Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Old Brighton Postcard

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I can't remember it working, bit I can remember queuing on the stairs in the rain many times.

I remember queuing on the stairs, in the snow (just my mum and I - no one else bothered!) for the opening screening of Star Wars in December 1977. If I remember correctly, the film then attracted a little more interest subsequently... :lol:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Blimey, I'd forgotten all about those stairs. Yes, I don't think I ever saw the escalator working. When were they removed?

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Blimey, I'd forgotten all about those stairs. Yes, I don't think I ever saw the escalator working. When were they removed?

The stairs used to lead up to the Ice Rink, don't ever remember the escalator working even then, when you're young nipping up a few stairs with a pair of skates round your neck wasn't a problem. They turned the Ice Rink into cinemas in 1971 I think.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The stairs used to lead up to the Ice Rink, don't ever remember the escalator working even then, when you're young nipping up a few stairs with a pair of skates round your neck wasn't a problem. They turned the Ice Rink into cinemas in 1971 I think.

Yeah, the stairs were obviously still there then (One of the films advertised is Cabaret and that was 1972). Wonder how much longer they survived after that?

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Yeah, the stairs were obviously still there then (One of the films advertised is Cabaret and that was 1972). Wonder how much longer they survived after that?

As I mentioned, they were certainly still there in December 1977, in the days when we did still get snow! :lol:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003

Ice Rink Price List.jpg

Used to go ice skating every Saturday morning when I was 14. I think the only record I ever heard them play was Herb Alperts Greatest Hits

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I remember queuing on the stairs, in the snow (just my mum and I - no one else bothered!) for the opening screening of Star Wars in December 1977. If I remember correctly, the film then attracted a little more interest subsequently... :lol:

We couldn't get in to Star Wars after queuing up those stairs/escalator for a mate's birthday treat - so we went to see Close Encounters of the Third Kind instead. Still never actually seen Star Wars!

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
A guy at work liked a Barley Wine or three, on his way home he fell down the up escalator. All those lines on the edge of the steps left parallel scratch lines over his face and he looked like he'd been mauled by a tiger.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Looking above the stairs you can see the old buildings replaced by the Brighton Centre.
If you want to see history, walk down Russell Road behind the Brighton Centre. In the gap between the Centre and the Grand Hotel an old church like building can be seen with stained glass windows. Guess it's an unused part of the hotel. Google maps has it in scaffolding so not clear.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
View attachment 150932

Used to go ice skating every Saturday morning when I was 14. I think the only record I ever heard them play was Herb Alperts Greatest Hits

Loving that brochure, brought back so many memories. The best time to go was Sunday afternoon, the guy that used to play the organ and records in between sessions, used to let people bring their own LP's, you just left them on his counter and he'd play them, used to hear all the popular chart stuff at the time.
As you know there was no barrier around the rink just a short step, Friday nights I used to go with my older brother and his mates (I was 15), at one end of the rink their was a sectioned off Bar with it's own entrance doors. The trick was to get one of your mates to hold open the Bar door, then fly round the ice step off it and slide on your skates into the Bar. Used to get chucked out if they caught you doing it mind! My older brother used to buy me half of Double Diamond, "Just don't tell Mum".
Very, very happy days,

:lolol:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Looking above the stairs you can see the old buildings replaced by the Brighton Centre.
If you want to see history, walk down Russell Road behind the Brighton Centre. In the gap between the Centre and the Grand Hotel an old church like building can be seen with stained glass windows. Guess it's an unused part of the hotel. Google maps has it in scaffolding so not clear.

I know the Top Rank replaced the old SS Brighton, but I've been (w)racking my brain and I cannot for the life of me remember what was there before the Brighton Centre. Anybody a) know, and b) got any pictures?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I know the Top Rank replaced the old SS Brighton, but I've been (w)racking my brain and I cannot for the life of me remember what was there before the Brighton Centre. Anybody a) know, and b) got any pictures?

The Sports Stadium was just north of the Kingswest site. It became an open car park for many years and now has the hotel on it.

There were a load of old Victorian building, including a pub, on the corner of West Street and Kings Road.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Sports Stadium was just north of the Kingswest site. It became an open car park for many years and now has the hotel on it.

There were a load of old Victorian building, including a pub, on the corner of West Street and Kings Road.

Ah fair enough. It was slightly before my time as I didn't move to Sussex until 1965 and first went to Brighton in 1966. In fact my first visit to Brighton and Hove may well have been the Goldstone!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Loving that brochure, brought back so many memories. The best time to go was Sunday afternoon, the guy that used to play the organ and records in between sessions, used to let people bring their own LP's, you just left them on his counter and he'd play them, used to hear all the popular chart stuff at the time.
As you know there was no barrier around the rink just a short step, Friday nights I used to go with my older brother and his mates (I was 15), at one end of the rink their was a sectioned off Bar with it's own entrance doors. The trick was to get one of your mates to hold open the Bar door, then fly round the ice step off it and slide on your skates into the Bar. Used to get chucked out if they caught you doing it mind! My older brother used to buy me half of Double Diamond, "Just don't tell Mum".
Very, very happy days,

:lolol:

Went skating there when I was 15/16 in 71/72.
I was able to skid at an angle and spray ice up over onlookers lol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here