Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Things are so much later this year. Last June, my canna musifolia was 6ft high, this June it's not even 6 inches! Other bog standard cannas are just starting to move.
Things will catch up, but just a bit frustrating

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I love an Echium. I've only got 3 in my garden in flower this year, but the ground is covered in thousands of seedlings for next year.
I've just ordered 3 packets of these;
Tried a decent sized wildpretii plant in Liverpool in the early 00's. Died as soon as any kind of frost hit. Pity as I love them! They are not nearly as hardy as pininana and are truly tender imo. Although the RHS says as hardy as pininana?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Saw these borders stunners at both Great Dixter and Sissinghurst on Friday, the PlantNet app identified them as Common Gladiolus, whereas another source names them as Eastern Gladiolus.

@Jack Straw what’s your considered opinion please?

IMG_0617.jpeg

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Saw these borders stunners at both Great Dixter and Sissinghurst on Friday, the PlantNet app identified them as Common Gladiolus, whereas another source names them as Eastern Gladiolus.

View attachment 162081
Great Dixter was the place that inspired me to create an exotic looking garden.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

View attachment 162081

I have exactly the same plant that popped up through a patch of Crocsomia.

I assumed the Crocsomia had just started flowering early but when they bloomed they turned out to be Gladiolus Byzantinus

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

View attachment 162081
I'm afraid my knowledge on Gladiloli is probably no greater than yours! Sorry.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
The chap who runs it - Fergus Garrett, used to work under me in the Valley Gardens Area in Brighton in the mid-eighties. I'm told that I was quite influencial in how he developed in to the horticuluralist he is today! That's my only claim to faim.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The chap who runs it - Fergus Garrett, used to work under me in the Valley Gardens Area in Brighton in the mid-eighties. I'm told that I was quite influencial in how he developed in to the horticuluralist he is today! That's my only claim to faim.
I remember Fergus on TV. Didn't he live in Hastings? I am genuinely grateful to you for passing on your knowledge and love of plants to him. I always had it in my mind, that he was the main instigator of the tropical garden there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm afraid my knowledge on Gladiloli is probably no greater than yours! Sorry.
Don't worry - the thing about this thread is there's always an expert on hand.

Gladioli are green leafed plants with assorted colour flowers.
Some flowers are white, some are yellow, some can even be red, in fact the list is almost endless.

Not a problem.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyhoo my reason for popping in was 1066's then and now shots.
Ive been outside over the last couple of weeks, and have once again tamed the jungle.
I did buy some bits and bobs yesterday, so ought to probably wait for them to fill out before doing this but hey the encouragement from looking back is a good thing.

Ive missed the last two 'lawn windows'and am determined to not miss the third.
(Sure I was equally determined to not miss the previous ones)

Anyway here's half of Stat Towers back garden 17 months apart.
(The other half hasn't changed much)

IMG_20220129_124052_748.jpg

IMG_20220129_124029_712.jpg

IMG_20230610_100823_108.jpg

IMG_20230610_100756_156.jpg

Forgive the fence, or lack of.
That's a combination of the government taking all my money and a son who spends half his week fencing only talking a good game.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I remember Fergus on TV. Didn't he live in Hastings? I am genuinely grateful to you for passing on your knowledge and love of plants to him. I always had it in my mind, that he was the main instigator of the tropical garden there.
He still does, as far as I'm aware. He and his team came and designed a couple of our beds at work. We used to over winter some of their stock in our polytunnels too.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ive been outside over the last couple of weeks, and have once again tamed the jungle.
I did buy some bits and bobs yesterday, so ought to probably wait for them to fill out before doing this but hey the encouragement from looking back is a good thing.

View attachment 162095

View attachment 162096

View attachment 162097

View attachment 162098

That's a combination of the government taking all my money and a son who spends half his week fencing only talking a good game.
Clever!
It's almost hiding in plain sight on a non geeks thread. :thumbsup:

Chapeau!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

By coincidence the Carol Klein Great Gardens episode on Great Dixter was on cable TV this morning. They spent time in the exotics garden, Christopher Lloyd planted it to replace a traditional rose garden. Ahead of his time.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
By coincidence the Carol Klein Great Gardens episode on Great Dixter was on cable TV this morning. They spent time in the exotics garden, Christopher Lloyd planted it to replace a traditional rose garden. Ahead of his time.
I love Christopher Lloyd's attitude. Just planting colours that traditionally would be frowned upon as companion plants.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Am I after the impossible?

A 6ft shrub, preferably colourful, but will live in almost constant shade.

You won't get many shrubs for shade that flower.
One way of getting a bit of colour under shade is to use variegated plants. Some lose their variegation in shade, but this one doesn't. - Aucuba crotonifolia.
GCCM suggested Aucuba or Fatsia. Both have varigated varieties, but the one above is the one for me.

Do you think @Stat Brother might have some success with Daphne? I know they like some dappled sun but I've seen some grow in shade that are in flower.
Unfortunately most of the late flowering varieties tend to be more compact in height.

I have a virburnum tinus that gets very little sun and is packed with flowers in spring.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

View attachment 162095

View attachment 162096

View attachment 162097

View attachment 162098

Looks like you've done all the unpleasant stuff now you can focus on cutting the borders out and the enjoyable stuff.

As much as I appreciate our established garden I'm always very envious of someone with a blank canvas, your possibilities are unless!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The corner in question is next to my garden storage.

What with the house, fence and neighbours extension there's about 2 or 3ft, next to the Choisya that is almost blocked off.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Looks like you've done all the unpleasant stuff now you can focus on cutting the borders out and the enjoyable stuff.

As much as I appreciate our established garden I'm always very envious of someone with a blank canvas, your possibilities are unless!
You haven't seen round the corner!!!!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
When he joined us in Valley Gardens, he had already made up his mind to make horticulture his carreer. What he got from me was my work ethic, high standards and cracking the whip! He was one of the few staff who were on board with that. Others that were there just to pick up a wage packet didn't enjoy themselves like Fergus did!
I think Fergus may have lived in Hastings for a while, but I think he moved in to Great Dixter when Christo couldn't look after himself as he got older and not so well. I had the pleasure of eating with Fergus and Christo at Great Dixter. Christo had two sausage dogs named Canna and Yucca! That's not what we ate for dinner!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here