Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
According to the Mrs who has just stuck her head out of the window to tell me that the Scientist's have now confirmed the pandemic is over. Not sure how they come to that conclusion but happy to hear it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
According to the Mrs who has just stuck her head out of the window to tell me that the Scientist's have now confirmed the pandemic is over. Not sure how they come to that conclusion but happy to hear it.

Yep, long article in the DT today - was posted earlier I think but here's an extract :

Britain is no longer in a pandemic, experts have said, as new data showed the vaccination programme is reducing symptomatic Covid infections by up to 90 per cent.

In the first large real-world study of the impact of vaccination on the general population, researchers found that the rollout is having a major impact on cutting both symptomatic and asymptomatic cases.

Sarah Walker, Professor of Medical Statistics and Epidemiology at Oxford and Chief Investigator on the Office for National Statistics Covid-19 Infection Survey, said that Britain had ‘moved from a pandemic to an endemic situation’ where the virus is circulating at a low, largely controllable level in the community.

The new research, based on throat swabs from 373,402 people between December 1 last year and April 3, found three weeks after one dose of either the Pfizer or AstraZeneca jab, symptomatic infections fell by 74 per cent and infections without symptoms by 57 per cent.

Also, this is worth a read

The public should be able to ditch face masks over the summer as vaccines do the heavy lifting in controlling Covid-19, Government scientific advisers believe.

Step four of the Government's road map for England currently states that all legal limits on social contact will be removed by June 21 at the earliest, when restrictions on large events such as festivals are also expected to ease.

Scientists advising the Government say there is nothing currently in the data to suggest that people will not be able to enjoy a relatively normal summer, though coronavirus cases may well rise as the autumn approaches.

Asked about mask-wearing in the coming months, one source said that vaccines are working so well, and there is such good vaccine uptake among members of the public, that things will return to much more like normal life over the summer months, with cases dropping very low, particularly in May.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

must be as my work now officially open for all staff from first week may with many ordered in.

Not good news but for some it might be

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Yep, long article in the DT today - was posted earlier I think but here's an extract :

Britain is no longer in a pandemic, experts have said, as new data showed the vaccination programme is reducing symptomatic Covid infections by up to 90 per cent.

In the first large real-world study of the impact of vaccination on the general population, researchers found that the rollout is having a major impact on cutting both symptomatic and asymptomatic cases.

Sarah Walker, Professor of Medical Statistics and Epidemiology at Oxford and Chief Investigator on the Office for National Statistics Covid-19 Infection Survey, said that Britain had ‘moved from a pandemic to an endemic situation’ where the virus is circulating at a low, largely controllable level in the community.

The new research, based on throat swabs from 373,402 people between December 1 last year and April 3, found three weeks after one dose of either the Pfizer or AstraZeneca jab, symptomatic infections fell by 74 per cent and infections without symptoms by 57 per cent.

Also, this is worth a read

The public should be able to ditch face masks over the summer as vaccines do the heavy lifting in controlling Covid-19, Government scientific advisers believe.

Step four of the Government's road map for England currently states that all legal limits on social contact will be removed by June 21 at the earliest, when restrictions on large events such as festivals are also expected to ease.

Scientists advising the Government say there is nothing currently in the data to suggest that people will not be able to enjoy a relatively normal summer, though coronavirus cases may well rise as the autumn approaches.

Asked about mask-wearing in the coming months, one source said that vaccines are working so well, and there is such good vaccine uptake among members of the public, that things will return to much more like normal life over the summer months, with cases dropping very low, particularly in May.

Thanks for that, little more information than I got from the wife :) as she shouted from the window

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
More of the same numbers-wise, all continue on the right path :

Infections - 2,678, rolling 7 day down 4.1%
Deaths - 40, rolling 7 day down 12.4%
Admissions - 174, rolling 7 day down 20.2%
Jabs - 117k 1st & 417k 2nd, 33.4m & 11.6m cumulative
In hospital - 1,879 (21/4)

Hospital admissions in England for latest data (20/04) are 98 - first time under 100 since the beginning of September, down from a peak of 4134 on 12th Jan

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sorry - No bad news again today - as we are at 1000 new symptomatic cases per day - mostly in the younger population and 33M people vaccinated. To put in context around 1000 people get diagnosed with cancer each day in the UK. Thanks for logging and supporting us and ZOE app!

[tweet]1385646241355378692[/tweet]

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
rasta zenica b.jpg

The new Jamaican vaccine from ......... Rasta Zenica.
Not as effective as some on the market, but after 2 doses you don't give a f***

Attachments

• rasta zenica.jpg
    rasta zenica.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 245

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not actually covid related, but these guys are beyond brilliant......

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-...-covid-jab-develops-landmark-malaria-vaccine/

The end of malaria is one step closer as the team behind the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine has developed the first jab against the mosquito-borne disease to show more than 75 per cent efficacy.

Scientists at Oxford University’s Jenner Institute have published preliminary results from a phase two trial in 450 children in Burkina Faso that show the vaccine - called R21 - is 77 per cent effective against malaria.

This is the first vaccine to achieve such a high efficacy rate against a disease that kills roughly 400,000 people in sub Saharan Africa every year, more than half of whom are children under the age of five.

The Serum Institute of India - which is manufacturing the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine and is the largest producer of vaccines in the world - has agreed to make the jab as soon as it gains approval. Researchers hope this means the vaccine will be available at large scale and low cost.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Strangely as a 50 year old and on the 6 week anniversary of my first jab, I have just been invited to book my second one. The website mentions 12 weeks but then only offered me next Saturday with appointments all day. My surgery must be really blasting through them. Feel a bit guilty but I have to respond to my invite and if they don't let me choose another date then who am I to query it?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Strangely as a 50 year old and on the 6 week anniversary of my first jab, I have just been invited to book my second one. The website mentions 12 weeks but then only offered me next Saturday with appointments all day. My surgery must be really blasting through them. Feel a bit guilty but I have to respond to my invite and if they don't let me choose another date then who am I to query it?

Mine was 4 weeks apart, and I’m 35 years old and physically fit other than for a minor heart condition I didn’t even know I had until it was picked up during a routine scan. I felt guilty too, particularly as it meant I’d had my second jab before my parents in their 70s had had theirs and before my wife has had a single dose (she’s still some way down the pecking order).

Just embrace the fact that you’re another fully vaccinated person ticked off the list and another important milestone in this country’s recovery from the pandemic. Good luck to you!

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Me and my missus getting our second jabs this pm.

Youngest Potting (17) got her "call up" for her first vaccination this morning as, like her dad she has asthma of the extremely mild variety and an inhaler which she sometimes remembers to use. By a considerable way she was the youngest in the queue at our local centre.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Numbers update :

Infections - 1,712, rolling 7 day down 4.6%
Deaths - 11, rolling 7 day down 12.6%
Admissions - 132, rolling 7 day down 21.3%
Jabs - 142k 1st and 498k 2nd, 33.7m & 12.6m cumulative
In hospital - 1,712 (22/4)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here