Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2020

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Great!!! I hope he nails it. Pole and a win is all I ask of you George!!!!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Great news! Glad I was wrong on this one. This becomes a massive weekend for Bottas now. If Russell beats him or even gets close next years Merc contract will be his last. Russell, really, really needs to break the points monkey though. Here's hoping he does it with 26.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Great news! Glad I was wrong on this one. This becomes a massive weekend for Bottas now. If Russell beats him or even gets close next years Merc contract will be his last. Russell, really, really needs to break the points monkey though. Here's hoping he does it with 26.

Yeh, if Bottas loses to Russell that would be seriously embarrassing.

What was looking like a totally dull F1 non event is now certainly worth watching

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Cracking news for George, he's clearly got some talent to get that Williams into the sort of positions he's been getting it, so should be a fantastic opportunity for him

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Now I am interested in this weekend’s race again :thumbsup:

I expect him to win now he has the fastest car, otherwise I am writing him off as shitehouse. How hard is it to drive around in circles if you have the best car?

Now I need to know from [MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] what Jackie Stewart thinks of George Russell :wink:

Deffo the man to ask

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not mentioned that much, but regarding the steward who ran across the track during the live race on Sunday, that was an incredibly dumb arse move. There’s an horrific video on youtube of a steward who did that in 1977 at Kyalami, hit by an F1 car doing 170mph. The driver Tom Pryce died instantly too.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I know it is only FP1 but George is giving a good account of himself. Currently 0.176 ahead of Max who is in 2nd and 0.322 seconds ahead of Bottas.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Not mentioned that much, but regarding the steward who ran across the track during the live race on Sunday, that was an incredibly dumb arse move. There’s an horrific video on youtube of a steward who did that in 1977 at Kyalami, hit by an F1 car doing 170mph. The driver Tom Pryce died instantly too.
Of course under normal circumstances, you'd never do that. I understand its the first thing the marshals are told not to do.

However this was the opening lap and the last car that crashed and he calculated he should ignore this golden rule and get to grosjean. He had a minute and a half to cross the track. Grosjean had seconds. Correct call under incredible circumstances

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Which reopens the question, is it the driver or is it the car?
A driver who never troubles the leaders, except when being lapped, and currently has zero points is put in a different car and is up front.
Wish him luck.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Of course under normal circumstances, you'd never do that. I understand its the first thing the marshals are told not to do.

However this was the opening lap and the last car that crashed and he calculated he should ignore this golden rule and get to grosjean. He had a minute and a half to cross the track. Grosjean had seconds. Correct call under incredible circumstances

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The marshal who crossed the track when the Racing Point of Sergio Perez caught fire near the end of the race did not make the correct call according to F1's race director. You can see why:

racefansdotnet-norris-marshal.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A driver who never troubles the leaders, except when being lapped, and currently has zero points is put in a different car and is up front.
Wish him luck.

All will become clear in the pressure of qualifying and more so during the actual race

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wish him luck.

F1 has always been about the car as much as the driver, hence there is a constructor's championship. Lewis Hamilton isn't going to win Championships in a Haas or Williams and equally Magnussen or Grosjean aren't winning the Championship if they were in a Mercedes. Russell is a young driver who has shown huge potential in previous forumlas and in the Williams. Those that know know who is driving the wheels off their respective car's capabilities and who isn't. Russell has been put in the seat because he is thought to have the talent. I would think it would be incredible for him to be in any of the front two rows, or finish in the top 4. Time will tell.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Wish him luck.

It really doesn't, George Russell is a supremely talented driver who has never been beaten by his team mate in qualifying over 2 years, an F2 champion and looks as if he is being lined up as Lewis' long term replacement, certainly Valtteri's in the short term, if he wasn't contracted to Williams next year he'd have a Mercedes drive full time.

If it was a case of the car being the deciding factor then surely it would be a Mercedes 1-2 every week unless one of them breaks down, it isn't.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The marshal who crossed the track when the Racing Point of Sergio Perez caught fire near the end of the race did not make the correct call according to F1's race director. You can see why:

View attachment 131069

This marshall certainly didn't make the right call no

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
This marshall certainly didn't make the right call no

The Marshall had some balls that’s for sure. In the context of the fire earlier in the race I think I can understand why he did it.

Michael Massi race directors comments;

“There was obviously another fire with Sergio Perez’s car and a fire marshal reacted on his own instinct without any instruction and just saw fire,” Masi explained. “And I would have said, particularly under the circumstances of what happened earlier, the priority was to put the fire out.”
However he stressed all marshals will be reminded of the requirement not to cross the circuit.

“The marshals have a very clear instruction,” he said. “We’ve already debriefed about it immediately and will remind everyone you shouldn’t cross the track.”

“We’ll reiterate that again for next week and get through,” he added. “I think in the circumstances, is it great? No, it’s not. But he sees a fire and he goes to put it out. So I don’t think we can castrate anyone, so to speak, for wanting to go and put a fire out, particularly after what we saw earlier and the enormity of the fire.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here