thumbs up!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

You could well be correct re the innumerate politicians, but wasn't it Prof. Whitty and Prof. Graham Medley who said that for schools to open then something else may have to be shut down as a trade off?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I think the idea is to lessen the spread when schools are back, by local shutdowns such as in Leicester. If the outbreaks do only occur locally this would make sense to me. Whether the setup they have in place proves adequate is open to question.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I have always thought that if by opening schools and pubs the R rate goes up but as is happening deaths and hospital admissions go down that would be a good thing , as it shows that the virus is either weakening or not proving the mass exterminator we thought it might be ??

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I have always thought that if by opening schools and pubs the R rate goes up but as is happening deaths and hospital admissions go down that would be a good thing , as it shows that the virus is either weakening or not proving the mass exterminator we thought it might be ??

Or has killed off the majority of the weak and vulnerable, apart from the 2.2 millions who were released from shielding on Saturday. Plenty for the virus to get it's crasping claws into there .

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I thought they are thinking it works like this ; if r is 0.9 with pubs open (x amount testing positive per day from pubs) and schools open and it goes to r1. 2 by shutting pubs it will go back down to 0.9, as the rate of infections is offset. I think this is what they are on about, not sure it will work out that way though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You could well be correct re the innumerate politicians, but wasn't it Prof. Whitty and Prof. Graham Medley who said that for schools to open then something else may have to be shut down as a trade off?

They may have but for the reasons I outline I can't see how this makes any sense unless all and only the people mixing at schools and their families are all and only those people going down the pub :shrug:

Something has been lost in translation.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think the idea is to lessen the spread when schools are back, by local shutdowns such as in Leicester. If the outbreaks do only occur locally this would make sense to me. Whether the setup they have in place proves adequate is open to question.

OK I can imagine if there is a flare up in a school in Faversham the pubs in Faversham should close. But I am pretty sure this isn't the plan....

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
They may have but for the reasons I outline I can't see how this makes any sense unless all and only the people mixing at schools and their families are all and only those people going down the pub :shrug:

Something has been lost in translation.

The scientists lost me ages ago.
So many conflicting opinions and dictats, i just can't keep up.:smile:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
OK I can imagine if there is a flare up in a school in Faversham the pubs in Faversham should close. But I am pretty sure this isn't the plan....

Surely though, the idea is to read the fine line between keeping R below one, and small adjustments like opening pubs or closing them will have an effect which may keep it below one?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

not really. i dont believe the government understands much whats going on, so rely on input from others, we hope expert. the idea (and share misgivings on effective R use) is that one contribution to R can be removed, offsetting another contribution to R. if they are the same or the latter smaller then this will keep under the magic threshold. it is not assumed the schools and pubs have the same cohort, they are different but can be weighed against each other. if an area if having a spike, the pubs shut, that cohort is removed and schools stay open, if that fails then yes schools shut too. actually i think it relies on them being roughly different cohorts, with little overlap, a naive but a somewhat reasonable assumption.

whats far more interesting is the implication the children spread it, when there's strong suggestion (dont know how well studied, verified) that children are not carrying. its the parents picking up thats the threat, so if schools manage this, rather than classrooms, playtime, etc, that will have greatest effect.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I believe that what some scientists have said (and you, of all people, should know how little these bloody scientists agree on anything, Harry :wink:) is that the various lessening of lockdown measures taken over the last couple of months have resulted in a manageable rise in R level (against the ongoing dropping levels). These, therefor, could be re-introduced to reduce the R factor back down, if opening the schools up increases the R factor to a greater degree than that envisaged and planned by the Government.

This is, of course, based on the premise that putting the 10 million in education and 0.5 million in teaching back into the same classrooms at the same density as before Covid, (and then having these 10.5 million return to their families each night) will only increase the R rate at a level equal or less than the R rate increase that has resulted from lessening of measures to date.

Obviously, this also requires a 'world class' track and trace system in order to keep on top of what is happening in each area.

The Government has obviously had far more detailed statistics, figures and projections available to it, throughout this whole pandemic, than those released to the public and will use this information to ensure the the best decisions are made for the people of the UK.

What could possibly go wrong ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I believe that what some scientists have said (and you, of all people, should know how little these bloody scientists agree on anything, Harry :wink:) is that the various lessening of lockdown measures taken over the last couple of months have resulted in a manageable rise in R level (against the ongoing dropping levels). These, therefor, could be re-introduced to reduce the R factor back down, if opening the schools up increases the R factor to a greater degree than that envisaged and planned by the Government.

This is, of course, based on the premise that putting the 10 million in education and 0.5 million in teaching back into the same classrooms at the same density as before Covid, (and then having these 10.5 million return to their families each night) will only increase the R rate at a level equal or less than the R rate increase that has resulted from lessening of measures to date.

Obviously, this also requires a 'world class' track and trace system in order to keep on top of what is happening in each area.

The Government has obviously had far more detailed statistics, figures and projections available to it, throughout this whole pandemic, than those released to the public and will use this information to ensure the the best decisions are made for the people of the UK.

What could possibly go wrong ?

Not seen much of Johnson recently ? I know it's Summer Recess and all that but we are still pretty much in the midst of the greatest global crisis for a century or so. Who's running the show while we await the autumn increase in cases ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here