Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

saulth

May 28, 2020
The Papa Giovanni XXIII hospital in Bergamo (Italy) doesn't have any covid-19 patient in ICU for the first time since late February. I think this is an impressive milestone for the hardest hit city in the world.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Is there any quantifiable estimate on this, i.e. what percentage of the population is still at risk of getting Covid-19 considering antibody and T-cell immunity?

Such new and evolving science, have seen all sorts of different levels being touted.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Latest from ONS

We estimate that an average of 1 in 3,900 individuals within the community population in England had COVID-19 at any given time between 22 June and 5 July 2020.

Our latest estimates indicate that at any given time during the two weeks from 22 June to 5 July 2020, an average of 14,000 people in England had the coronavirus (COVID-19) (95% confidence interval: 5,000 to 31,000)1. This equates to 0.03% (95% confidence interval: 0.01% to 0.06%) of the population in England or around 1 in 3,900 individuals. This estimate is based on swab tests collected from 25,662 participants, of which eight individuals from eight different households tested positive for COVID-19.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
22 UK Hospital deaths recorded today - 42 last Friday.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
48 deaths in all settings, down from 137 last Friday. Seems a very low number for a Friday when PHE normally add their highest community death total. Also only 500 new infections again, average still coming down nicely.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
48 deaths in all settings, down from 137 last Friday. Seems a very low number for a Friday when PHE normally add their highest community death total. Also only 500 new infections again, average still coming down nicely.

These figures continue to be very encouraging. We are getting to the point where soon single figures and the possibility of days with ZERO deaths are recorded . The catch ups after weekends also are becoming less of a large number.

Next weeks confirmed cases are I think a major milestone, following last weekends opening of pubs etc. If there is no substantial rise by this time next week then even the most pessimistic must see that we are finally coming to the end of the first and hopefuully only wave. If that is the case then the recovery can start to begin in earnest, as peoples confidence in going about their business pretty much as normal (as can be) will really start to rise

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
These figures continue to be very encouraging. We are getting to the point where soon single figures and the possibility of days with ZERO deaths are recorded . The catch ups after weekends also are becoming less of a large number.

Next weeks confirmed cases are I think a major milestone, following last weekends opening of pubs etc. If there is no substantial rise by this time next week then even the most pessimistic must see that we are finally coming to the end of the first and hopefuully only wave. If that is the case then the recovery can start to begin in earnest, as peoples confidence in going about their business pretty much as normal (as can be) will really start to rise

Yes, although incubation period with the virus can be as much as 10/14 days it’s most commonly 3-5 days when you get symptoms so the next few days will be interesting infection rate wise and 111 call data reports will tell us what impact pubs etc have had, I think there may be a small impact. So far we seem to have escaped any damage infection rate wise, even with all the Karen’s moaning about packed beaches and other in incidents. Fingers crossed 🤞

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes, although incubation period with the virus can be as much as 10/14 days it’s most commonly 3-5 days when you get symptoms so the next few days will be interesting infection rate wise and 111 call data reports will tell us what impact pubs etc have had, I think there may be a small impact. So far we seem to have escaped any damage infection rate wise, even with all the Karen’s moaning about packed beaches and other in incidents. Fingers crossed 🤞

Agree with all that ..although now at this late stage BJ is considering face coverings for shops hmmm

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Agree with all that ..although now at this late stage BJ is considering face coverings for shops hmmm

Like the late introduction of the quarantine when entering the Country, it’s important for the Government that they can say they took these measures in any future inquiries or discussions. They are hoping the fact that it’ll come about 5 months too late is ignored by the type of person who votes for them due to a 3 word slogan. I suppose it’s still good news they might be doing it as it could help prevent a second spike.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I wouldn’t say it’s too late for face coverings, shops only opened back up to a degree on June 15th so if we are seeing that shop workers are more vulnerable to getting the virus now, then it’s right to look at face masks being enforced in retail shops.

Not the discussion for this thread though, as you can see above just ends up in mud throwing. Let’s keep this to good news :thumbsup:

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade

Good luck with that. I caught a bus from Sainsbury’s today, an elderly Chinese woman got on the bus, laughing and joking with the driver, with no mask! Needless to say, myself and other passengers all glared at her, through our masks! Usually it’s the over 50 year old men that think it doesn’t apply to them.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I wouldn’t say it’s too late for face coverings, shops only opened back up to a degree on June 15th so if we are seeing that shop workers are more vulnerable to getting the virus now, then it’s right to look at face masks being enforced in retail shops.

Not the discussion for this thread though, as you can see above just ends up in mud throwing. Let’s keep this to good news :thumbsup:

Sorry Wizz that’s my fault

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Off topic.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Face coverings will mean the end of distancing.....all part of the plan I suspect

I did partially listen to an article on the radio earlier this week that suggested if crowds were to reappear in football stadiums on a reduced capacity basis it would be with face coverings

Now good news although not Covid ...Darkwolfs post copied across

“Remember that feeling when the final whistle went against Wigan, and we knew we were promoted (nearly)...

Well, today I had that feeling again.”

My wife has been given the all clear, her chemotherapy has killed off her cancer. For now!

She still has some residual tumour, to be removed by radiotherapy and has to undergo bi-monthly chemo sessions to hopefully stop the cancer from coming back...

We are realists, we know it will come back.

But today is a good day! A very good day...!

Last edited:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I did partially listen to an article on the radio earlier this week that suggested if crowds were to reappear in football stadiums on a reduced capacity basis it would be with face coverings

Now good news although not Covid ...Darkwolfs post copied across

Remember that feeling when the final whistle went against Wigan, and we knew we were promoted (nearly)...

Well, today I had that feeling again.

My wife has been given the all clear, her chemotherapy has killed off her cancer. For now!

She still has some residual tumour, to be removed by radiotherapy and has to undergo bi-monthly chemo sessions to hopefully stop the cancer from coming back...

We are realists, we know it will come back.

But today is a good day! A very good day...!

That’s fantastic news any day of the week. Good luck with the next stage

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here