Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
1 case per 100,000 people in East Sussex
2 cases per 100,000 people in West Sussex
2 cases per 100,000 people in Brighton and Hove

That's between 31st July-6th August.

saulth

May 28, 2020
This guy speaks a lot of sense and I consider what he says very reliable.

Attachments

• IMG_20200811_114435.jpg
    IMG_20200811_114435.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 248

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hmm, I'm putting this in here with a pretty big caveat. I'm guessing they must have used challenge trials to push this through so quickly.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has announced that Russia has registered the world's first vaccine for coronavirus.

Despite earlier scepticism from health experts and a warning from the World Health Organization to follow established protocols, Health Minister Mikhail Murashko declared that the vaccine was "proven to be highly effective and safe" and Mr Putin said it had "passed all the required checks".

The minister added that trials of the vaccine would continue, involving thousands of people.

Mr Putin said one of his daughters had used the vaccine, and that she was fine after having had an increase in temperature.

Many other vaccines are currently undergoing trials in a number of countries. Earlier this month, US infectious diseases expert Anthony Fauci said he hoped Russia was "actually testing the vaccine" before giving it to anyone.

We shall see over the coming weeks and months. Progress on vaccines in general is good news, however.

saulth

May 28, 2020
My initial thoughts were that they might have used... ehm... ethically questionable trials. No clue, honestly. Let's hope it's just what they announce, it would be a massive feat.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
My initial thoughts were that they might have used... ehm... ethically questionable trials. No clue, honestly. Let's hope it's just what they announce, it would be a massive feat.

I have read further into it - it seems that it was registered as Putin simply wanted the political boost of being first.

The vaccine is still proceeding with Phase III trials as with plenty of other vaccines. They are allowing emergency use for certain people but it isn't being rolled out for the general population until likely around January 2021.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Hmm, I'm putting this in here with a pretty big caveat. I'm guessing they must have used challenge trials to push this through so quickly.

We shall see over the coming weeks and months. Progress on vaccines in general is good news, however.

Good to exercise caution with the Russians, they have form:

[TWEET]1293145322773000193[/TWEET]

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

From what I have read they have cut out the third human trial stage which is probably the most important one and is the one the Oxford vaccine is going through now in Brazil and South Africa. This is where the volunteers dont know if they are getting a real vaccine or not. That way the placebo cases can be compared against the real vaccine and it actually shows if it works or not. They also check on any side effects and again it is more accurate with that because of the placebo cases.

TLDR they cut out the test to see if it actually works on humans but it wont kill you just might make you too complacent.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Public Health England has changed its definition of deaths.*The new definition*is now death in a person with a laboratory-confirmed positive COVID-19 test and died within (equal to or less than) 28 days of the first positive specimen date will now be reported

What this means is that England has had 36,695 deaths using this definition as opposed to the previous reported 42,072 – a difference of 5,377.

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/public-health-england-death-data-revised/

New reporting method would have meant zero deaths on 30th July.

saulth

May 28, 2020
About the Russian vaccine:

“We were just fortunate that the coronavirus was very close to MERS, so we pretty much had a ready-to-go vaccine on MERS, studied for two years on MERS (and) slightly modified to be the coronavirus vaccine, and that is the real story, no politics ... Russia has always been at the forefront of vaccine research,” Kirill Dmitriev, CEO of Russia’s sovereign wealth fund RDIF, which is backing the vaccine, told CNBC.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Some bullish and positive talk from the German Health Minister, Jens Spahn;

The world is certain to have a coronavirus vaccine in 2021, if not within the next few months, the German health minister has said. “Thanks to us all working together – researchers, scientists, the public – we will probably have a vaccine faster than ever before in the history of humanity,” Jens Spahn added.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here