Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Very Low Calorie Diet

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Fair enough I guess I'm looking at it from a parent's perspective again. Pick up daughter from nursery, home at 6, give her snack and a bath, bedtime stories, screaming fit, one more story, daddy I'm not tired, oh shit it's 9 o'clock.

I've been there, thankfully mine are now a bit older.

Many also choose to eat late, eating at 5, 6 or 7 just isn't there thing. Family of mine like to enjoy a big dinner at 8 or 9 in the evening with wine every weekday, despite being home by 6.

Their 16 year olds are given a more youth friendly dinner such as pasta early doors.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The medical advice I've received assures me that at my age with no other health problems a VLCD for 12 weeks is my best bet for reversing newly diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes. The kind of discipline required suits my 'all or nothing' life long behaviours. I just can't do moderation, I need rules. After 12 weeks is likely when I'll really struggle, as that's where the sustained healthy behaviour has to happen.

Good luck - hope it works..........there's no single solution that suits everyone.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
All the best to you too brother.

Would it be self indulgent to blog about progress in this thread? It feels very supportive already and it's clear there are several folk on the same journey.

Definitely not.........sharing weight loss experience will prompt a whole ton of debate on here (will just have to ignore the usual few who'll ask whether they've stumbled on to mumsnet by mistake etc). I bet a fair % of the posters on here could do with losing a few lbs (including those that will naturally take the piss).

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Lots of suggestions on this thread that will work, there's a million ways to do this - the thing you have to do is find what fits in with your life and what is attainable from your current position.

800 calories a day + excercise for a sustained period will be unbelievably hard, but just read your post above and if you're single minded enough it's doable. I once got from 12.5st 16% body fat to 13.5st and 8% body fat in 3 months, that was a combination of keto and carb backloading. At that point in my life work was quite relaxed and I didn't have a bird or a kid. By the 3rd month I became really boring because all I had to talk about was work, diet or gym! But it did serve a purpose.

The best thing I did was get up 1.5 hours early and go for a walk for an hour and then cook 2 boiled eggs for breakfast. It wasn't just the exercise, that time was really good to clear my mind and set myself up for the day. It won't drop the weight on it's own but it's just a really good habit, I wish I still had time to do that.

Good luck with it all, kepp us updated :thumbsup:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
All well and good but virtually impossible for anyone in full time work, especially if you want to prepare it yourself.
Very difficult for a lot of people, particularly with young kids.

Fair enough I guess I'm looking at it from a parent's perspective again. Pick up daughter from nursery, home at 6, give her snack and a bath, bedtime stories, screaming fit, one more story, daddy I'm not tired, oh shit it's 9 o'clock.

I'm in the same boat, so many things had to be sacrificed in the last year otherwise I'd never spend any time with my son.

To keep on topic, luckily for me a gym has just opened by my office so I signed up today and plan to do 45mins bike or run at lunchtimes. One thing I'm really looking forward to is using their shower for more than the 1 minute I get at home!

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I had been tempted to start an NSC Fitness/Weight Loss Thread for some time, but this sounds like it might become that.

I'd been slowly gaining weight over the last 5 years (about half a stone a year) until I checked myself back in Sept 2019 and realised I was 17 stone 9 pounds. My eating habits were ****ing atrocious - fast food all the time, probably doing at least 2,500-3,000 calories a day, with very little protein - all carbs and fat.

That slightly shocking revelation - and the realisation that I want to set a good example for my young son and to be active with him as much as possible, as well as wanting to extend my life expectancy to see him grow up - meant going on a health kick, which started in late 2019 but really kicked on from 1st Jan 2020 onwards.

So far I have lost just over 2 stone (nearly halfway through an overall goal of losing 5), doing the following;

1. Drink shitloads of water - has tonnes of associated benefits, helps keep you feeling full, sorts things like skin, hair, nails right out etc.

2. Walk 10,000 steps a day - there are genuine arguments to be made for walking being better than jogging for pure weight loss. This is because jogging/intense exercise can spike your Cortisol hormone which means you feel more hungry after jogging than walking.

3. Jog/Football/Badminton 2-3 times a week - fortunately I really enjoy exercise, otherwise I'd be much larger already.

4. Have more protein in your diet - You might already be good at this, I wasn't. Means you will feel fuller on less calories, and evens out your hormones so you aren't reliant on sugar for energy, which can also cause mood and energy swings.

5. Intermittent Fasting - Sounds like you might have to do this anyway, given that you're looking at 800 calories a day. I now don't eat anything past around 8pm and tend not to break fast until around 11am. You will get a few days of feeling a bit hungry but your body does get used to the new routine after a while.

6. Calorie Deficit - Bit of an obvious one, but making sure less calories in than out.

7. Minimal Snacking - This was a really hard one for me, but it's totally possible to retrain your brain. We don't need to snack. We're bored and just want to. Have water instead, or at least something relatively healthy like fruit or nuts. I now crave fast/crap food far less than I did even a couple of months back.

