Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
To be fair, shortly after 1945 we created the welfare state and National Health Service. We were still pillaging the environment but at least we learned to think of others. For a bit.

You're right on a localised scale, I was thinking more globally. The years after 1945 being the time when major superpowers basically accumulated enough weaponry to wipe out humanity dozens of times over.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Maybe I'm biased cos Sikora has actively campaigned against the NHS in the past but I don't think he's a great source of information. I'm not sure his hope-for-the-masses schtick is gonna look wise in hindsight, long-term.

I’m not sure you’ve got the hang of this thread :whistle:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
36309BE2-DDE9-4053-85A1-075F8E5ED3B9.jpeg

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
No, my understanding is aligned with your own. Vallance mentioned the numbers a week from now being our guide as to the effectiveness of current actions several times in today's press conference.

The only factor I can think of that would lengthen that expected timeframe is the question of transmission within households. My assumption would be that at point of lockdown a lot of people would be infected but yet to show symptoms. These could then, initially, still infect several people within their household (in fact the lockdown might make such transmission quicker/more likely). So you would get a slowdown, but not, potentially R<1 initially. That would come a week or so later, when everyone in the households of infected people will be infected (if they are going to be) and then do not pass on to anyone else outside the household. So I can see a more gradually tail off in infection rate in the first week or so post lockdown, which could then be reflected in the subsequent pattern as laid out.

No idea if that logic holds (?). But it means in my mind, a slightly more delayed impact doesn't mean the lockdown isn't working.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
The Coronavirus Good News thread !!J

Just driven past an Ambulance with flashing light. My thoughts were oh dear. A couple walking stood and clapped Ambulance. Brilliant !!!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I was just in Morrison's. As I got toward joining the snaking queue round to going through to the checkouts, the shop worker directing people into it started to sing along and dance to 'Celebration' by Kool and The Gang as it came on the in store radio. Everyone who saw him do it smiled. :)

Brilliant little things like this do help.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I was just in Morrison's. As I got toward joining the snaking queue round to going through to the checkouts, the shop worker directing people into it started to sing along and dance to 'Celebration' by Kool and The Gang as it came on the in store radio. Everyone who saw him do it smiled. :)

Brilliant little things like this do help.

Considering five weeks ago, they would have tutted quietly to themselves while trying to avoid eye contact with said happy person, all the time thinking this is why they work in a supermarket.

Sad but true.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Considering five weeks ago, they would have tutted quietly to themselves while trying to avoid eye contact with said happy person, all the time thinking this is why they work in a supermarket.

Sad but true.

Not all, but you're right, however the genuine appreciation of shop staff has gone off the scale now from what I see when I'm shopping. I received and read in CEO Mike Coupe's email to Sainsbury's customers last week, that satisfaction of colleagues in store is now at an all time high.

I smiled and thanked the cashier in Morrison's, wearing a mask and gloves, at the check out as profusely as I could at the end and I wasn't the only one doing it. However long this lasts and whatever the aftermath, I hope the appreciation and respect toward shop workers stays for good.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
In my uneducated opinion, I agree with you. The infection rate obviously won’t have dropped off a cliff post-lockdown. There will still be a lot of infection within households as you say, plus key workers and rule breakers are still transmitting the disease even now.

As a comparison, Italy locked down on 9th March, had its peak death total of 919 on 27th March and has been gradually falling since then. Yesterday it was on 604 deaths. So it’s good news in terms of trends, but it’s still a lot of deaths even now 11 days later.

Random antibody testing by an Italian lab is apparently indicating 38% of Italians (from across all 9 regions) have been exposed to the virus....if validated this means the virus has spread far more widely and the death/serious infection rate is much lower than thought.

https://www.liberoquotidiano.it/new...italiani_dieci_reale_estensione_epidemia.html

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
That's really interesting news. i really hope it's accurate. It's a study done by a manufacturer, so I have some scepticism, but if true that's a huge number and the UK is probably not too far behind

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Game changer.

If true, and replicated in other countries, that’s surely enough for life to get pretty much back to normal. Doesn’t herd immunity work at 60%? Italy could reach that in a week or two.

No, the more infectious a disease is the higher proportion of people need to have had it. If that many people have had it then it's very infectious... I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here