Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is YOUR livelihood threatened by Coronavirus (almost certainly a depressing thread)

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
if you can't work from home you could well suffer......just depends how far the govt. is prepared to go to suppress this so called virus.........people here in Aus are really panicking ....its bloody ridiculous , a good mate of mine has a solar panel sales business , he has had the majority of his appointments cancelled next week 23 out of 28..!! another is a pilot instructor / trainer at Perth airport .....the majority of his clients are Singas...Honkers & Chinese ....his business is just ****ed....if middle business people start going down ,the whole construction/renovation business will be one of the first to get hit.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
It is all so very sad - many people will be impacted, including my daughter who is self employed

For me pension fund taking a huge hit, which means I may have to work part time for longer, but certainly not going to be impacted as much as others will.

But in the end I’m more worried about actually making it through to next year so money isn’t the greatest concern at the moment

:down: chin up pal .....you ok..?? don't let this get you down if you can help it .....it will do nobody any good, specially you mate..

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Probably, we have aimed at the more senior market with our menu, lots of old fashion ‘English’ food. We have already had 2 really quiet days since Johnson’s “You’re all going to die” speech.
It will bea tough few months, I think.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not really as retired but it looks like any chance of a holiday is not going to happen

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Has really hit me today, being in the travel business, just how dire the future looks currently..

We have such a wide variety of professions covered by NSC

Is anybody feeling confident that their livelihood can ride this out? Let’s hear from you!

If any mods feel this is a thread too far, please delete

:down:

Same sector, airline industry, luckily company is able to ride this out even if they shut the doors for 400 days as has large cash reserves. But some massive developments in the past few days to cancel all services to Malta, Czech Republic, Italy and Spain . Unprecedented times and friends in other carriers like Norwegian and Virgin are having it much worse with forced unpaid leave and/or big pay cuts.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The economy is all interlinked. Something as massive as this, is likely to be. will impact everybody eventually.
I saw something online, the other day, which estimated something like 3 trillion dollars would be wiped off of the collective world economy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I will be fine. But I have a lot of concern for others due to the huge downturn in trade and/or enforced closures. I know bar and cafe workers and owners who are now seriously worried for their jobs and businesses. A dancer who also works in my local cafe has seen all 4 of her future performances pulled....and her cafe hours reduced. A musician/artist I was with on Thursday night had a number of festival shows pulled this week. A friend works for Virgin, another recently set up his own travel company. There’s more.

What is so depressing is that if it was one or two people having a tough time you can rally round and maybe help them. With this I feel so helpless and it’s horrible to see so many people fretting about their livelihoods.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Fortunate to work on the railway which has always been seen as recession proof apparently, it doesn't mean I'm not worried about the long term affects it is going to have though.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Thankfully no - I can work from home indefinately. As it happens it might improve our company figures as many of our customers are looking at expanding their internet bandwidth to cope with wfh and more of their customers spending more time online because they themselves are at home. I'd be worried if I was in many professions though.

Exactly this

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I don't think my company will be affected tbh, and we're already set to work from home for the time being (unless a server needs prodding).

But I was chatting to one of the other Dad's at Junior Orange's football club and things sound desperate in the tourism industry, with jobs going left right and centre, they've been keeping the pubs busy...

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
A bit worried, yes. I run a conservation charity with a lot of employees in Indonesia. Our funding is part grants, which are at least secure for the next couple of years, and part direct donations - which I have to be worried about, as no doubt fund raising is going to be very difficult in coming months. And we also get income from university field courses and postgraduate students coming to our research camps in Borneo, and of course they are all cancelling. So several things being put on hold for time being.

Can cover our wages til Christmas, but the funding slow down is likely to impact 2021 more.

On the plus side, this virus could really be the breakthrough we need to stop animal trafficking to China, and 2020 is going to have exceptionally low carbon emissions.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Think I'll be ok, construction design. Budget announcement was a boost to my work in science and research sector. I work from home a lot anyway.

Can see a massive impact to a lot of industries though and a government/leader who doesn't give a damn and is only skilled in lying.

With goons in charge us and the states may be the ones that come out of this worst ultimately.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Nearly all my income now coming from company pension and as from this month, Old Age Pension, so financially I’m almost unaffected. The downside is of course I’m in the riskier age range

Me too. Although the value of the pension pot might be hit if the markets suffer. Mrs DiS's pension is an index linked teacher's pension, though, so we'll be ok.

But I feel for others!!!!!! Our kids should be OK as well. Elder daughter works for the Welsh Assembly in training role, her husband is Customs Officer (!), #2 daughter is a doctor, training to be a GP, and her partner is a (very good) science teacher.

Working in public service has its advantages, but they are all under enormous pressure at the moment got reasons other than coronavirus..

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Work in sales for an IT manufacturer. Likely will see some delay where customers prioritise BCP and remote working rather than what we do

Also manufacturing is in Asia, already seen 2-3 months of 0 or reduced manufacturing output since Chinese New Year. So impact will be 3-6 months time when there is no inventory

50% of my income is performance / sales based, so don’t sell anything don’t see the 50%. Also company share price about 40% down in last 6 weeks so likely to have impact

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
If there is a lockdown, I will be totally wiped out. I am a soletrader (not food or medicine) who will have to shut whilst still paying for rent, insurance, telephones etc etc

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not directly, but a certain irony as I’m quite likely to be made redundant shortly. Can easily work from home for the vast majority of time. Whilst the firm is suffering from Covid (we’re an Asia-dominated business) and now the market turmoil and will undoubtedly make further cutbacks as a result, it’s in no way threatened.

The market crash is really badly timed for me stopping work in terms of my pension pot though - will have to delay drawing on it for much longer than anticipated I reckon so will be living off savings/redundancy.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
A friends daughter is a cleaner last week she had half of her regular calls cancelled as people currently don't want people in there homes. I work in a local plumbers merchant and last week was really quiet, it's going to be a tough few months, I can see many independent shops going down the pan (not just a plumbing reference).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've just started a couple of months work for an organisation to arrange space at events for the summer. As you can imagine, I'll be dealing with cancellations as much as opportunities now.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Phone calls have dried up a bit but luckily got a few jobs / materials ready to go if things go tits up.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I work as a travel writer, mainly guidebooks. No one is commissioning anything, insurers are not covering trips so there's little or no work on the horizon at all for months. I'm ok-ish as just finished a project and don't live beyond my means. Plan to travel around the UK a bit and catch up with friends in distant spots over next few weeks.

Don't mean to be rude but is this not the opposite of social distancing and self isolating?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here