Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The game changer is the J&J single dose vaccine. It’s efficacy is around 64% which is deemed suitable for the not at risk group. Reduces the number of jabs by 20million or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry to take all of the fantastic news on vaccines particularly recently but I thought Oxford AZ had done some more research in their own jab and found that efficacy on a single jab of theirs was above 75%?? In which case can't this be rolled out as a single jab once the 30m deemed at serious to moderate risk have had their two doses?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Data update :

Positive cases again below 20,000 - 19,202 and down 25.1% on rolling 7 day period
Hospitalizations 2,651 and down 22.2% on 7 day rolling period - trend is accelerating now in line with what we've seen over the last couple of weeks with infections
Death rate also now in a clear, accelerating downward trend on rolling 7 day numbers with a 13.4% drop reported today
First dose vaccinations were 375k - over 60k ahead of last Tuesday's number and over 10 million have now had their first dose

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

Stumpy Tim

Sorry to take all of the fantastic news on vaccines particularly recently but I thought Oxford AZ had done some more research in their own jab and found that efficacy on a single jab of theirs was above 75%?? In which case can't this be rolled out as a single jab once the 30m deemed at serious to moderate risk have had their two doses?

I believe it's 75% for 12 weeks, but then needs the booster (or hasn't been trialled without the booster)

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Interesting that all parameters appear to be dropping at similarly steep rates, with expected lag behind from reduction of infections>Hospitalisations>deaths

E418A5FA-490F-4ED6-8AE9-95A12744C5FF.jpegB749CBFF-D7BC-4CD9-8315-6D0977D5F8D3.jpegE4B96E0C-D59A-4A7D-B4B0-6DCDC4CD31E9.jpeg

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Took a phone call today from the local doctors surgery for the ex wife’s appointment ..booked her in for a jab this Saturday must let her know about it :whistle:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Sage are usually ones to cast gloom on any positivity but...

Prof Andrew Hayward - a member of the UK government's Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) - says that, once the most vulnerable in society have been vaccinated, a return to normality is within reach.

He tells BBC Radio 4's Today Programme: "Once the most vulnerable people, particularly those over 50 and those with chronic illnesses, are vaccinated then yes I think we can see a significant return to normality.

"That, in addition to the fact coronavirus is a seasonal disease, I think will make a big difference and allow us to open up.

"I think what we'll see is a phased opening up as the vaccination levels increase, and then we will be more or less back to normal for the summer, I would imagine."

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Sage are usually ones to cast gloom on any positivity but...

Prof Andrew Hayward - a member of the UK government's Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) - says that, once the most vulnerable in society have been vaccinated, a return to normality is within reach.

He tells BBC Radio 4's Today Programme: "Once the most vulnerable people, particularly those over 50 and those with chronic illnesses, are vaccinated then yes I think we can see a significant return to normality.

"That, in addition to the fact coronavirus is a seasonal disease, I think will make a big difference and allow us to open up.

"I think what we'll see is a phased opening up as the vaccination levels increase, and then we will be more or less back to normal for the summer, I would imagine."

If we can keep it normal through next winter we'll have done a phenomenal job

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Around one in 10 major hospital trusts in England had no spare adult critical care beds last week, NHS England figures show.

A total of 15 out of 140 acute trusts reported 100% occupancy of all "open" beds each day from 25-31 January.

These included University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust, one of the largest trusts in England, along with Brighton & Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust and Portsmouth Hospitals University NHS Trust.

The figure is down slightly on 18 out of 140 acute trusts that reported 100% occupancy of critical care beds each day from 18-24 January.

This is good news as well, but even last week it means 9 out of 10 hospitals did have spare capacity, so why the negative spin ??

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
39 more mass vaccinations centres opened this week, total of 89 now.

[TWEET]1357309097268363270[/TWEET]

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Around one in 10 major hospital trusts in England had no spare adult critical care beds last week, NHS England figures show.

A total of 15 out of 140 acute trusts reported 100% occupancy of all "open" beds each day from 25-31 January.

These included University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust, one of the largest trusts in England, along with Brighton & Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust and Portsmouth Hospitals University NHS Trust.

The figure is down slightly on 18 out of 140 acute trusts that reported 100% occupancy of critical care beds each day from 18-24 January.

This is good news as well, but even last week it means 9 out of 10 hospitals did have spare capacity, so why the negative spin ??

Is it possibly that you are looking for the negative angle here? This is factual reporting.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
My georgeous wife has just had her jab - it is such a relief to know she is safer now. Frustratingly I have to wait for a break in my chemo before I am allowed. But as the wife picks up anything we can’t get delivered we are in a far better place today! Thanks to the wonderful teams who developed the vaccines, volunteeres involved in the trails, and the volunteers and medical staff dishing the vaccines out!

An update: Spoke with the oncologist earlier and he has sanctioned me getting my wee jab this weekend. All booked. So we will finally both be somewhat safer - thanks again to both those listed in my original post and I am sure to many many more groups of people involved in the vaccine process who I did not call out. Bless each and every one of you.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
An update: Spoke with the oncologist earlier and he has sanctioned me getting my wee jab this weekend. All booked. So we will finally both be somewhat safer - thanks again to both those listed in my original post and I am sure to many many more groups of people involved in the vaccine process who I did not call out. Bless each and every one of you.

Great news. All the very best to you and your wife.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
1300 jabs being delivered to our smallish town - population 19,000 (thats all ages) on Saturday. That is an incredible number of people vaccinated in a single day. I wonder if there is going to be another big push this weekend

Ive volunteered to marshal on Saturday pm - I hope the forecast snow doesn't arrive

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Daily data update :

First jabs - 469k approx, an enormous 150k UP on the number reported last Thursday. Just under 10.5m now have first doses.
Infections - 20,634, weekly 7 day rolling period DOWN 25.75% (important to note number of tests are UP 9%)
Hospitalisations - 2,375 - weekly 7 day rolling period DOWN 23.1%
Deaths - DOWN 16.6% in weekly 7 day rolling period

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here