Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What's the best song you have heard today? Share it here.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The Monkees started out as an artificially created band put together for a TV series of the same name, but grew into one of the biggest bands of the sixties. This was thanks to using top songwriters such as Neil Diamond and Carole King and using the studio talents of the legendary group of LA session musicians known as The Wrecking Crew. The members of The Monkeys, although initially employed as actors for the series, actually had some musical talent, Mike Nesmith was a trained guitarist and Peter Tork was a session musician as a keyboard and guitar player. All of The Monkees sang the vocals on all their songs with Davy Jones and Micky Dolenz singing most of the leads. After 2 studio albums they started to write and record their own material, Micky Dolenz had learnt the drums and they toured the world playing live concerts. A lot of their songs have become classics and this one remains one of my favourites, written by Carole King and her then husband Gerry Goffin.

Peter Tork was living with Stephen Still in Laurel Canyon. Still went to audition for the Monkees but got turned down. He suggested his room mate for the role.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
- never checked out this thread before, but this far today this is the best tune I've heard.
Bought the Monkees complete TV box set and my girls a few years ago and they love it. Best trousers in history. There's an extras dvd with their original auditions. Nesmith's Mum invented typex and it made her very wealthy. He went on to write great tunes for others including P.P.Arnold. His best Monkees tune is You Just May Be the One - but the short TV version not the one on the album. However, Stepping Stone is one of the greatest tunes thus far in history.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The Monkees started out as an artificially created band put together for a TV series of the same name, but grew into one of the biggest bands of the sixties. This was thanks to using top songwriters such as Neil Diamond and Carole King and using the studio talents of the legendary group of LA session musicians known as The Wrecking Crew. The members of The Monkeys, although initially employed as actors for the series, actually had some musical talent, Mike Nesmith was a trained guitarist and Peter Tork was a session musician as a keyboard and guitar player. All of The Monkees sang the vocals on all their songs with Davy Jones and Micky Dolenz singing most of the leads. After 2 studio albums they started to write and record their own material, Micky Dolenz had learnt the drums and they toured the world playing live concerts. A lot of their songs have become classics and this one remains one of my favourites, written by Carole King and her then husband Gerry Goffin.

I met Davy Jones in The Quadrant (long, long time ago), he talked about being a jockey, he was waiting for a cab so wasn't there for long

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
As Supergroups go they probably don't come any better or bigger than 'The Traveling Wilburys' , George Harrison,Tom Petty, Roy Orbison, Jeff Lynne and Bob Dylan, what a line up.Roy Orbison had recorded his vocals to this song but sadly died just before it was released, there's a nice tribute to him in the video, now only Jeff Lynne and Bob Dylan are left.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here