Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
If there is live sport on again, people will watch it. They could either do it, PPV on Saturday afternoons so have the matches consecutively like Amazon do. TV income could be decent.

A lot of subscriptions would have to be given free for season ticket holders.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The football world is simply not smelling the coffee at the moment. It's really not difficult. The restrictions will not be relaxed sufficiently to permit a game of football to be played involving spectators until

1. Accurate and reliable testing is available for all so that everyone involved in and attending a football match can demonstrate they are C19 free, and/or
2. The vaccine for C19 has been developed, tested, manufactured, distributed and applied

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This is why I think league 1 and league 2 teams will vote down the EFL plan to go behind closed doors.

They are better off furloughing all staff, rather than playing behind closed doors for tiny televised income.

Exactly. Not much money will come to the likes of Bury and their ilk (no disrespect, I have enjoyed watching the Albion up there) through TV money for the FL playing behind closed doors. May pay a couple of groundsmen if they are fortunate.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Just my opinion- but if France has said no sporting events / mass gatherings until mid July, that suggests they think these will be ok pretty soon after this, and the Tour De France has been rescheduled for late August, which is an event which involves millions of spectators in an uncontrolled roadside environment where social distancing will not be occurring.

Lockdown measures are being relaxed gradually- has started already in Europe and could do here from May. This all suggests, although I know it is speculation, that we might also be back to unrestricted life of some sort by summer / the end of summer.

So I think its possible football matches with fans could take place in the UK from August / September.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Unlikely if given a refund for games - they will want to reclaim some back.

Only repeating what I've seen suggested. One should be able to view only the games one wants and not have to buy a whole package. I would expect it to be very very cheap as well as the whole thing would be tremendously devalued.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Just my opinion- but if France has said no sporting events / mass gatherings until mid July, that suggests they think these will be ok pretty soon after this, and the Tour De France has been rescheduled for late August, which is an event which involves millions of spectators in an uncontrolled roadside environment where social distancing will not be occurring.

Lockdown measures are being relaxed gradually- has started already in Europe and could do here from May. This all suggests, although I know it is speculation, that we might also be back to unrestricted life of some sort by summer / the end of summer.

So I think its possible football matches with fans could take place in the UK from August / September.
An August start would be ideal for the 20/21 season, with the games coming thick and fast before a 12 week winter break when the 2nd wave hits.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The football world is simply not smelling the coffee at the moment. It's really not difficult. The restrictions will not be relaxed sufficiently to permit a game of football to be played involving spectators until

1. Accurate and reliable testing is available for all so that everyone involved in and attending a football match can demonstrate they are C19 free, and/or
2. The vaccine for C19 has been developed, tested, manufactured, distributed and applied

Isn’t this thread about the suggestion of football without spectators

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011

Not sure I agree with this- it seems like the strategy will be to un-lock the measures gradually, ensuring the NHS remains below capacity. They will be hoping that enough people have had it to slow the spread enough for the thing to run out of steam. The virus may still be around but I think they could go to pretty much all restrictions removed by the summer. France suggesting events could occur from mid July potentially, and the Tour De France has been re-scheduled for August.

I don't thing testing or a vaccine will be a requirement for these things to start up again with spectators- but just my opinion.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This seems like the way forward, according to America's Most Patient Man: https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/dr-anthony-fauci-promotes-fan-free-return-sports/story?id=70161189

Suggestion is holding important events in one location i.e. Arizona. Unfortunately, we have nowhere that doubles for Arizona. We are so densly populated, that it would be nigh on impossible to keep fans away. There will be hundreds of thousands of fans in the streets of Liverpool social distancing or no social distancing, when they get over the line. Fans will think it is worth the risk imo.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

29th Aug to 20th Sept.

If that was the earliest they are considering for behind close doors football then add on a couple of weeks for training to get match fit. Really is a pointless exercise when they could be planning for a new season to start mid Sept.

Also, this behind closed doors scenario means the players would be in lockdown, ie not seeing their family from the time they start training to till all games are complete. It will only take one player/member of staff, to test positive and the whole thing comes to a halt again.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
29th Aug to 20th Sept.

If that was the earliest they are considering for behind close doors football then add on a couple of weeks for training to get match fit. Really is a pointless exercise when they could be planning for a new season to start mid Sept.

Also, this behind closed doors scenario means the players would be in lockdown, ie not seeing their family from the time they start training to till all games are complete. It will only take one player/member of staff, to test positive and the whole thing comes to a halt again.
This - and if we can start playing football again in September (which I rather doubt) we should be commencing season 2020-21, not fannying around trying to find a way of finishing this season not very well.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
From the BBC:

Dundee have voted in favour of the proposals to end the Scottish lower-league season, the SPFL has confirmed.

The Championship club's change of heart means city rivals Dundee United, Raith Rovers and Cove Rangers are champions of their respective divisions.

The SPFL has not said if those sides will be promoted and if Partick Thistle and Stranraer will be relegated.

But it did confirm it will launch a taskforce to explore an expanded Premiership for next season.

This will set an interesting precedent. I wonder if this is the route we will go down?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here