Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The whole thing is magnificent!

Very many thanks. Of course there are parts of it I may have done differently second time around but overall I'm really pleased with the effect. I spent a lot of time planning the layout for months before I moved into the house, so that probably helped.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A stunning visitor today, I can’t find online which species of butterfly or moth this is.

BAA1CD0E-5838-4F12-A41F-BBD001637316.jpeg

Bees update - many species feasting today on Nepeta, Echium vulgare and Trifolium rubens (Ruddy clover … this was a recommendation of Hove’s Kate Bradbury).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's a bloody Box hedge moth - KILL IT :rant:

Well. That explains the attack within two years on my first ever box hedges, a couple of metres away.

I was going to check whether the damage was caused by the moth or Box Blight.

I'll drop it off in your front garden in a while.

[On a sensible note, how've you beaten these critters?].

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well. That explains the attack within two years on my first ever box hedges, a couple of metres away.

I have a couple of these pheromone traps, front and back https://www.greengardener.co.uk/product/box-tree-moth-buxus-trap-lure/ which aren't cheap, but at least the lures last all season and get the moths.

However, in addition, for the caterpillars 2/3 times a year all the boxes get trimmed and sprayed with https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224628254716?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=224628254716&targetid=293946777986&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006812&poi=&campaignid=17116423086&mkgroupid=134652533165&rlsatarget=pla-293946777986&abcId=9300856&merchantid=113615271&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo5b_2a3B-AIVEoFQBh1w8wz0EAQYAyABEgLo-fD_BwE I use the concentrate as I have a lot of box hedging at the front and it takes a lot of spray (maybe 4-5 litres per spray). Over the last 3 seasons this has managed to keep them at bay, but despite using the traps all year, I've still had to spray.

There are nematodes that can be used and are far better for the environment, but it's already costing me a fortune just using the two products above. Quite frankly, unless you have a lot of Box, it's probably better just to dig it up and replace it with something else. I think long term that box trees and hedges may be a thing of the past in Britain unless they can somehow breed a species which can survive the caterpillars :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have a couple of these pheromone traps, front and back https://www.greengardener.co.uk/product/box-tree-moth-buxus-trap-lure/ which aren't cheap, but at least the lures last all season and get the moths.

However, in addition, for the caterpillars 2/3 times a year all the boxes get trimmed and sprayed with https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224628254716?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=224628254716&targetid=293946777986&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006812&poi=&campaignid=17116423086&mkgroupid=134652533165&rlsatarget=pla-293946777986&abcId=9300856&merchantid=113615271&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo5b_2a3B-AIVEoFQBh1w8wz0EAQYAyABEgLo-fD_BwE I use the concentrate as I have a lot of box hedging at the front and it takes a lot of spray (maybe 4-5 litres per spray). Over the last 3 seasons this has managed to keep them at bay, but despite using the traps all year, I've still had to spray.

There are nematodes that can be used and are far better for the environment, but it's already costing me a fortune just using the two products above. Quite frankly, unless you have a lot of Box, it's probably better just to dig it up and replace it with something else. I think long term that box trees and hedges may be a thing of the past in Britain unless they can somehow breed a species which can survive the caterpillars :shrug:

Thanks so much.

Planted in 2020, my first Box, I was aware at the time of both Blight and the moths. But being just two small cubes for effect, I gave it a go. No other Box around here, you're possibly the nearest, so I thought I'd get lucky. Wrong.

I was also aware at the time of alternatives such as Yew, I even think there was a Gardeners World special (in 2019?) on a wide of alternatives, after Monty's were decimated by Blight. The upright Rosemary Miss Jessopp's, was second on my list.

I agree with your overall sentiment. In the end we have to work with climatic and pestilence changes eg to Elm, Ash and others.

Being a stubborn bugger, I might try the products you recommend first.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Some of my customers have had that issue for the last two years…I’d previously had no one in the thirty years of current employment

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Keep seeing a humming bird hawk moth in the garden but the little f*cker flies off so quickly i can't get a photo... Hopefully might visit longer when the buddleia comes out.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
A stunning visitor today, I can’t find online which species of butterfly or moth this is.

View attachment 149058

Bees update - many species feasting today on Nepeta, Echium vulgare and Trifolium rubens (Ruddy clover … this was a recommendation of Hove’s Kate Bradbury).

I saw the same the other day in my garden. I wondered last year why my boxes died back. Now I think I know why. BTW if you have Google Photos, use the 'Lens' option, mostly it will find at least similar images. It identified the moth straight away for me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I couldn't be bothered to involve you in another game of:-

'Did I plant this?'

One random plant had bolted out of the ground and then kicked on at an exponential rate of growth.

I came to the conclusion 'no I didn't'...

...when I saw the bulbs it turns out I did, and it's now not happy!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Some of my customers have had that issue for the last two years…I’d previously had no one in the thirty years of current employment

Read about these at the weekend for the first time. They are now considered endemic and no longer need to be reported to DEFRA. I am annoyed as I had three lovely topiaried box trees which I grew from cuttings about 20 years ago.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I couldn't be bothered to involve you in another game of:-

'Did I plant this?'

One random plant had bolted out of the ground and then kicked on at an exponential rate of growth.

I came to the conclusion 'no I didn't'...

...when I saw the bulbs it turns out I did, and it's now not happy!

We like playing "Did I plant this?" We also like lots of photos, especially yours!
I'm guessing you've dug up a Dahlia? The Nerines would'nt put on a lot of leaf growth. I assume you've replanted it, and watered it like buggery to get it going again?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I saw the same the other day in my garden. I wondered last year why my boxes died back. Now I think I know why. BTW if you have Google Photos, use the 'Lens' option, mostly it will find at least similar images. It identified the moth straight away for me.

I've got some sparodic bits of box ( well I think it is) floating around the garden. I am now hoping for some of these beauties, I will go ahunting! Will check if they have invaded Wales first...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We like playing "Did I plant this?" We also like lots of photos, especially yours!
I'm guessing you've dug up a Dahlia? The Nerines would'nt put on a lot of leaf growth. I assume you've replanted it, and watered it like buggery to get it going again?

Probably, who cares!

It's had plenty of water since but still looks a little sad - that'll learn it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Listening to BBC R4 GQT on Sounds today, they simply recommended the nematodes solution.

I only have two small box hedges, in fairly good condition still, so I'll go for that.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Anyone had any issues with their hydrangeas this year? Have what looks like white mould/fungal sacks across two separate shrubs. Not effecting adjacent plants and seems to have suppressed new growth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here