Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Anyone doing the joe wicks workout?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Couldn't agree more. Those rotating squat jumps were a killer!

I am too portly to do the leg stretches on your hands, then jump up straight.

No chance

Doesn’t suit 17.5 st blokes

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Woke up feeling a bit flat today, so tried this on recommendation from you fine people.

Now I am sore, aching and flat.

I don't think of myself as massively unfit, but it's amazing how certain exercises can be more of a struggled than others, for example HIIT compared to running, or playing sports etc.

Will be trying to do this more moving forward, a good way to start or break up the day.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Woke up feeling a bit flat today, so tried this on recommendation from you fine people.

I don't think of myself as massively unfit, but it's amazing how certain exercises can be more of a struggled than others, for example HIIT compared to running, or playing sports etc.

Will be trying to do this more moving forward, a good way to start or break up the day.

Stick at it ...it will get better.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I also did this for the first time today, with the Mrs and our 13yo son. It was great. Will become a regular fixture.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
The weirdest thing is, the biggest health crisis for nearly a century could actually make the world more healthy. People are trying to get healthier just to stand a better chance against this virus. Now kids are off school and parents are joining in with their kids cardio, this could really help the fitness of our country.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Did my second HIIT workout today....not quite as "easy" (wrong word really) as yesterday owing to a degree of stiffness and aching muscles from yesterday's session...will stick at it as nothing better to do!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The weirdest thing is, the biggest health crisis for nearly a century could actually make the world more healthy. People are trying to get healthier just to stand a better chance against this virus. Now kids are off school and parents are joining in with their kids cardio, this could really help the fitness of our country.

Said exactly the same at home this morning. Zillions of free exercise classes of all types available, and many people joining in.

With many being a bit more frugal with their food due to fear of running out, and air quality/pollution likely to improve also - there could be a marked upturn in the overall health of the nation.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Mrs LLF did it yesterday, she can hardly move today :laugh:

And she does Zumba twice a week in normal times.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
First time I’ve done a workout in front of the TV.

Really good thing to do a 9am although trying to get my 4 year old involved was a struggle!

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I've had the DVD for a couple of years but it was only late last year that I thought I'd give it a proper go, there are 7 levels starting with the 5 min warm up, then for level 1 a 15 min workout (30 sec workout with 30sec rest in-between) then a 5 min cool down.
Plan was to do each level per month, so now on level 5, which is a 25 min workout, 40 sec per exercise with just 20 sec rest in-between!
It's bloody hard work but I feel fitter than I ever been for doing it. Once I didn't bother with the cool down and boy did I know about it the following day!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Dear Mr Wicks,

I appreciate everything you are trying to do with your 'P.E. with Joe' lessons every morning, but I do have some constructive criticism, if you wouldn't mind taking it on board for future lessons:

1. Stop pretending your target audience is the kids. I know this is meant to be in lieu of the P.E. lessons they would ordinarily be having at school, but most of them gave up on Monday (I know ours did), so the sooner you realise your audience is mostly made up of flabby middle-aged folk like me, who are only taking part because it is a welcome distraction from their own children / trying to work from home / watching daytime TV while eating biscuits by the packet, the better.

2. With that in mind, I have some recommendations for those of us who are badly out of shape and unaccustomed to fitness work-outs. While I suspect the women taking part have had the good sense to put on a sports bra each morning, a reminder for the men to perhaps wear something 'secure' downstairs wouldn't go amiss. I mistakenly took part in my loose fitting pyjama shorts this morning, and to say my junk was behaving erratically would be an understatement (especially during the 'bunny hops', where I honestly thought my wife was going to be sick in her mouth).

3. A similar warning for those of us over six foot tall would also be welcome. It's all well and good getting us to 'jump up and reach for the stars', but I very nearly punched an LED spotlight clean off our ceiling this morning, and those ****ers aren't cheap.

4. Equally, if you do acknowledge that most of us are not children, I suspect the 'bunny hops' and 'kangaroo jumps' may cease anyway, but, if they do continue, please warn us to do little jumps, as I alternated this morning between hitting my head on the ceiling, and sending my colossal weight crashing through the living room floorboards each time I landed.

5. That said, I quite liked the Spiderman moves (even though I couldn't get my knee all the way to the floor, so I looked less like Spiderman, and more like a geriatric pensioner bowling), but please bear in mind that advising us to jump up and bounce off the wall to our right only works if we actually have a wall next to us. I had an open door and, in the heat of the moment, I damn near went down the ****ing stairs.

Other than that, keep up the good work, and I'm sorry for calling you a 'sadistic cockney bellend' half way through the workout.

Yours

MRD x

Pinched off Facebook.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
We have a timetable for each day of the next two weeks with activities scheduled as they would be in class, a big bundle of resources and exercises and teachers available via Google Classroom.

It's very impressive what they put together in such a short period of time.

My other half works at the school that [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION]'s daughter attends. They didn't have Google Classroom in use at all, but rapidly deployed it last week ensuring all students could access it.

Would you like to add gardening to their curriculum? Side gate, there's petrol in the mower :wink:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Christ! That was a difficult one.

I can’t believe how much money over the years we have wasted on gyms.

We joined circle on the seafront and just do classes....for us much better than jumping on a cross trainer

Will look seriously at these online work outs....BAG does Adrienne’s yoga and absolutely loves it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This morning's PE lesson:

Active calories: 183
Total calories: 227
Average heart rate: 99bpm
Max heart rate: 118bpm

For comparison, a recent dog walk that lasted about the same amount of time:

Active calories: 126
Total calories: 170
Average heart rate: 90bpm
Max heart rate: 103bpm

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This morning's PE lesson:

Active calories: 183
Total calories: 227
Average heart rate: 99bpm
Max heart rate: 118bpm

For comparison, a recent dog walk that lasted about the same amount of time:

Active calories: 126
Total calories: 170
Average heart rate: 90bpm
Max heart rate: 103bpm

My heart rate went through the food according to the Apple Watch thing. Highest 138bpm and I was sweating like a huge sweating thing. Calories was 295 and active 240.

I got up to 18st recently and due to these exercises and drinking more water and walking on the downs in our allowed 1 exercise a day, I am down to 17.7 already.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
My heart rate went through the food according to the Apple Watch thing. Highest 138bpm and I was sweating like a huge sweating thing. Calories was 295 and active 240.

I got up to 18st recently and due to these exercises and drinking more water and walking on the downs in our allowed 1 exercise a day, I am down to 17.7 already.
I went from 16 5 to 15 2 in 3 weeks just by changing what foods I eat and adding some regular exercise, like jogging to work, this is helping magnificently to help me lose even more.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I went from 16 5 to 15 2 in 3 weeks just by changing what foods I eat and adding some regular exercise, like jogging to work, this is helping magnificently to help me lose even more.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Fantastic. Nice one

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here