Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] NSC Fitness Thread

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
So little update after using MyFitnessPal mixed with a few morning/evening walks and runs around work I am down 2.1kg in around 3 weeks. Tracking has been a little tricky at times but only missed one allotted day of not counting.

Ordered some weights which will arrive tomorrow to add weight session or two a week. Good progress so far and feeling more motivated than when I started!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m progressively shedding weight by:
- next to no carbs with lunch and dinner, but with a nice bowl of porridge for breakfast to give energy for the day ahead. Replaced with lots of veg and lean protein.
- no evening snacking, in effect a mini fast between 6pm and breakfast every 24 hours.
- just a few squares of dark chocolate after dinner, rather than grazing on sweet foods.

It’s surprisingly easy to maintain all that. The willpower is avoiding the goodies in the larder for our slim teenagers.

Exercise - yoga classes and bike rides.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Doing something similar to you Westie.
However my exercise has to allow for two grammy knees so I’ve seen a physio and working on exercises to strengthen leg muscles and stretches as well.

i’ve cut out 99% of the alcohol, just an odd pint if i go to the footie, or as example 2 small glasses of vino if dining with friends.
cut out the evening grazing.
find that 2 boiled eggs and some grapefruit for breakfast gets me through to a light, salad based lunch.
All in all 17lbs lost in 5 weeks!!!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thanks for bumping the thread guys, good progress also.

I’ll do a fuller update soon, have also managed to get properly into a good routine now, after a few false starts.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
However my exercise has to allow for two grammy knees so I’ve seen a physio and working on exercises to strengthen leg muscles and stretches as well.

i’ve cut out 99% of the alcohol, just an odd pint if i go to the footie, or as example 2 small glasses of vino if dining with friends.
find that 2 boiled eggs and some grapefruit for breakfast gets me through to a light, salad based lunch.

I put some of the weight on from being completely unable to exercise, tearing an MCL knee ligament ice skating last November. It took 5 months to be given the green light to be active again, thank Christ.

Luckily my main boozing days are behind me, G&T’s or ice cold lagers a weekend treat.

I love grapefruit juice, I have a glass at breakfast time. Did you encounter a widespread shortage in the shops in the winter?

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I put some of the weight on from being completely unable to exercise, tearing an MCL knee ligament ice skating last November. It took 5 months to be given the green light to be active again, thank Christ.

Luckily my main boozing days are behind me, G&T’s or ice cold lagers a weekend treat.

I love grapefruit juice, I have a glass at breakfast time. Did you encounter a widespread shortage in the shops in the winter?

Not of G juice, but i do often get a few tins of grapefruit segments in case i’m out of fresh. They were a nightmare to get of (tins that is)

i did one of my knees in falling over a paving stone about 3 years back. Which stopped my evening walks. Tons of physio and just about every other type of alternative treatments failed to sort it so ended up with 2 operations on it. It’s better(ish) but still ruddy painful.

It’s only really since I packed up work that I’ve been able to put any real effort into shedding my bulk! 10 years back I did similar albeit that i did actually go to Sliming World. In 9 months I shifted 4 1/2 stone! A sedentary desk job, lack of spare time and a love of naughty food and wine saw it all go back on over the last 4-5 years sadly.

So, if my physio can help get me over the current soreness then it’s my intention to get fitter, swim, and lose this stack of tyres I have around my belly

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not of G juice, but i do often get a few tins of grapefruit segments in case i’m out of fresh. They were a nightmare to get of (tins that is)

i did one of my knees in falling over a paving stone about 3 years back. Which stopped my evening walks. Tons of physio and just about every other type of alternative treatments failed to sort it so ended up with 2 operations on it. It’s better(ish) but still ruddy painful.

It’s only really since I packed up work that I’ve been able to put any real effort into shedding my bulk! 10 years back I did similar albeit that i did actually go to Sliming World. In 9 months I shifted 4 1/2 stone! A sedentary desk job, lack of spare time and a love of naughty food and wine saw it all go back on over the last 4-5 years sadly.

So, if my physio can help get me over the current soreness then it’s my intention to get fitter, swim, and lose this stack of tyres I have around my belly

A virtuous circle ahead with the knee if you can do it.

I asked a physio “If I lost the excess 20 pounds, would any knee issues disappear?”.

Their reply simply “yes!”.

Last edited:

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
A virtuous circle ahead with the knee if you can do it.

I asked a physio “If I lost the excess 20 pounds, would any knee issues disappear?”.

Their reply simply “yes!”.
1lb of weight loss, results in 4lb of pressure off of the knees!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Just in case, don't forget grapefruit can be bad for you if you take certain meds for blood pressure, cholesterol etc., which you might if you need to shed a pound or two. It can turbo boost the meds and over compensate your problem.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Right, week 7 update (of potentially 52).

Apr - April was a bit of a false start, really. That said, arresting a really bad upwards trend and getting calories vaguely under control were the first missions, so it wasn't a complete failure, frustrating though it was.

Week 1 - 16st 5lbs - ave steps 6,811
Week 2 - 16st 5lbs - ave steps 7,680
Week 3 - 16st 5lbs - ave steps 7,691
Week 4 - 16st 6lbs - ave steps 9,698

May - Things starting to slot into place now - regularly hitting over 10k steps average a day, regularly logging all the foods I eat and being more conscious of choices. Also definitely starting to notice a positive change in energy levels and body composition, fitness is not just about what the scales say.

Week 5 - 16st 4lbs - ave steps 11,567
Week 6 - 16st 2lbs - ave steps 10,827
Week 7 - 16st 0lbs - ave steps - 11,613

End goal - 12st 8lbs (and a “healthy” BMI) by end of 2022/early 2023. Last time I tried to do this in 2020, earlier in this thread!) I lost weight too quickly, leading to kidney stones which then helped set my fitness back nearly 2 years.

