Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone Happy To Admit To Panic Buying/Stockpiling?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think there are likely to be some quite kind souls stuffiing their trolleys, trying to help those in need. Just be careful judging from here on in.

Indeed, my wife went twice to Tescos today one for us and second visit for self-isolating son and girlfriend.

We decided only one person needed to go however there were whole families there.

I understand the supermarkets are shortly introducing a policy of only one person and one trolley

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Indeed, my wife went twice to Tescos today one for us and second visit for self-isolating son and girlfriend.

We decided only one person needed to go however there were whole families there.

I understand the supermarkets are shortly introducing a policy of only one person and one trolley

More ****wittery really. Either Mrs D or I go in, doesn't need two of us and immediately cuts the risk of catching/spreading in half. I think part of the problem is that shopping is an excuse to leave the house........in Spain, the Government has expressly mandated that only one person can go per family at a time.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
From my experience on the shop floor this week, "I am shopping for my elderly parents/neighbours" is by far the biggest excuse for people trying to bypass the 3 item limit per customer. I never knew that there were so many people out there that did other people's shopping for them :rolleyes:. You can spot the genuine ones shopping for others as they always have a list and often wander around looking very lost trying to find the more obscure items in the shop.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You can spot the genuine ones shopping for others as they always have a list and often wander around looking very lost trying to find the more obscure items in the shop.

Tell me and Mrs Hut about it, having finally extracted a list from self-isolating son and girlfriend some items listed were xxxx yoghurt and yyyy bread.

So as Masterchef was on record we spent an hour working out what they might want and my wife spent 30 minutes on the phone to clarify. This exercise meant only 5 calls required when at the supermarket.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Yep, tried for the lot. As a father of a daughter who’s prone to colds, plus my own man-flu’s, I know all the products with paracetamol in. Plus you always get that verbal health warning on repeat “you aren’t taking any other paracetamol based products are you?”.

just sent you a PM

and I have Andrex :clap:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
From the New York Times:

Prepare your family, and communicate your plan about evacuations, resources and supplies. Experts suggest stocking at least a 30-day supply of any needed prescriptions. Consider doing the same for food staples, laundry detergent and diapers, if you have small children.

Bit different to what we're being told here.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Done our first NHS shop at asda marina this morn, queues were pretty big at 8am, worse for general public

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
During its peak week of stockpiling, Tesco sold:

3.1 million containers of liquid soap, an increase of 363%
6 million tins of beans, more than double the usual amount
3.3 million tins of tomatoes, up 115% compared to a typical week
3.6 million packets of toilet roll, an increase of 76%

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
During its peak week of stockpiling, Tesco sold:

3.1 million containers of liquid soap, an increase of 363%
6 million tins of beans, more than double the usual amount
3.3 million tins of tomatoes, up 115% compared to a typical week
3.6 million packets of toilet roll, an increase of 76%
Hopefully most of it will be donated to those in need in the near future

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
What's the general state of shelves in supermarkets now in the UK - are things essentially back to normal?

Here in Arizona (in my experience last weekend) there were still quite a few sections that were fairly empty (tinned goods, rice, paper products etc). I've been doing my grocery shopping at 7am when the store opens the last couple of Sundays; I've been able to find everything I wanted, although sometimes not the usual brand I would buy.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
What's the general state of shelves in supermarkets now in the UK - are things essentially back to normal?

Here in Arizona (in my experience last weekend) there were still quite a few sections that were fairly empty (tinned goods, rice, paper products etc). I've been doing my grocery shopping at 7am when the store opens the last couple of Sundays; I've been able to find everything I wanted, although sometimes not the usual brand I would buy.

Flour and some tinned foods (meat, some vegetables) are the main things that supermarkets are struggling to fill. Everything else is pretty much back to normal, although I have a slight concern about one of the major bread brands who seem to be delivering less and less recently.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

pretty much everything in stock, few things like pasta or tinned tomatos/passata low, anti-bac wipes sporadic. i've got everything i wanted over past two weeks, albeit between a couple of shops. understand afternoon in larger towns/cities may be more depleted.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I did the weekly shop yesterday, which here means going on foot to the butchers, greengrocers, offie and Spar/Co-op - rather than one supermarket.

It's quite interesting that our small town Co-op and Spar never even looked like running out whilst everywhere else was seeing the great panic (except of toilet roll), but in the last two weeks have been poorly supplied - so many items are now looking quite sparse and you're limited to one or two. It's almost as though they've forgotten to fill up the smaller stores and are just concentrating on the supermarkets.

Bargain Booze is limiting you to 3 bottles of one thing, so yesterday when I went in to buy a weeks supply of bottled beer, I put the ale in the bag, and I had to take 2/3 of it out again, even though they were different beers. So, instead of nine bottles of beer, I had to buy 3 beers, 3 ciders, and some wine instead. So, overall, I had the same amount, so I wasn't actually limited as such - not sure they've thought that through! And, if I had wanted to, I could have bought 3 cases of tins......

The co-op has pretty much run out of herbs and spices, which seems a really odd thing to hoard. Co-op and Spar have no rice at all, not even the ready-cooked stuff. But the greengrocers has sackfuls.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Anyone know where I can buy a normal size bag of plain and SR flour?

Birthdays coming up in the family soon and would be good to bake a cake.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007

No idea I am afraid but the Tesco I work at up here is averaging one small delivery of flour per WEEK at the moment! I read the following the other day which suggests that the problem is not a shortage of flour but a shortage of packing lines that create the smaller packets of flour sold in supermarkets. So it may be worth looking at buying a larger bag somewhere (an asian supermarket maybe?) and sharing out between family/friends.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52212760

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
No idea I am afraid but the Tesco I work at up here is averaging one small delivery of flour per WEEK at the moment! I read the following the other day which suggests that the problem is not a shortage of flour but a shortage of packing lines that create the smaller packets of flour sold in supermarkets. So it may be worth looking at buying a larger bag somewhere (an asian supermarket maybe?) and sharing out between family/friends.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52212760

Great advise. Thanks.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Lidl. otherwise scout around smaller shops and garages.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
From my experience on the shop floor this week, "I am shopping for my elderly parents/neighbours" is by far the biggest excuse for people trying to bypass the 3 item limit per customer. I never knew that there were so many people out there that did other people's shopping for them :rolleyes:.

Well, there weren’t until 10 million people were suddenly not allowed to leave their homes :shrug:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Someone here tried to take 5000 toilet rolls and 150 bottles of hand sanitiser back to the supermarket to get a refund and they told him to get stuffed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here