Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've tried and failed, as my soil is too rich. Palms, bananas and associated tropical fauna have caused me to enrich the growing medium over the years.
i am however, penciling in an area for bee friendly plants next spring/summer

You can still get a lovely meadow of cornfield annuals with enriched soil, I have repeatedly. With some weeding required of other plants that creep in. I’ve seen it at Sissinghurst too.

It’s the perennials meadow that requires poor soil.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
send me the pic... i am always keen to find out where populations of them exist...in Woodingdean they are very few and far between but when i was a kit there were thousands

895E0DE3-3BAD-4E3A-A623-6F776C15B7AF.png

The best pic I have.

We’re just in suburbia, not backing onto countryside or woodland, so there’s no special reason why we have them … but we do. Really pleased.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
View attachment 148968

The best pic I have.

We’re just in suburbia, not backing onto countryside or woodland, so there’s no special reason why we have them … but we do. Really pleased.

Looks like something [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] would happily polish off on a taster menu in downtown Berlin

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
View attachment 148968

The best pic I have.

DSCF0065.JPG this an adult female probably 3 inches long

Two_newts.jpg these are two adult males....

when they are land based their skin looks velvety and is dry unlike say a frog. They usually don't return to water after the breeding season unlike frogs who have a wet skin and need to keep it moist. After one very long hot spell many years ago it poured down and an old bowl i had out filled with water , i then noticed the contents.... first and last time i had ever seen anything like that but it was a long spell of dry weather..

DSCF0037.JPG

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looks like something [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] would happily polish off on a taster menu in downtown Berlin

Seared hand caught garden newt, samphire and pickled walnut.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oi f**k-faces this ain't Newt Question Time.
Stick to the topic or f**k off.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Oi f**k-faces this ain't Newt Question Time.
Stick to the topic or f**k off.

Yes, that should be kept for the pet thread.

I had a pet Newt once.

I called him Tiny, because he was my newt.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've tried and failed, as my soil is too rich. Palms, bananas and associated tropical fauna have caused me to enrich the growing medium over the years.
i am however, penciling in an area for bee friendly plants next spring/summer

Come on, where are those pictures you promised (about 2 or 3 years ago)? And surely you mean 'flora'?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Perennials are coming into flower. Bees into the Scabious today. Lots still to flower - Achillea Terracotta, Rudbeckia, Echinacea, Betony, Stachys.

2077630D-A2B5-46C0-B4ED-7C2E9AED6B4E.jpeg

00637E50-A56F-41DA-B57F-E4AAA13F4B6C.jpeg

Mini meadow taking shape, hidden are Yellow-rattle, Achillea and Lady’s Bedstraw.

193E6FAE-1002-44E7-B3B3-6438C49F7B43.jpeg

Completed the final part of another border this week, delayed by 16 years!

D87C36A3-4462-4B2B-8AA9-9B4D74467B07.jpeg

Comprising Rosa Ispahan, Hydrangea Annabelle, Hawthorn Paul’s Scarlet, Allium summer beauty, Astrantia, Persicaria bistorta superba, both White and Red Campion and Geranium Pratense. I’ll add a few Allium Globemaster bulbs at a later date, they don’t mind the partial shade down that border.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
We have a centre piece Echium if you like in our veg garden at work. A magnet for Bees. Echiums seed everywhere and we just leave them to grow selectively. There's others dotted around, and if you look carefully you can see a bunch we've left to the right of this pic that will flower next year.IMG_20220619_162229-min.jpg

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Perennials are coming into flower. Bees into the Scabious today. Lots still to flower - Achillea Terracotta, Rudbeckia, Echinacea, Betony, Stachys.

View attachment 148985

View attachment 148986

Mini meadow taking shape, hidden are Yellow-rattle, Achillea and Lady’s Bedstraw.

View attachment 148987

Completed the final part of another border this week, delayed by 16 years!

View attachment 148988

Comprising Rosa Ispahan, Hydrangea Annabelle, Hawthorn Paul’s Scarlet, Allium summer beauty, Astrantia, Persicaria bistorta superba, both White and Red Campion and Geranium Pratense. I’ll add a few Allium Globemaster bulbs at a later date, they don’t mind the partial shade down that border.

Your beds look amazing. Love it. The new planting will be so satisfying to watch whilst it grows and fills out. Why did that bed take 16 years? That is an exceedingly long time to either get around to it or to be planning!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Is anyone else having an issue with cold dry winds, perpertual clouds and virtually no rain.

It keeps the weeds down, but none of my veg is thriving (or even starting in many cases).

I'm also told that getting F1 hybrid seed to germinate is increasingly difficult, which might explain my complete failure for any courgette seeds to germinate so far. I can't even get sunflower seeds to start and they should be a doddle.

Even when something does appear, the pigeons promptly scoff it, and don't get me started about blackbirds, cherries and blueberries.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Nice Echiums and is that Albizia?

It is indeed. It was being thrown out from our nursery where I used to work, around ten years' ago, as it had been in a pot for several years and didn't grow. It was about five feet tall with no branches. I dug a huge hole, filled it with nuclear compost made by a mad gardener, planted it, and it's gone nuts!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here