Did a dumbbell HIIT this morning first thing, and I find any days when I start like that, I feel fantastic and super motivated for the rest of the day.

Want to see updates from others! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Well done Mello. Stick at it and you’ll get the results. Don’t beat yourself up if you have a bad week

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Right come on slackers - weather's (generally...) getting better, no excuses let's get on it.

Week 8 update (of potentially 52).

April

May
Week 8 - 15st 13lbs - ave steps - 14,730 - went huge on steps, which slightly helped to counter-balance a poor weekend where I didn't bother logging food.

My 4 year old ambled into the living room and saw me doing a HIIT session first thing this morning. "Daddy I think you're less fat than when you were REAAALLLLLY fat." *puts his hands right out to show massive fatness*

Got to enjoy the brutal honesty of a child.

End goal - 12st 8lbs (and a “healthy” BMI) by end of 2022/early 2023.

Slow and steady wins the race. Want to see updates from others.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Right come on slackers - weather's (generally...) getting better, no excuses let's get on it.

April

May
Week 8 - 15st 13lbs - ave steps - 14,730 - went huge on steps, which slightly helped to counter-balance a poor weekend where I didn't bother logging food.

My 4 year old ambled into the living room and saw me doing a HIIT session first thing this morning. "Daddy I think you're less fat than when you were REAAALLLLLY fat." *puts his hands right out to show massive fatness*

Well done keep going wish I could be as strong and dedicated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well done keep going wish I could be as strong and dedicated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So much of it is in the head. If you can get in the right headspace for it mentally, you can absolutely do it.

I've come from a place of eating 3,000+ calories a day, eating fast food for breakfast, lunch and dinner, having to stop meals halfway through because I felt like I was going to be sick, etc etc.

You CAN do it. Start by making very small tweaks, build them into habits, then once they don't feel difficult to do, add more. Your brain will adapt.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

April

May

Nice progress. I'm going in the opposite direction – weight-wise – but life has been a bit hectic/stressful, so I'm hoping as that improves, so will the fitness/activity levels...

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
So much of it is in the head. If you can get in the right headspace for it mentally, you can absolutely do it.

I've come from a place of eating 3,000+ calories a day, eating fast food for breakfast, lunch and dinner, having to stop meals halfway through because I felt like I was going to be sick, etc etc.

You CAN do it. Start by making very small tweaks, build them into habits, then once they don't feel difficult to do, add more. Your brain will adapt.

I lost 3 stone during the pandemic, mainly from changes to my diet. Unfortunately I've started to put it back on since reacquainting myself with the pub. I do intend to kickstart my efforts to shift some weight. But I thought I'd share with you that when I shifted my weight previously, I massively reduced my carb intake and it made a big difference.
My understanding of low carb diets is that your body burns sugar first and then carbs, so if you reduce sugar and carbs your body then starts burning fat. Unfortunately low carb diets mean cutting out bread, pasta and rice, which admittedly sounds rubbish. But one discovery I made which made which helped me to stick to the diet was switching to cauliflower rice. This is way better on the carb front and meant that i could still eat things like curry because i ate cauliflower rice instead. I would say that made a massive difference to me, and I'd recommend trying it.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I've only just seen this thread for the first time and it's completely up my street.
Having recently switched to Apple and got myself an Apple watch, the fitness tracker has really kept me disciplined in keeping moving and losing weight/getting fit.

I will be updating my progress here and using [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] 's template maybe with a couple of tweaks based on my Apple stats.

Saying that, if anyone also has an apple watch, I'm very open to adding people here so we can monitor each other's live progress etc.

--------------------------------------

Starting Weight: 195lbs // 88.5 kg
Goal Weight: 170lbs // 77 kg
Loss Aim: 25lbs // 1 stone 11lbs // 11.5 kg
2lb loss per week would be ideal, but its tough going, particularly controlling food.

--------------------------------------

May - Tracking Started
23rd - 29th
Total Calories Burnt: 6807
Average Per Day: 972
Walk and Cycle Move Distance: 41.35 km
Active Time: 9h 54m

Weekly activities including elliptical/cross-trainer, volleyball, cycling, a weekly hike, and the odd game of tennis.
Moving for at least 30 minutes doing one of the above activities, every day, 7 days a week.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Just spotted this too.

My weight has always fluctuated between 18-22 stone.
I'm rubbish at exercise and time poor so Ive been focusing on diet and laying off the booze. Ive also restarted playing football once a week which is about the only exercise thats fun. I may move to twice a week soon.

Im currently 2.5 stone down from peak post covid weight but it is slow progress

I've found over time that I cant skip breakfast without overeating later and so try to keep it to a light 250-300 calories.

Also the following foods and drinks are helpful in controlling my intake/getting more protein/satisfying cravings

Alcohol free guinness
Toasted sandwiches. (Melted cheese and fried bread feel naughtier than a plain sandwich)
Frozen cooked chicken and Prawns
Tinned Tuna/Mackerel and eating more fish in general
Mini magnums
All Bran
Mexicana cheese
All manner of condiments incl. Hot and sour paste, nasi goreng paste, tamarind paste, jalapenos, pickles and horseradish.
Frozen dim sum
Lunchbox sized camembert
Veg, veg, lots of veg.

If my weight stays the same week to week its a victory. If I lose weight i make sure there is a (not too destructive) reward.

In my view, going too severe on a diet isnt sustainable. Small adjustments to portion size, using leaner protein and including more veg can make big differences.

You can still eat shit food, just eat less of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here