Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] A Question of Etiquette

el punal

No, not the follow up to a popular sports programme, but a genuine question.

For many a year, as taught to me at school, when I write a letter (quaint) or send an email to an organisation or body whose recipient I don't know I always start with...

Dear Sir / Madam...

Now in these days of gender neutrality, gender transfer, etc., how should I start my missive so I don't inadvertently upset anyone?

“Greetings Earthling”

There, that should cover all the bases. :drink:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No, not the follow up to a popular sports programme, but a genuine question.

For many a year, as taught to me at school, when I write a letter (quaint) or send an email to an organisation or body whose recipient I don't know I always start with...

Dear Sir / Madam...

Now in these days of gender neutrality, gender transfer, etc., how should I start my missive so I don't inadvertently upset anyone?

To whom it may concern.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
As a recipient of these letters / emails - I much prefer Dear Sir/Madam, to 'Dear Bodian' from someone whom I've never met, and am unlikely to get on with anyway!

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I remember somebody sending an email to the organisation I work at and addressing it "Dear Lady/Sire". That always amused me. I also had one recently that started with "Dear Individual", which I thought was interesting.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think this can sometimes be sector specific. I work in the education sector and 'Dear Colleague' seems to be the most used way of starting an email if you don't know the recipient's name, or where an email is going to multiple recipients - regardless of whether they are your Colleague or not.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As suggested earlier, 'Good morning' / 'Good afternoon' are good options, if you don't know the gender or the person you're addressing.

In fact, I tend to use those, even when I DO know them. 'Good morning Richard' sounds more NORMAL to me than 'Dear Richard', etc.

Sign off, is almost always 'Best regards', or 'Thanks and best regards'

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

You'll be fine.

The gender transfer window has closed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
To Whom It May Concern

Well epic and dead fookin' classeh too.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Formal = Dear Sir, yours faithfully or Dear John, yours sincerely e.g. in your situation, that’s appropriate.
Informal = Hello John, regards (if don’t know person yet)...all this ‘kind’ regards, ‘best’ regards is really naff and unnecessary. It’s become normalised though.
Very informal = Hi John, thanks (if know person quite well)

My experience is that big shot clients don’t like Hi or Hey at all and if you know them Dear is a bit old fashioned. Just start with the first name.

Peter,

Etc etc

Signing off with “Best”

If it’s a complaint or query to a big impersonal company

To whom it may concern

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I'm not one for formalities and like to keep things friendly, so whatever the occasion, I usually start it with 'Dear Cheeky-chops'.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
"Totes awks" is my daughter's 'go to' in this sort of situation.

Hope that like totally helps? Yeh?

Whatev's,

Bry

:cry:

Ohmigod, I literally died laughing

You OK Hun? PM me if you need to talk, babe :wink:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My experience is that big shot clients don’t like Hi or Hey at all and if you know them Dear is a bit old fashioned. Just start with the first name.

Peter,

Etc etc

Signing off with “Best”

If it’s a complaint or query to a big impersonal company

To whom it may concern

Oh, completely. These days almost anything goes depending on the individual and how well you know them, who they work for, who they are. I’ve had clients with more initials that the alphabet and get one of the dots wrong and that’s six figures business in jeopardy. That’s knowing the client though. Comes later. Lots of really bad advice out there for youngsters and the inexperienced who can come across from the get go as way too informal.

Personally anyone not signing off using ‘I am, and remain, your most obedient and humble servant...’ gets binned immediately in my book. Using a quality wax on the envelope also helps.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here