8. Some weight training - even if you're not looking to put on a load of muscle, just a bit will help swing weight loss in a positive direction, as resting muscle burns more fat than resting fat does, and you'll feel more energised generally.

9. Be patient and consistent - You won't always see the results straight away - or you may see an early weight loss (this is water weight being lost quite often) and then a plateau where it feels like you can't get past a certain point. I've had weeks where I've been certain that I've done really well, and then the scales tell another story. It's also not just about weight loss - it's body fat %, and also body composition which you can sometimes just see from looking in the mirror. It's the extra energy and better mood you'll hopefully/probably have too!

Good luck with your journey mate, keep us updated in here. :thumbsup:

All excellent advice.

On 8, the other advantage about weights or other exercise is that it speeds up your metabolism (calorie-burn) for 24 hours, so an hour spent in the gym or brisk-walking has significant weight-loss benefits for the next day or so.

Also, longer-term, trying to change eating habits altogether, rather than thinking '"I'm on a diet". Small, easy things, like grilling or pan-frying fish or meat, rather than frying in oil.

Also, I've started drinking 0% alcohol lager (Heineken 00, Becks Blue), which has less than 100 calories per bottle, but tastes exactly the same as normal lager; you honestly can't tell the difference - years ago, alcohol-free beer like 'Kaliber' was disgusting. Pubs are also starting to sell 0% alcohol lager on draught, because they know that demand for 'healthier' beers is increasing every year.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I found the 5:2 diet helped me. Two days a week eating just 500 calories and eating 'normally' for the other five days.
During the two days, I may feel tempted to indulge in something tasty, but I just promise myself I can have it tomorrow. As long as you don't pig out on the 5 days, it does work.

K1ngKaz

Oct 10, 2010
Any words of wisdom out there?

I'm a mid forties fat lad and my GP has waved the diabetes red flag at me. I have a chance right now to begin to reverse it with 12 weeks of 800 calories a day and some exercise. I've ordered a 4 week box of meal supplements recommended by the doc. I've oiled the bike chain and fitted some lights.

Have any of you done this or similar? Is there already a thread (I couldn't find one)? Maybe one of you has a hollywood style success story for Tom Hanks to get evangelical about.....?

Much appreciated

A very apprehensive jonnyrovers

Have a look at Keto diet, a friend reversed early onset diabetes with this diet and then maintained healthy eating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
That's amazing, well done to your wife (and yourself of course). What do you think it was about this diet that meant she stuck to it and didn't get discouraged etc? I definitely need to still cut out more carbs, find them way too easily to get through.

I think it was basically that she could still eat all the food she loved! Lots of chicken, veg, cheese, nuts etc, so plenty of fat and protein instead. Weve managed to find a couple of bits which are substitutes (Eg: soy bean spaghetti...goes great with bolognese or a stir fry) but generally we find other "replacements". For example, we went into Eds for lunch yesterday, and I had a double grilled chicken breast, melted cheese, bacon, chilli, with a side salad and a bowl of coleslaw. Absolutely stuffed...and no bun or fries. Perfect.

I was sceptical at first - but having seen her transformation, Im very open to doing it. Shes also become a whizz in the kitchen (makes a mean chicken, broccoli and bacon cheesy bake now!) which she has never been in 20yrs of marriage.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I honestly think a calorie controlled diet if you are going to do it is the way to go

There is no food denial, no days without food, no days without carbs etc and you can still have a beer, as I say if it fits in to your intake allowance.

Sure you cant eat and drink all of those things all the time.

the only way to lose weight is to properly track and follow your calories, and to move more. And that can mean just walking.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think it was basically that she could still eat all the food she loved! Lots of veg, cheese, nuts etc, so plenty of fat and protein instead. Weve managed to find a couple of bits which are substitutes (Eg: soy bean spaghetti...goes great with bolognese or a stir fry) but generally we find other "replacements". For example, we went into Eds for lunch yesterday, and I had a double grilled chicken breast, melted cheese, bacon, chilli, with a side salad and a bowl of coleslaw. Absolutely stuffed and no bun or fries. Perfect.

I was sceptical at first - but having seen her transformation, Im very open to doing it. Shes also become a whizz in the kitchen (makes a mean chicken, broccoli and bacon cheesy bake now!) which she has never been in 20yrs of marriage.

Think my Wife would just appreciate the benefit of less snoring from me.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
All the best to you too brother.

Would it be self indulgent to blog about progress in this thread? It feels very supportive already and it's clear there are several folk on the same journey.

That's the plan ....... we should celebrate and draw encouragement from each other (*I've said I'll do this before, and failed, but this time .....)

