Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's not beyond reasonable expectations that this could be used for International travel too. No country will want people coming in who could be infected and start spreading it in their country, so it could be that countries expect those crossing their border to either:

- Present a trusted certificate to illustrate they are Covid-19 safe, or
- Quarantine for 14 days upon arrival (South Korea are doing this already I believe) - which essentially kills tourism.

If reliable and not able to be abused, it would appear the best way to revive worldwide tourism, which will desperately need it.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Wimbledon cancelled

Great news for Mrs Brown's Boys fans as the BBC need to fill their June schedules

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Wimbledon cancelled

Great news for Mrs Brown's Boys fans as the BBC need to fill their June schedules

I thought this was meant to be a good news thread! Shirley the beeb could find something better than this? Wasn't there a potters' wheel back in the day? Or that test card with the little girl? Actually they'll probably fill the missing action with footage of Cliff Richard singing to the crowd when it rained. Maybe Mrs Brown's Boys is not so bad after all...…………..

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1245290166463455232[/TWEET]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Germany seem to be intending to introduce some sort of "Covid-19 safe" certificate, ie the holder has been officially tested and found to have already had the virus.

Based on that, I wonder if we could see a two-tier society in coming month, given the broad expectation that if you've had it once you can't get it again (or if you can it's very mild). Other countries may all follow a similar route to Germany where, essentially, you have a certificate that illustrates you have had it and are now "safe". The two tiers would be:

- Those that have had it (ie been tested and shown to have antibodies)
- Those that have not had it

It's not beyond reasonable expectations that this could be used for International travel too. No country will want people coming in who could be infected and start spreading it in their country, so it could be that countries expect those crossing their border to either:

- Quarantine for 14 days upon arrival (South Korea are doing this already I believe) - which essentially kills tourism.

I was wondering that - certificate and freedom if you've had it, if you haven't you can be mobile but as soon as you get symptoms you get tested and if positive you go into isolation. Tracking used (as in S Korea) to notify anyone you've been into contact with. Not sure how feasible this is here though. At some point we'll reach 'herd immunity' I guess and the anyone catching it will just be treated on the basis the majority of people they come into contact with will already have had it. Getting <1 is a big deal - if people continue to respect the distancing as now we'll be seeing the benefits quite rapidly within a couple of weeks based on what I've read.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I was wondering that - certificate and freedom if you've had it, if you haven't you can be mobile but as soon as you get symptoms you get tested and if positive you go into isolation. Tracking used (as in S Korea) to notify anyone you've been into contact with. Not sure how feasible this is here though. At some point we'll reach 'herd immunity' I guess and the anyone catching it will just be treated on the basis the majority of people they come into contact with will already have had it. Getting <1 is a big deal - if people continue to respect the distancing as now we'll be seeing the benefits quite rapidly within a couple of weeks based on what I've read.

I can certainly see the equivalent of a yellow fever certificate if you want to travel overseas in the future once a vaccine is available.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Germany seem to be intending to introduce some sort of "Covid-19 safe" certificate, ie the holder has been officially tested and found to have already had the virus.

Based on that, I wonder if we could see a two-tier society in coming month, given the broad expectation that if you've had it once you can't get it again (or if you can it's very mild). Other countries may all follow a similar route to Germany where, essentially, you have a certificate that illustrates you have had it and are now "safe". The two tiers would be:

But, we are being told the anti bodies you build up, if you have been infected stay in your body for a certain time, which obviously we don’t really know until time and studies show us, plus the virus mutates.

Would that not render any pass, a they should be ok pass, not an all clear to travel anywhere or do anything.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
My institution put out a request for data analysts and data mining people to help/volunteer.

I have never seen such a huge response in 22 years. This has brought out so much good in
people it's unreal.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Great idea if you can stop them being stolen / forged / traded. Worthless otherwise.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Great idea if you can stop them being stolen / forged / traded. Worthless otherwise.

You'd hope to assume that they will be very hard to forge and distribute at short notice, and that anyone caught doing so will be put into prison for a very, very long time.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The figures must be down overall, but there are a noticeable amount of lunatics now on country roads assuming there is no traffic coming the other way and driving like they are on a grand prix circuit.

Although driving my truck through the high streets, the amount of people who just step into the road to keep social distance without looking is amazing

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
This has provided the conspiracy theorists so many wonderful ideas. I just discovered a facebook page called film your hospitals. Its goal is to prove that hospitals are all really empty and this is all geared to far more sinister outcomes

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This has provided the conspiracy theorists so many wonderful ideas. I just discovered a facebook page called film your hospitals. Its goal is to prove that hospitals are all really empty and this is all geared to far more sinister outcomes

Farage has just released one of his broadcasts to the nation in his pjs on YouTube and some of the comments there :facepalm:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Farage has just released one of his broadcasts to the nation in his pjs on YouTube and some of the comments there :facepalm:

Bit more info/links, please? (or I can just use my imagination...)

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
BBC America showing Python marathon this evening - seen them all many times but still a welcome distraction.

In some ways their insane world is more sane than our current one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here