Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] German ultras protest Monday night games

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't see it that way in the slightest.

The only reason Ashley hasn't sold up is because he doesn't have the desire to sell.
10 to 15 games played in an empty stadium and Ashley would be gone.
By then it wouldn't just be the fans bring pressure on him it would be the Premier League and 19 other owners.

The man has only one guiding principle and that's money.

The Newcastle fans have never laid a glove on Ashley, all they've actually done is feed his power ego.

So Newcastle is gone to who? That's what I still don't get. Ashley has put them up for reportedly £300m, which nobody is arguing is an outrageous sum for a semi established premier league club with decent earning potential. If there was a serious bidder then the fans would be in some sort of position to force him into a sale ... but there isn't ... so they haven't

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So Newcastle is gone to who? That's what I still don't get. Ashley has put them up for reportedly £300m, which nobody is arguing is an outrageous sum for a semi established premier league club with decent earning potential. If there was a serious bidder then the fans would be in some sort of position to force him into a sale ... but there isn't ... so they haven't

:shootself:

Ashley can put whatever figure he wants on the club because nobody is applying pressure otherwise.

In fact it wouldn't surprise me if he gets some kind of gratification from being 'the most hated man in Newcastle' while those that hate him the most give him money.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
:shootself:

Ashley can put whatever figure he wants on the club because nobody is applying pressure otherwise.

In fact it wouldn't surprise me if he gets some kind of gratification from being 'the most hated man in Newcastle' while those that hate him the most give him money.

Or possibly he wants to sell an asset for it's value without making a horrendous loss

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Surely the point in all this is that we don't have to accept any old crap the football authorities give us. If we unite and then act in a disciplined way, then our point of view will be taken into account.

Unfortunately we don't have a very good record of doing this.

When it comes to the Premier League gate receipts are small fry, only a mass walk out would really have any impact

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It’s not our culture. We don’t unite. We divide. We lack any kind of solidarity at all levels of society, especially today. We’re not community or even family centric here. Instead, We’re much more individualist, especially in the pursuit of wealth. Not a criticism. It’s just our culture where as Volks is deeply rooted in nature and family.

And for that reason, you will never see a half empty PL stadium due to an organised protest. Apathy, yes. Emirates been like that for ages in fairness.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
You need look no further than Newcastle United FC.

Their fans despite the owner.
They are constantly moaning about their manager.
They loathe the 'lack of investment'.
It's a constant stream of protests and marches (from the nearest pub to the ground)

Yet 50,000 still turn up every other week, in their replica shirts buying pies and pints.

They could have got rid of Ashley inside 6 months and still can if that's what they really want.

New years day attendance v Leicester given as 52000 ,i was there and there was a lot less in than that . Trouble is you give your ST up in protest,it would take years to get one back.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Add in how low German ticket prices are and the German fans don't know how good they've got it.
Oh but they do know because isn't it the case that German clubs cannot be 100% privately owned? I think they have to be part owned by the supporters trust or something, so they do have quite a say in major issues. If that is the case it's quite an enviable set up.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
It's a double edged sword. On one hand it's easy to agree with fans. On the other being flexible for TV will bring in bigger revenues, which attracts better players which is what makes the PL and La Liga the 2 best on earth. The German league is good but it will never equal the premier League in revenue if it restricts TV. Pick your poison.

I pick the German system. Hands down. As a fan, I don’t really care if the “product” sells in Asia, and they seem to have plenty of decent players, the standard is hardly poor, without having fully sold their soul.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
New years day attendance v Leicester given as 52000 ,i was there and there was a lot less in than that
Perfectly illustrating the point.
There may well have been a lot less, in your opinion but the fact that there was enough people in attendance to not make it an issue everything will continue as normal.

Would anyone have noticed a completely empty stadium?

Trouble is you give your ST up in protest,it would take years to get one back.

I'm not saying any Geordies should give up their ST, just if all the Geordies want him out it wouldn't take many completely empty stadiums before he'd be gone.
If his business practices started to bring the 'global brand' of Premier League football into disrepute, pressure to sell would intensify from considerably bigger fish in his pond.

Instead we are treated to half arsed protests, celeb fans and pundits constantly moaning, sack loads of entitlement, all held together by the mantra of 'he's not going to stop me watching my team'.
The very thing that's keeping him there.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
It’s not that we don’t have a very good record, it’s a fact that a fans protest in this situation is irrelevant. A survey was done recently about PL clubs revenue. High, very high, on the list is TV income which hugely outstrips monies gained from spectator attendance. Unsavoury as it is to us committed fans we just have to suck it up.

The last time there was a major fans protest was when Man City fans were being charged £65 to watch their team play away at Arsenal. The Premier League then introduced a ceiling of £30 for away fans at all PL games.
The last true protest was when a bunch of goons ditched their club until they got the seats they liked. And they won through!!

Now that is the action of special ultras.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Oh but they do know because isn't it the case that German clubs cannot be 100% privately owned? I think they have to be part owned by the supporters trust or something, so they do have quite a say in major issues. If that is the case it's quite an enviable set up.

I believe fans have to own/run 50% of shares + 1.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I believe fans have to own/run 50% of shares + 1.

yep, German clubs have to be majority owned by the fans

there are ways round that, for example in the case of RB Leipzig, but most clubs abide by it

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Empty stands and shit banners?

I take it back. It appears the clowns at palace aren't a pale imitation of European ultras but are, in fact, trend setters. Go them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here