I can see the plan now, Paul Barber puts everyone on a calorie controlled diet, we all lose 3 stone making room for 2,000 seats!!! #barberout #barberdiet #caloriedcustomers

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Im going to give a shout out for the keto diet (low carbs).
As mentioned on the running thread in Jan, my wife "went keto" in Jan 1st '19 after years of health problems and piling on the pounds. She tried all sorts of diets previously, which worked in the short-term, but fell by the wayside long-term. By Jan 1st this year she had lost an amazing 10 stone, found running (which she had never shown an interest in before) and is now talking about buying a bike for the Summer to get to work. Its been a massive lifestyle change for her, and she is now down to a size 12/14 and looks amazing. Its also cut down massively on her health problems as well, which is brilliant.
I started cutting out a lot of carbs in Jan this year (I was north of 15 stone & had been advised to lose some weight due to a fatty liver) as well as the usual junk food habits, and have lost over a stone already. Im not missing crisps & chocolate bars, which were my real vice, and I've not really missed pasta, rice, potatoes etc either tbh. Its been pretty easy cutting it all out, and would recommend it to anyone. It may not be for everyone, but all the people I know who have tried it have seen great results.

Was reading through all the posts on this thread wondering if someone was going to mention the Keto diet. That’s a fantastic result from your wife.

Me and my Mrs have literally started on it just 5 days ago. I was 15st 3lbs when starting it - already lost a few pounds. Don’t feel hungry at all and I’ve struggled to get near my calorie target each day so far.

My biggest challenge so far was 10 plus hours on the coach for the Sheffield United game. I just had to prepare Keto friendly food to take ... and then watch the chap I usually travel with munching through crisps, croissants, cake etc!! LOL

My wife has been making a couple of little Keto treats - a chocolate day bomb and a peanut butter mouse!

Even after just 5 days my blood pressure has gone from appx 150/95 to this morning’s average of 132/78 !!!

It’s all about getting the body to burn fat stores! Will see how things go over the next month or so!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Was reading through all the posts on this thread wondering if someone was going to mention the Keto diet. That’s a fantastic result from your wife.

Me and my Mrs have literally started on it just 5 days ago. I was 15st 3lbs when starting it - already lost a few pounds. Don’t feel hungry at all and I’ve struggled to get near my calorie target each day so far.

My biggest challenge so far was 10 plus hours on the coach for the Sheffield United game. I just had to prepare Keto friendly food to take ... and then watch the chap I usually travel with munching through crisps, croissants, cake etc!! LOL

My wife has been making a couple of little Keto treats - a chocolate day bomb and a peanut butter mouse!

Even after just 5 days my blood pressure has gone from appx 150/95 to this morning’s average of 132/78 !!!

It’s all about getting the body to burn fat stores! Will see how things go over the next month or so!

What happens when you reach your weight goal? Do you have to continue on Keto? I've also read that once you stop the weight returns quickly, but is that right or just a lack of discipline?

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
What happens when you reach your weight goal? Do you have to continue on Keto? I've also read that once you stop the weight returns quickly, but is that right or just a lack of discipline?

Good question ... and a question that applies to all of the other great suggestions on here.

My wife has done more reading than me - but my understanding is that you can gradually increase the amount of carbs you can eat. But ‘good’ carbs.

My ‘net carb’ daily allowance is 30g - my wife is working to 20g. We have to avoid veg that grows underground ... so spuds, carrots, parsnips etc - as they have a relatively high carb content. Spinach, broccoli and cauliflower are fine - but you still need to weigh them out. We are using a Keto app which really helps keep track of calories, carbs, protein and fats. You also need to be careful not to have too much protein as the body (liver) can turn the protein into carbs!

I love chocolate ... more than I love red wine ... so I’m hoping it’ll help get me off that craving!!

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018

Sorry - I didn’t answer the last bit.

I guess if I lost the weight I want - and then return to eating as I was before - of course the weight will return. So yeah ... discipline is important ... and just making gradual changes over time. And you can always go back on it if you need to kick start it again I guess.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Your toothbrush is your friend .....

..... so what I mean is that as soon as you've finished your dinner, brush your teeth. You find you don't fancy eating any pudding or snacking in the evening. It sort of works at lunch as well.

Just something I started doing which worked for me

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
The Fast 800 is very doable - I did it for 8 weeks last summer and dropped 2.5 stone. Never been a big veg fan - but actually replacing potato/rice/pasta with cabbage/colly/broccolli etc really wasn't a big deal. No getting away from the fact that you are hungry - but get in the mindset of drinking water and finding something else to do than eat and it soon becomes a positive thing. The weight comes off fast which is also quite encouraging. Best of luck!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Your toothbrush is your friend .....

..... so what I mean is that as soon as you've finished your dinner, brush your teeth. You find you don't fancy eating any pudding or snacking in the evening. It sort of works at lunch as well.

Just something I started doing which worked for me

This is a great shout. Brushing my teeth is almost a subconscious thing to tell my body “no more food today”. Always works for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here