Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Will that provide enough height?

I had a similar border when I moved into my house 4 years ago, planted a "flowery" assortment but not satisfied with what's going on 20" above ground level.
I went to the garden centre yesterday and bought 6 hedge/bush evergreens to plump up the expanse of exposed fence I still had on show.
Planning to widen the beds and plant shorter and brighter in front.
Dunno - I'm only planting for Chris, not too fussed.
There's a lot of ground to cover so I just bought some bright stuff.

Need to also get Chris one of these, for when he wants to stop over

199538_02.jpg

Which way does the border face? If its South or West I would deffo bung a couple of Tomato plants in there. You won't regret it.
I f**king well will. :rolleyes:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Certainly living up to your username. I always thought of Stat as being more bright and flash bloomers ???

Nah, not really, I should be called " Fruitster " then WZ ?:)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Nah, not really, I should be called " Fruitster " then WZ ?:)

"Fruitster the pedant" maybe :wink:

I've decided to go traditional this year and have Nasturtiums (my Grandmother's favourite) ready to pot on in the next few days for the hanging baskets and Mimulus for the bedding. I don't think I have ever found another bedding plant that flowers so well in the shade.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Looks like we're back up and running for this year's NSC GQT. Brilliant!
Everlasting Wallflowers and Hebes have taken a bit of knock due to recent cold temperatures. Time will tell if the damage was too severe for them to come back.
Anyone with ornamental grasses? It's time to cut them right back to the ground. Don't be frightened.
Also, don't be frightened to post your garden photos on here. We're interested in everyone's, even if they're not Kew Gardens standard!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I chopped three hardy fuschias (all about six feet high and across, and about ten years old), and one clematis montana (at least 25 years old with a long single stem) down to the ground over the winter as all of them were far too big and woody.

None of them have shown any sign of regenerating yet. Do I just need to wait a bit longer for some signs of life, or have been a bit too enthusiastic with the loppers and killed them off? The quince bush that had similar treatment is showing some greenery starting.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
As well as “Das Reich” and “Vulture”.

You’ve led a colourful NSC life.

Hardly colourful, I've always been Vegster, I did have another persona but its been so long i forgot the password and left it in the past.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I chopped three hardy fuschias (all about six feet high and across, and about ten years old), and one clematis montana (at least 25 years old with a long single stem) down to the ground over the winter as all of them were far too big and woody.

None of them have shown any sign of regenerating yet. Do I just need to wait a bit longer for some signs of life, or have been a bit too enthusiastic with the loppers and killed them off? The quince bush that had similar treatment is showing some greenery starting.

They should all be fine. You should start to see signs of life any time now. The Clematis montana would need a few inches of stem left for the new shoots to emerge from. Normally, this variety is not touched, or very lightly trimmed only. Be patient. If the worst comes to the worst, just buy a new one!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Looks like we're back up and running for this year's NSC GQT. Brilliant!
Everlasting Wallflowers and Hebes have taken a bit of knock due to recent cold temperatures. Time will tell if the damage was too severe for them to come back.
Anyone with ornamental grasses? It's time to cut them right back to the ground. Don't be frightened.
Also, don't be frightened to post your garden photos on here. We're interested in everyone's, even if they're not Kew Gardens standard!

Since you insist,

I love the first colours of spring

nsc daffs.jpg

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007

Really? Not something I've done before, what are the benefits? Genuine question of an idiot gardener! thanks

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Really? Not something I've done before, what are the benefits? Genuine question of an idiot gardener! thanks

IIRC wasn't it you who was also having trouble with Box tree caterpillars ? If so, how did it go ?

And it's just reminded me to order this year's pheromones for my traps :thumbsup:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Most ornamental grasses are non-evergreen herbaceous perennials. The growth made during the summer becomes superfluous when it all goes a straw colour over winter. Those old leaves are basically dead. This growth will eventually rot away, so by cutting it back manually, you are speeding up nature with the cosmetic benefit of looking neat and tidy. They'll grow bigger and better the next season.
Here are pictures of a garden I made for a friend last year of the grasses at their best, and how they looked after I'd cut them back to nothing yesterday, well, you can't see them!
Should you be interested in the whole of the works from start to finish, the photos are here;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128321708@N03/albums/72157711030651231

Attachments

• Grass 1 NSC.JPG
    Grass 1 NSC.JPG
    330.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Grass 2 NSC.JPG
    Grass 2 NSC.JPG
    308.2 KB · Views: 97

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Mrs Zef tore up our front lawn, we dug a pond and it's a wild flower garden.

a riotous jungle of texture and colour for 8-9 months of the year . . . after a winter of scaffolding, roofers, window fitters and ice it looks like a pig sty . . . but should all spring to life very soon.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
IIRC wasn't it you who was also having trouble with Box tree caterpillars ? If so, how did it go ?

