Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The government do seem to have stolen a march on the rest of the world here. The early approval of the vaccine, and the pre-ordering looks like they have finally got something right first go (early days I know). We look to become the first Western country to begin a large scale vaccination, and so should be the first to see the benefits .If the Oxford Vaccine gets approval in the next week or so, we could well find ourselves embarking on a countrywide, general vaccination quite soon after Christmas.

With the first immunisations taking place next week to the most at risk, (90+% of all covid deaths are in this group), we should see a massive reduction in hospitalisations and deaths start to become apparant around Christmas/New Year.

How different things look from just a few weeks ago

As an added bonus, Trump is FUMING [emoji23][emoji23]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
GPs have now been told to be ready to start inoculating from Monday 14th December, ie smaller, more localised places rather than just the 53 hub hospitals etc.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
GPs have now been told to be ready to start inoculating from Monday 14th December, ie smaller, more localised places rather than just the 53 hub hospitals etc.

Politics aside, I think it is fantastic the way the country has mobilised to be getting so close to giving out our first vaccines within only a couple of weeks of the announcement.

NHS, teaching staff, care workers etc have been lauded over the past months and quite rightly so. Let’s also give a shout to the army, police and other services who are the logistics experts.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
There will be a moment soon when the tide will turn on the virus and the situation will only continue to get better, and better, and better.
I think it's already happened. There may be a bit of a reversal in end-january and February, like November, but less pronounced - but we are not going backwards from here.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Bloody hell that's fast! Where did you see this Mellotron? (btw look out for your posts re: covid, like to let you do all the leg work :thumbsup: )

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The NHS will begin vaccinating patients against coronavirus at dozens of hospital hubs from this week at the start of the biggest immunisation programme in history.

People aged 80 and over as well as care home workers will be first to receive the jab, along with NHS workers who are at higher risk.

NHS staff are working through the weekend to prepare for the launch of the programme with the first vaccinations happening from TUESDAY.

There are 50 hubs in the first wave and more hospitals will start vaccinating over the coming weeks and months as the programme ramps up.

Patients aged 80 and above who are already attending hospital as an outpatient, and those who are being discharged home after a hospital stay, will be among the first to receive the life-saving jab.

Hospitals will also begin inviting over 80s in for a jab and work with care home providers to book their staff in to vaccination clinics.

Any appointments not used for these groups will be used for healthcare workers who are at highest risk of serious illness from covid. All those vaccinated will need a booster jab 21 days later.

GPs and other primary care staff are also being put on standby to start delivering the jab. A small number of GP-led primary care networks will begin doing so during the following week (week beginning 14 December) with more practices in more parts of the country joining in on a phased basis during December and in the coming months.

Vaccination centres treating large numbers of patients in sporting venues and conference centres will subsequently stand up when further supplies of vaccine come on stream.

Professor Stephen Powis, NHS national medical director, said: “Despite the huge complexities, hospitals will kickstart the first phase of the largest scale vaccination campaign in our country’s history from Tuesday. The first tranche of vaccine deliveries will be landing at hospitals by Monday in readiness.

The NHS has a strong record of delivering large scale vaccination programmes – from the flu jab, HPV vaccine and lifesaving MMR jabs – hardworking staff will once again rise to the challenge to protect the most vulnerable people from this awful disease.”

The life-saving vaccine is typically delivered by a simple injection in the shoulder but there is a complex and difficult logistical challenge to deliver from the manufacturers Pfizer to patients.

It needs to be stored at -70C before being thawed out and can only be moved four times within that cold chain before being used.

NHS staff have been working over the weekend to prepare the sites and accept deliveries.

For BSUH it is only set to start roll out at the Royal Sussex County from Tues, Princess Royal at HH is a little further down the line. So it looks like I wont get a job for a couple more weeks, if I hear anything else I will of course let you know :)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Vaccinations starting in the following hospitals tomorrow;

Mid and South Essex NHS Foundation Trust;
Milton Keynes University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust;
East Suffolk And North Essex NHS Foundation Trust;
North West Anglia NHS Foundation Trust;
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (Great Yarmouth);
Norfolk And Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust;
Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust;
East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust;
Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust;
Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust (London);
Croydon Health Services NHS Trust;
St George’s University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (London);
King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (London);
Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust;
Chesterfield Royal Hospital NHS Foundation Trust;
Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust;
University Hospitals Coventry And Warwickshire NHS Trust;
Royal Stoke Hospital;
Northampton General Hospital NHS Trust;
University Hospitals of Derby and Burton NHS Foundation Trust;
United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust;
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust;
Shrewsbury And Telford Hospital NHS Trust;
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust;
North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust;
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust;
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust;
Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust;
South Tees NHS Trust;
Wirral University Teaching Hospital;
Liverpool University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust;
Countess of Chester Hospital NHS Foundation Trust;
Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust;
Stockport NHS Foundation Trust;
Blackpool Teaching Hospital;
Lancashire Teaching Hospital Trust;
Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust – Wexham Park Hospital;
Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust;
East Kent Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust – William Harvey Hospital;
Brighton And Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust – Royal Sussex County Hospital;
Portsmouth University Hospitals Trust;
Royal Surrey NHS Foundation Trust;
Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust;
Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust;
Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust;
University Hospitals Plymouth NHS Trust;
Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (Swindon);
Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust;
North Bristol NHS Trust.

Hospitals in Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland will also vaccinate tomorrow - but full lists of hospitals have not been published.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We now have 4 million doses of the Oxford/Astra vaccine ready to go, as soon as approved is given.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We now have 4 million doses of the Oxford/Astra vaccine ready to go, as soon as approved is given.

It will be interesting to see which dosing regimen they go with.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It will be interesting to see which dosing regimen they go with.

My guess from reading the various comments from people at Oxford is that the full/full will be approved first, with a few (short) extra trials required for the half/full, which will hopefully then be approved fairly sharpish if it continues to show better efficacy.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
My guess from reading the various comments from people at Oxford is that the full/full will be approved first, with a few (short) extra trials required for the half/full, which will hopefully then be approved fairly sharpish if it continues to show better efficacy.

The full / full is the 70% one isn't it ?

I'd rather wait for a 90% vaccine.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The full / full is the 70% one isn't it ?

I'd rather wait for a 90% vaccine.

Yes - however I think the numbers can be slightly misleading.

70% chance that you can't be infected, however so far trials show that even the 70% effective dose provides 100% efficacy against actual illness from any infection.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Yes - however I think the numbers can be slightly misleading.

70% chance that you can't be infected, however so far trials show that even the 70% effective dose provides 100% efficacy against actual illness from any infection.

Exactly. Already more than good enough for the majority of us, and if this is what can be approved initially then it's more important to get going quickly than to get the dosage perfect from the start.

Frankly I'll take whatever is approved whenever it's ready. I can't wait to get jabbed! And more imporantly can't wait for my (very) vulnerable parents to get the Pfizer jab. Shouldn't be long now (though no date set yet) and will be a HUGE weight off my mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here