And it's just reminded me to order this year's pheromones for my traps :thumbsup:

Yes it was me sadly! Ended up taking out two thirds of the beds with box hedging and managing to salvage the final one.

Thanks to those who provided advice as we were absolutely infested with the bloody caterpillars. Have also ordered the trap refill this week!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes it was me sadly! Ended up taking out two thirds of the beds with box hedging and managing to salvage the final one.

Thanks to those who provided advice as we were absolutely infested with the bloody caterpillars. Have also ordered the trap refill this week!

Sorry to hear that. Mine have recovered but I had to use two pheromone traps and probably 4-5 lots of Provanto. I'm hoping that because I caught most of them last year, between the traps and spray, and that we have had a bit of a cold snap (which I don't think we had last year), that this year will be better.

Fingers crossed.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
We bought a new place with a humungous garden and veg plot (think full on allotment + size for the veg plot).

I love gardens, but know f all about gardening. A major problem.

I've bought an electric propogator and it's currently got thai basil, peppers, chillies, and aubergine shoots. Got loads of other seeds for other veg. We're keen to get stuck in to both the veg (there's loads of fruit trees/bushes in another area too) and the flowers - but we're like the blind leading the blind. It's going to be messy!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We bought a new place with a humungous garden and veg plot (think full on allotment + size for the veg plot).

I've bought an electric propogator and it's currently got thai basil, peppers, chillies, and aubergine shoots. Got loads of other seeds for other veg. We're keen to get stuck in to both the veg (there's loads of fruit trees/bushes in another area too) and the flowers - but we're like the blind leading the blind. It's going to be messy!

In case [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] isn't around, you have to take pictures and post them before you start, it's the law and only adds to the entertainment :thumbsup:

And helps with the advice

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
In case [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] isn't around, you have to take pictures and post them before you start, it's the law and only adds to the entertainment :thumbsup:

And helps with the advice

508EAC34-052C-449E-9856-FB27772E074F.jpeg

Long bed = no clue

D1456565-3934-4C89-9D5C-4A8082D34AF4.jpeg

North facing = rock garden??

3A4B5452-E6AD-4AF3-8C80-11D4B2D29CF4.jpeg

Here (and way beyond) be dragons = no clue.

35862E5F-419B-4E2A-A520-2C820815E885.jpeg

Near bit sometimes floods (obviously), rest doesn’t. Leave well alone?

40CD376B-3653-4B28-B0BF-E5B92A19C154.jpeg

Gulp

6D0E7573-D9D6-4503-8DAA-E6392C145B53.jpeg

Wild flowers??

35B8DEBC-DE5E-4244-B054-03EEC3565F88.jpeg

Dunno

A667F5E3-9019-493B-961B-6FADDF5068A2.jpeg

300 yards of this. Bluebells???

1573F544-2328-4B27-9C95-25E767F232EE.jpeg

Near 100% moss here.

HELP!!!

Edit: oh FFS. All randomly rotated - apologies. They are fine when viewed on my laptop

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Long bed = no clue

North facing = rock garden??

Here (and way beyond) be dragons = no clue.

Near bit sometimes floods (obviously), rest doesn’t. Leave well alone?

Gulp

Wild flowers??

Dunno

300 yards of this. Bluebells???

Near 100% moss here.

HELP!!!

Edit: oh FFS. All randomly rotated - apologies. They are fine when viewed on my laptop

Good one :thumbsup:

I'll leave it to the professionals. I traditionally take the position now of bemused bystander with the occasional 'you didn't want to do that' :wink:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Do I assume that you now live in East Anglia? I was going to offer to pop round and give you the benefit of my gardening wisdom, but East Anglia is a bit far away for me! If you're not, please let me know.
That looks one hell of a garden you've got there. Veg apart - which I don't do, the good news is that even if you don't do anything to the wilder looking bits, it will just tick over with no real problems. The more formal bit, leave well alone until the end of May as there may be some lovely stuff to come through over the next few months. Then you can see what you've got.
Keep posting regular photo updates on here. More advice will follow when we can see how things are, not just from me, but there are other really good gardeners on this thread. We'll guide you through!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here